Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers vs Bath

Post by Duncan B »

RagingBull wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 7:30 pm
Duncan B wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 7:29 pm Did they? Because who was the last exceptional academy player?
You don't create exceptional players though.
You can improve them.

Also the players who came up through those two are still only 21/20.
Ok I agree with that, but compare our home grown players that age profile to Saints (very fair comparison) and it’s pretty clear we haven’t been as successful there as we used to be. James Grayson, Ehren Painter, James Fish, Lewis Ludlam, George Furbank and Rory Hutchinson have all Ben exceptional this season. Alex Moon has been decent too. Our lads haven’t impressed me.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

CMK would have a lot more to answer for if I missed the bus because of his incompetence!

How is he a ref at even National 2 level goes beyond me!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Duncan B wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 7:44 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 7:30 pm
Duncan B wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 7:29 pm Did they? Because who was the last exceptional academy player?
You can improve them.

Ok I agree with that, but compare our home grown players that age profile to Saints (very fair comparison) and it’s pretty clear we haven’t been as successful there as we used to be. James Grayson, Ehren Painter, James Fish, Lewis Ludlam, George Furbank and Rory Hutchinson have all Ben exceptional this season. Alex Moon has been decent too. Our lads haven’t impressed me.
Easier to play better in a winning team though.
also Hutchinson, Ludlam, Fish and Furbank have 2/3 years on the other players nearly on our 20/21 year olds.
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duncan B »

RagingBull wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 7:53 pm [quote="Duncan B" post_id=718658 time=<a href="tel:1558205069">1558205069</a> user_id=1154]
[quote=RagingBull post_id=718654 time=<a href="tel:1558204257">1558204257</a> user_id=10459]
[quote="Duncan B" post_id=718653 time=<a href="tel:1558204150">1558204150</a> user_id=1154]
Did they? Because who was the last exceptional academy player?
You can improve them.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Easier to play better in a winning team though.
also Hutchinson, Ludlam, Fish and Furbank have 2/3 years on the other players nearly on our 20/21 year olds.
[/quote]

Again absolutely true. But I’ve also seen them play pretty impressively in some dead rubber champions cup games which saints have lost heavily and in the prem in a losing cause too.
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

BigDan50 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 7:26 pm Blaming the ref again when we lose, utterly ridiculous.
We're you at the game?!?!!
RothleyTiger56

Post by RothleyTiger56 »

Well, that’s over and out from me. Over twenty years as aTigers season ticket holder. Despite having received my Tigers “Legend” lanyard I have felt a real disconnect with the club and team for the last two seasons ( particularly this season for obvious reasons). I’ll still attend as and when as it’s never a sell out these days. Good luck all but it’s the end of a twenty one year era for me.☹️
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

ok
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

We saw a lot more committment, stronger defence and alot less kicking the ball away. There were some controversial decisions today, as well as earlier in the season, but at the end of the day we ran Bath close and they have been a much stronger team this year. Comparing their starting 15 to ours I would have expected a heavier defeat so, whilst losing is never acceptable, I saw enough fight to give encouragement. At the end of the day we saw the team give their all, albeit not enough in the end, and we had a good day out. I see enough to give encouragement for next season and the build to a better place over the next couple of years.
As Good As It Gets
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Like or not our injury list has been awful : George Ford played 15 games out of the 22 and only the much maligned Kalamafoni played more games despite being banned for 3. How any coach can get players to gel when each week there has been a different set of backs. Toby Booth recently told BT he could understand Tigers’ problems as all season “ they have had so many players out it impacts upon training as you have to make sure you have a team out for matches.
Thought Eastmond had his best game for ages today as did most of the team.
Time to move on. Will be there next season, as I have for nearly 50 years,and to those who aren’t, well where’s your commitment?
Good luck next season Geordan.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Ian Cant wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 9:39 pm Like or not our injury list has been awful : George Ford played 15 games out of the 22 and only the much maligned Kalamafoni played more games despite being banned for 3. How any coach can get players to gel when each week there has been a different set of backs. Toby Booth recently told BT he could understand Tigers’ problems as all season “ they have had so many players out it impacts upon training as you have to make sure you have a team out for matches.
Time to move on. Will be there next season, as I have for nearly 50 years,and to those who aren’t, well where’s your commitment?
+1 ...again !!
As Good As It Gets
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Scuttle wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 9:47 pm
Ian Cant wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 9:39 pm Like or not our injury list has been awful : George Ford played 15 games out of the 22 and only the much maligned Kalamafoni played more games despite being banned for 3. How any coach can get players to gel when each week there has been a different set of backs. Toby Booth recently told BT he could understand Tigers’ problems as all season “ they have had so many players out it impacts upon training as you have to make sure you have a team out for matches.
+1 ...again !!
Can't and wont go with this view of the season; I believe the seasons stats tell a more truthful story - home wins, away wins and points conceded ?
If anyone other that Murphy had overseen this debacle we would all have been baying for blood long before now.A teflon coating cant last forever, these 'excuses' are lamentable.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Luck is insufficient to make Murphy or anyone else at Tigers something clearly they are not. I shall be back next year again but I have no truck with the endless Tigers spin and those questioning of fellow supporters who vote with their feet. Its their money and their choice how to spend it.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

BigDan50 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 7:26 pm Blaming the ref again when we lose, utterly ridiculous.
No it isn’t. The ref was absolutely useless today.

I would say this whatever the result.

If anyone thinks otherwise they are deluded and have no idea!
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

A bit of perspective on points conceded. At the beginning of the season Tigers were leaking points badly and and these were down to defensive issues and also losing players to red cards.The defence has improved and teams have generally been made to work hard to score their tries rather than just walking through freely. A settled team with a fewer number of injuries and suspensions would have helped.
Also, the number of games lost by less than seven points - if some of those had been wins then the team would have finished top 6 in all probabilities. Small margins and we are where we are and have staved off relegation. 19 players leaving is a huge clear out and hope that the new signings and the development players can gel with the remaining senior players and see a better finish next season.
Am sure that the whole set up will be reviewed and some changes made to provide the right coaching support for the team.
I have just woken up....was it just a bad dream? To all those that have followed the team this season, home, away or from afar, have a great summer, enjoy the World Cup and look forward to next season.

:smt023
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

I dont like to blame the ref when we lose but today some of his decisions were very dodgy and cost Tigers points that would probably have won the game.
A good game of rugby and one which many thought Bath would win by a big margin, not the case!
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk