Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 7

Post by Traveller »

Brutus wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 4:08 pm
Dangerous4 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 2:40 pm In a nutshell, I am more concerned with what coaches are coming in ( if any ), than I am about players.
+1
I sort of am. The coaching has been woeful for a while. But it struck me when the list of those departing Welford Road was released earlier in the week, how few we will miss. Obviously Smithy & Tait have come to the end of great club and international / club careers respectively. But nearly all of the other leavers who are still playing are never going to form a team that wins anything. The only exception is Toomua - and well, I won't gnaw on that particular bone any more. 4-8 has always been underpowered for three / four years now allied to which they haven't been coached.

I'm interested to know (genuinely) who you would like to see come in on the coaching front that might be a realistic option?
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Traveller wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 6:55 pm I'm interested to know (genuinely) who you would like to see come in on the coaching front that might be a realistic option?
Speaking for myself I haven't a clue. I wouldn't have a clue about player recruitment either. I mean who would have said we should sign Ayerza, TV, Genge, Parling. The best signings are the ones nobody knows about. It's not quite the same with coaches but who called McCall at Saracens as a stroke of genius, or indeed even Lancaster at Leinster. We have experts (sic) to do this stuff for us.
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

ourla wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:58 pm
Traveller wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 6:55 pm I'm interested to know (genuinely) who you would like to see come in on the coaching front that might be a realistic option?
Speaking for myself I haven't a clue. I wouldn't have a clue about player recruitment either. I mean who would have said we should sign Ayerza, TV, Genge, Parling. The best signings are the ones nobody knows about. It's not quite the same with coaches but who called McCall at Saracens as a stroke of genius, or indeed even Lancaster at Leinster. We have experts (sic) to do this stuff for us.
We do indeed.

It’s always irritated me how people insist we get rid of people but never know who to replace them with.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

TigerCam wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 5:03 pm It is to so much about the top academy players leaving; the past few years it has been they have been got rid of on the pretext that they are not good enough only to prove that with a bit of patience and nurturing they do come good?
Who? Nurturing where? Who has left our academy to go straight into a team consistently playing top 4 rugby?
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

ourla wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:58 pm
Speaking for myself I haven't a clue. I wouldn't have a clue about player recruitment either. I mean who would have said we should sign Ayerza, TV, Genge, Parling. The best signings are the ones nobody knows about.
They are also some of the hardest to keep hold of too.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Seriously all this talk about taking 3 years to getting back to the top of English rugby. If we persist with Murphy that is massively optimistic whereas appoint a world class DOR now who knows what his is doing and it shall happen quicker!
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

sapajo wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:40 am Seriously all this talk about taking 3 years to getting back to the top of English rugby. If we persist with Murphy that is massively optimistic whereas appoint a world class DOR now who knows what his is doing and it shall happen quicker!
Every other club is reinforcing as well or better than we are with the exception of Worcester, hard to see how we make any gains up the table with the same heads in charge.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Looking at the massive forward power Sale have recruited from South Africa makes me realise just how far behind Tigers management are in terms of purchase quality...Cannot see us ever rising from the Ashes, parallel to Manchester United and the Tory Party.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

fortysix wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 11:18 am Looking at the massive forward power Sale have recruited from South Africa makes me realise just how far behind Tigers management are in terms of purchase quality...Cannot see us ever rising from the Ashes, parallel to Manchester United and the Tory Party.
Sale had masses of cap space to play with and we don't, They are also paying way over market value to get some of those players
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

fortysix wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 11:18 am Looking at the massive forward power Sale have recruited from South Africa makes me realise just how far behind Tigers management are in terms of purchase quality...Cannot see us ever rising from the Ashes, parallel to Manchester United and the Tory Party.
Even comparing our probable pack for next season against the likes of Sale, Bristol and possibly London Irish, it looks like we’re going to struggle, especially away from home.

Take Sale for example, they will arguably have a better pack than us. So no wonder we’re so far behind Saracens and Exeter. Hopefully the forward recruitment isn’t finished and we’ll bring in some more quality.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Dont believe this cap space :censored:, its about getting out there and identifying Saffas who would fit seamlessly into our team, and BUY THEM !!!
They are in the main dirt cheap, as the Rand is woeful. Tigers need someone out there as a recruiter asap. If they have one already, then he is utterly useless.
I'd rather have De Jager over Tuilagi any day.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

I am more positive about the forthcoming season than some. The problems have been well documented. A set of backs about as good as anyones. An underpowered pack from 4-8. Zero 'escalator' building with talented academy graduates. Next year the backs will have better balance and depth. The pack at 4-8 is already stronger if the 'new recruits' (announced and unannounced) come.

The issue now is the quality of coaching. Even a Saracens XV would not be the smooth machine it is today if those players had to work through a Southern Hemisphere coach being appointed to work alongside Mark McCall (both coaches having different visions on how the game should be played). Fire McCall and ask SH coach to act as interim. Don't appoint interim. Conduct worldwide search and decide the preferred option is coach MOC who had been at the club before and who had been fired two year into his first Head Coach's role. Decide not to appoint a forwards coach. Appoint four defence coaches and an attack coach and fire all of them in six years. Fire MOC on first day of season because he forgets to organise a pre-season, appoint a skills coach on an interim basis as HC. On the basis of a played 9 lost 8 record confirm the appointment of interim. Appoint defence coach because "he lives locally, is available, and knows the club because he's worked here before", and when relegation threatens bring in a consultant coach (the fly half's dad) with five games to go.

Would Saracens be European champions with that coaching record?

There is no reason why the Tigers team of 2019-2020 with competent coaching should not be competing with Gloucester next year. Their 2019-2020 squad is no better than Tigers. It just requires first class coaching. That is if Tigers are a first class club.

The perplexing thing is that on the Tigers website the opening phrase reads as follows: Leicester Tigers are one of the WORLD'S - note WORLDS - most famous rugby union clubs.' Yet the board believe that the club will be successful with a mix of novice, apprentice or at best second rate coaches. A wise man once told me 'life is all about expectations........'
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ellis Genge

Post by wellstiger »

So Pat Lamb is making efforts to attract Ellis back to Bears. He appreciates Ellis is bound by another years/seasons contract, but believes he can get a deal before next season.
Ellis is missing home and family. It wouldn't take much for him to get back to Knowle,Bristol.

My questions -
Is this another player to leave pre season?
What carrot is Lamb producing for us to help the transfer?
If not this next season 19/20 then will he go after - 20/21? :smt013
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Ellis Genge

Post by anz3001 »

Source of these efforts Pat Lam is making?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Ellis Genge

Post by Scott1 »

He won't go before next season but next season will be his last would be my guess on the situation
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer