Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 7

Post by RagingBull »

Don't think Glynn is leaving the club.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

RagingBull wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:00 am Don't think Glynn is leaving the club.
RagingBull wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:00 am Don't think Glynn is leaving the club.
Getting him away from the seniors will be good enough.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

After 5 seasons of totally inept recruitment it strikes me that as supporters our expectations are very low. I fear that whilst our competitors sign serious talent that we will continue to get left behind. I still question looking at our announced new signings if we truly are actually spending up to the cap.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

sapajo wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:49 am After 5 seasons of totally inept recruitment it strikes me that as supporters our expectations are very low. I fear that whilst our competitors sign serious talent that we will continue to get left behind. I still question looking at our announced new signings if we truly are actually spending up to the cap.
Considering the likes of Ford, May, Genge are out of contract next season, paying up to the cap this year may not be in the best long term interest.

I'm also not sure how you can say Lavanini and Taufau do not represent serious talent. Who exactly do you expect us to sign? Yes, Etzebeth and De Juger would have been amazing signings but we tried that in the backs remember (Ford, May, Toomua) and it's not exactly resonated with success has it?!

We are, in my humble opinion, much better equipped for the next season. A nasty, aggressive pack that will secure the ball and allow the backs to flow.
Richard Burnett
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Lam putting the feelers out for Genge , bit disrespectful when he's still under contract although I haven't saw the interview so could be taking it out of context,I'm just going on the headline. Let's cherish him because this will most likely his last season with us!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Scott1 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:30 am Lam putting the feelers out for Genge , bit disrespectful when he's still under contract although I haven't saw the interview so could be taking it out of context,I'm just going on the headline. Let's cherish him because this will most likely his last season with us!
He just said he'd be the kinda guy he wants back at the team because he's local but also said he's not sure if they could fit him into the cap
Goshengareth

Post by Goshengareth »

The premiership is getting so competitive and it would be hard to point to our signings be that much better than some other clubs. Look at Sale. And I currently have more faith in Diamond as a coach - if most certainly not as a person.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

kpj tiger wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:33 am
Scott1 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:30 am Lam putting the feelers out for Genge , bit disrespectful when he's still under contract although I haven't saw the interview so could be taking it out of context,I'm just going on the headline. Let's cherish him because this will most likely his last season with us!
He just said he'd be the kinda guy he wants back at the team because he's local but also said he's not sure if they could fit him into the cap
Sounded like a conversation had been had. Bristol will be stupid not to be in for him. I cant imagine how we'll convince him to stay unfortunately.
Richard Burnett
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

The only chance we have is if it's a full 180 and we start competing again but I can't see that. Is it his last year contract wise?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

The Lam interview is a bit of nothing.

He was asked about Genge directly
What else would Pat say?
Said Genge would be the type of player he wanted BUT would have to think about cap, Squad Balance other things.
I think most people do see Genge leaving at some stage.
But Bristol might not want to be spending big money on a Loosehead next year just yet, who knows.

If he goes he will be replaced simple as that.

On signings and low expectations I think it is more realistic.
19 players down as leaving
3 are injury signings out of cap
2 are recent academy promotions so be the cheapest of cheap.
1 is a development player.

So Tiger really have what 13 players leaving of some cap significance (McMillan and Mapapalangi will also be very cheap).

Looking at the names only
Fitzgerald, Kitchener, O'Connor and Toomua would be regulars in a fully fit 23 most likely.
The cap isn't their to spend on 10 new starters.

Yes teams like Irish have spent big but look at the squad on the whole.
Locks for example
Coleman, De Chaves, Van Der Merwe, Tuisue, Maddison
v
Lavanini, Spencer, Green, Wells, Lewis
Whilst Coleman is the best out of the lot it's a much bigger drop off after that.

What Tigers have done this season (Well hopefully) is improve the pack and increase the depth quality where needed like Centres and Lock.
Next season more starters are out of contract, and then will prob be the time to look at bigger names.
As Cohen said it's a 3 year project really. (Although he likes to skirt around the fact that he helped to cause it a 3 year problem).
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

TTRITH wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:56 am We are, in my humble opinion, much better equipped for the next season. A nasty, aggressive pack that will secure the ball and allow the backs to flow.
We will be no better equipped unless the BoD bring some clarity to the of the field machinery and we sort out the coaching structure, put the right people in place. Not being negative and saying that won't happen but I am not hearing the right noises to convince me it is.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

If Genge goes at the end of next season, and it I shall still if, I can see his destination being Exeter.
He is good mates with Nowell and Slade, holidaying in Dubai with them, easy drive to Bristol, successful team, and playing wise he is a step up on Hepburn, and could share the workload with Moon
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Oh the old 3 year project excuse! Didnt hear Bristol say that upon promotion or Quins who are losing an incredible amount of players. Every GP club is in constant transition,some more than others granted,but it's the nature of the beast,I'm sick of excuses tbh!
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Scott1 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:21 pm Oh the old 3 year project excuse! Didnt hear Bristol say that upon promotion or Quins who are losing an incredible amount of players. Every GP club is in constant transition,some more than others granted,but it's the nature of the beast,I'm sick of excuses tbh!
Agreed it should be a continuous process, but in the current situation it probably will be 3 years before Tigers will be able to challenge the top teams again.

Whilst the idea of the academy producing a conveyor belt of talent is attractive, is there anything stopping the top academy talent moving to a currently more successful club? The problem of retaining young developing talent in a moribund club must be a challenge.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

If he went to Chiefs i would permanently erase him from my memory of ever being a Tiger,that would be unforgivable!!!