Thoughts & conclusions on the season.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Thoughts & conclusions on the season.

Post by DingDong »

thebearisstilldeano wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:12 pmthat utter abomination of a decision to have a reality TV wedding at half time.
When the vicar said: "If there be anyone present who may show just and lawful cause why this couple may not be legally wed, let him speak now or forever hold his peace." - we all should've shouted "i object", over to you vicar!! :smt005
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

The CEO runs the business side of the club.

The DOR or Head Coach, so in our case Murphy, runs the rugby side of the club.

Look at this this way, a retail business has a CEO, who runs the business. The retail stores have their own managers who run that store. That store manager chooses the staff and makes the decisions to make that store be as successful as it can be to help the business be successful.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

If Leicester were on top of the league I think the half time wedding might've gone down a bit more positively.
Commercial activities aren't the reason why the team isn't doing well.
The bottom line for me is that one wedding event could possibly pay to retain one or more potential young players and so in that regard surely it has to be a good thing worth stomaching.
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

BFG wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:29 am If Leicester were on top of the league I think the half time wedding might've gone down a bit more positively.
Commercial activities aren't the reason that the team isn't doing well.
The bottom line for me is that one wedding event could possibly pay to retain one or more potential young players and so in that regard surely it has to be a good thing worth stomaching.
Agree. Unfortunately some people still don’t understand that professional sport is a business. Without the club being run as a business, we will have no club to support. On the flip side, without the rugby, there’d be no business. Each one needs the other for it to work.

This is why the hotel is a great idea. This is why we see a lot more corporate things now too. We need them. Whether people like it or not.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

1989Tiger wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:20 am The CEO runs the business side of the club.
Our CEO used to have a lot to do with the playing side and is on record admitting he finds it difficult to divorce himself from it. He also sits on the "rugby committee" to provide a bridge between the commercial and playing side. He also acts as a spokesman for the club and is on record saying he disagreed with the appointment of MOC. All of which seems to me to contributing to the lack of clarity and accountability.
1989Tiger wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:20 amThe DOR or Head Coach, so in our case Murphy, runs the rugby side of the club.
Is this a new thing or not? That is to say as the coaching structure and recruitment always been under sole control of the DoR/HC. Why do we not have a DoR? Who decides that? Also, Murphy was a coach at the club before he become HC. And the performance of the team is showing no improvement. I agree that now we have gone down this path we need to have some faith and try to empower him but there are lots of questions/issues.
1989Tiger wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:20 amLook at this this way, a retail business has a CEO, who runs the business. The retail stores have their own managers who run that store. That store manager chooses the staff and makes the decisions to make that store be as successful as it can be to help the business be successful.
Bad analogy IMO. And very confusing. A professional sports club is not like most businesses. Everybody acknowledges that.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

BFG wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:29 am Commercial activities aren't the reason why the team isn't doing well.
It's a contributory factor. As Chutes said on the podcast it used to be that the people in the ticket office wanted to be the best rugby ticket office in the country. Also all the commercial revenue goes to the playing side. So if we have poor merchandise and :censored: bars/food outlets it will impact revenue that goes to the team. And the commercial director admitted the non-playing staff and supporters are de-motivated when there is poor performance on the field and that there has been an increasing disconnect between Oval Park (the players) and Welford Road (staff/supporters)
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I sort of agree with ourla. some years ago it was decided that our cheaply run but successful club shop would be ta,ken over by Kitbag up front a payment in excess of three years profit on the shop which went towards the building of the Caterpillar Stand, we also were guaranteed a minimum income from the shop each year. On the down side we lost control of merchandise and severe limitations on choice of playing kit and whilst the excellent Sarah Watson was retained as manager of the shop there became a disconnect between shop staff and the club as a whole. The same could be said the bar and food services although in that area I don't see how the club could keep it in house however the contracts written seemed to ensure we lost any power to improve factors we were not happy about. I believe these contracts were entered into before the current CEO took office.
I agree the wedding on the pitch was a bit of a disaster particularly as I was standing around in the middle of the pitch with a cheque for £4000.00 made out to Hambo and no one to present it to, first time I have been a spare part at a wedding, but sometimes things have to be tried to find out if they work and all potential revenue streams have to be explored. Getting the balance between what works and what is appropriate must be tricky.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

There is surely an issue if the playing staff and the administration have separate seasonal parties. There is even more of an issue when the “senior” players exclude other players from their area of the changing room.

How do you build an inclusive club with attitudes like that’s?

Please done say that it was like this when Tigers ruled. They don’t anymore, and times and expectations have changed.
Valhalla I am coming!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

ourla wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:06 am
BFG wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:29 am Commercial activities aren't the reason why the team isn't doing well.
It's a contributory factor. As Chutes said on the podcast it used to be that the people in the ticket office wanted to be the best rugby ticket office in the country. Also all the commercial revenue goes to the playing side. So if we have poor merchandise and :censored: bars/food outlets it will impact revenue that goes to the team. And the commercial director admitted the non-playing staff and supporters are de-motivated when there is poor performance on the field and that there has been an increasing disconnect between Oval Park (the players) and Welford Road (staff/supporters)
Chutes says a lot of things and it's always easier said than done.
The merchandise quality is a catch 22 situation, older supporters like the old cotton type jerseys but the youngsters dislike them.
Youngsters want tight fitting shirts to play in at training at their grassroots clubs and to look good in a summer type garment.
Us older fans want to hide our sagging parts and know that rugby is a winter sport and you wrap up to keep warm, we are sensible.
Sponsors also want a modern look.
I'm afraid times change and attracting new support is required.
Filling the stadium etc is a must to keep up with the sugar Daddies.
The disconnect when you are trying to please 20000+ is much more likely than trying to satisfy 10000, it also makes the ticket office and bars etc much more complicated places to run.
I believe Leicester have the hardest job in trying to retain this connection in some way in changing times as they are the most supported club.
Then there is the development of social media, I remember times of poor performance at Leicester in the past but dissatisfaction was much harder to spread because the world was a much bigger place.
If these things could be looked past then perhaps a less negative mindset overall could be adopted and then perhaps a more positive outlook could be placed on what is rather than being brought down by what was.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

1989Tiger wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:33 am
BFG wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:29 am If Leicester were on top of the league I think the half time wedding might've gone down a bit more positively.
Agree. Unfortunately some people still don’t understand that professional sport is a business. Without the club being run as a business, we will have no club to support. On the flip side, without the rugby, there’d be no business. Each one needs the other for it to work.

This is why the hotel is a great idea. This is why we see a lot more corporate things now too. We need them. Whether people like it or not.
I agree with what has been said about the symbiosis between the commercial side and the rugby side of the club. My issue with the wedding was the timing. The core business of the club is/ should be rugby, and from kick off to final whistle it should all be about the rugby; to have the wedding at half time detracted from the serious side of the rugby, not helped by our parlous position in the league, making it seem all the more bizarre. If there was to be a wedding I think it should have been before kick off or after the final whistle; there may have been fewer spectators, especially after the game, but those spectators go to watch rugby, not a wedding.
As Good As It Gets
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Business is different from rugby, but they must remember that both need to be run with an unified stance. It’s all well and saying we’re investing a lot of time in corporate to keep the club afloat, but rugby success on the pitch pays a fair Bob too!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

johnthegriff wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:34 am I agree the wedding on the pitch was a bit of a disaster particularly as I was standing around in the middle of the pitch with a cheque for £4000.00 made out to Hambo and no one to present it to
That's a massive donation, well done! The foundation's social media is always worth a look to break the doom and gloom, those young folks are a real inspiration and it's a nice reminder that the club is still doing a lot of good in the community despite the on-pitch downturn.
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

Scuttle wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:07 pm
1989Tiger wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:33 am

I agree with what has been said about the symbiosis between the commercial side and the rugby side of the club. My issue with the wedding was the timing. The core business of the club is/ should be rugby, and from kick off to final whistle it should all be about the rugby; to have the wedding at half time detracted from the serious side of the rugby, not helped by our parlous position in the league, making it seem all the more bizarre. If there was to be a wedding I think it should have been before kick off or after the final whistle; there may have been fewer spectators, especially after the game, but those spectators go to watch rugby, not a wedding.
The people who got married and/or the TV company, obviously wanted the wedding at half time.

It wasn’t done so us rugby spectators could watch. It was done as the people involved in the wedding wanted and paid for it to be at half time.

We got the money as we delivered what they wanted.

It didn’t affect how the team played on the pitch so for me, there’s no issue.

If it makes us money, then I’m for it!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

In an article on the website concerning Tom Youngs' desire to give Smithy a good send off our season was described as a rollercoaster ride. Funny? I thought rollercoasters sometimes went up?
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Scarlets at home was a good game, and Quins the first time. Tom's clearly never been to Alton Towers.