Thoughts & conclusions on the season.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Thoughts & conclusions on the season.

Post by Dangerous4 »

Next season we should/could make the top six, IF the coaching team are decent. Pretty big IF though.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

strawclearer wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 2:21 pm Simon Cohen's concern is that the role and scope of the rugby committee is no longer fit for purpose.

He's right.

Simon Cohen has great respect for the skills. competencies and awareness of the Board members and would like them to play a bigger role in producing success on the field as well as off it.

He's right there, too.
The first has been manifestly at the root of our troubles, the second would've helped about 4 years ago, for a start
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Anyone listen to the RL Tigers podcast with Chuter and others on last week. Also had an interview with Murphy.

Thoroughly depressing and I'm concerned that the problems with the rugby committee, coaching set up, strategy, etc.. are still not understood and still not being addressed. And Murphy for me was saying all the wrong things.

Would love to be wrong but I feel we are in for more of the same next season.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Don't do podcasts ourla,jist please?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Scott1 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 12:29 pm Don't do podcasts ourla,jist please?
We have Simon Cohen who says he is running the business side of the club not the playing side... but he is CEO, was previously heavily involved in the playing side and does also sit on the rugby committee but supposedly not in a decision making capacity but merely to make sure the commercial and rugby sides are in synch. Confused already... so then get this... when Mauger was let go there was a "major review" and two potential DoR's identified (Ackerman and another Saffer) but they weren't approached. Instead there was a decision to appoint MOC instead. Cohen disagreed with this decision, for good reason but seemingly went along with it. It's not clear who made this decision. Can you direct rugby operations by committee? Who/how have been recruiting players for the last three years? Is there a strategy? The players we have signed for next season, who identified and signed them?

And then to Murphy, who seemed to think with a bit of recruitment here and a few tweaks we can be competitive again. Coaching structure... yes we need to look at it... Other clubs, no we aren't going to copy other clubs... we'll do it our way. And so on.

As Chutes said: Murphy has been in charge most of the season. More coaches have been brought in. Have we improved? Who is ultimately responsible for on field performance?
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

ourla wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 1:00 pm
Scott1 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 12:29 pm Don't do podcasts ourla,jist please?
As Chutes said: Murphy has been in charge most of the season. More coaches have been brought in. Have we improved? Who is ultimately responsible for on field performance?
As we may have concluded this season nobody is responsible. Here's a buck. Pass it on.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Thanks ourla,I'm one of those that sadly see more of the same next season but hope I'm wrong. I can't see guys like Hanro, Jordan and Thomas standing for mediocrity though on or off the pitch!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Scott1 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 1:39 pm Thanks ourla,I'm one of those that sadly see more of the same next season but hope I'm wrong. I can't see guys like Hanro, Jordan and Thomas standing for mediocrity though on or off the pitch!
I'm struggling to see where major improvement will come from without significant structural changes. Top down. Its been said before but didn't happen. I have doubts as the chairman didn't see any need for contingency planning re relegation. Yes it didn't happen but failing to be prepared for it given our position was madness.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

chewbacca wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 1:55 pm
Scott1 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 1:39 pm Thanks ourla,I'm one of those that sadly see more of the same next season but hope I'm wrong. I can't see guys like Hanro, Jordan and Thomas standing for mediocrity though on or off the pitch!
I'm struggling to see where major improvement will come from without significant structural changes. Top down. Its been said before but didn't happen. I have doubts as the chairman didn't see any need for contingency planning re relegation. Yes it didn't happen but failing to be prepared for it given our position was madness.
I'm just hoping he was being purposely, positively ignorant otherwise we are all in trouble!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I am never happy with selection by a committee, a group discussion I understand but the final say on selection has to come from one man, and he takes responsibility for that decision. When Deano was Director of Rugby he selected the team and tactics although it was others out with the lads on the training ground. Recruitment should be the same, budgets are set by the C.E.O the Head Coach or Director of Rugby says what type of players he needs and is given the information of who is available at the wage we can afford to pay then we try to sign the best we can. The jobs need doing the title of the ones fulfilling each role is irrelevant a small group to bounce ideas off each other is fine but responsibility for each phase of recruitment and subsequent selection should rest with one person so there is no confusion over who is due the praise or blame.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Squad selection can only be down to one person, and that is the person who is coaching and developing their squad to the style and effect they want to develop, the less the Tigers rugby committee interfere the better.

Although Murphy inherited a squad not necessarily to his liking, it is a starting squad rammed full of internationals with a development squad full of age grade internationals which tells me they are a talented and savvy squad.

After virtually an entire season in charge you'd expect any coach to knit a squad of this calibre together enough to finish mid table or at best competing for a chance in europe, and not to finish by escaping relegation by the skin of their teeth.

It worries me that Murphy has only a handful of new recruits to announce, therefore the majority of the starting squad will be the same, the same squad that Murphy himself can't get united and playing to an acceptable level of rugby after nearly an entire season in charge. A new head coach is the only answer IMO, otherwise it's going to be too many years of Tigers being the whipping boys of the Premiership before anything progresses.
TigerS2
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerS2 »

DingDong wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 4:39 pm Squad selection can only be down to one person, and that is the person who is coaching and developing their squad to the style and effect they want to develop, the less the Tigers rugby committee interfere the better.

Although Murphy inherited a squad not necessarily to his liking, it is a starting squad rammed full of internationals with a development squad full of age grade internationals which tells me they are a talented and savvy squad.

After virtually an entire season in charge you'd expect any coach to knit a squad of this calibre together enough to finish mid table or at best competing for a chance in europe, and not to finish by escaping relegation by the skin of their teeth.

It worries me that Murphy has only a handful of new recruits to announce, therefore the majority of the starting squad will be the same, the same squad that Murphy himself can't get united and playing to an acceptable level of rugby after nearly an entire season in charge. A new head coach is the only answer IMO, otherwise it's going to be too many years of Tigers being the whipping boys of the Premiership before anything progresses.
Now the tigers are whipping boys, why can’t the price of a season ticket reflect that?
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

There is a new podcast from Greg Bateman with the Commercial Director Andrea Pinchen which gives a few interesting snippets such as the players and staff have a separate Christmas do's and that Andrea's view is that the swing towards looking after sponsors and corporates has gone too far. Also that the players don't understand how their poor performance affects the staff.

These are small things but you start to build a picture of how things are so deeply poor in the club and that the marketing of "Tigers Family" is a little/lot divorced from reality.
thebearisstilldeano
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by thebearisstilldeano »

Perhaps the worry about the commercial side and playing side seeming divorced led to that utter abomination of a decision to have a reality TV wedding at half time.

Symptomatic of the utter Wittery we've seen in much of the comms and marketing over recent years. At times it seems like they are setting out to mimic the performances on the pitch when it comes to getting things wrong.

(Oh BTW - I work in and teach PR at degree and postgrad level, so I think I can comment with some degree of professional perspective)
I used to sit near a stalker and we want him back "kick for the corner!!!!"
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

thebearisstilldeano wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:12 pm Perhaps the worry about the commercial side and playing side seeming divorced led to that utter abomination of a decision to have a reality TV wedding at half time.

Symptomatic of the utter Wittery we've seen in much of the comms and marketing over recent years. At times it seems like they are setting out to mimic the performances on the pitch when it comes to getting things wrong.

(Oh BTW - I work in and teach PR at degree and postgrad level, so I think I can comment with some degree of professional perspective)
Crass indeed. For that somebody should be reviewing their P45.