LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 7

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 7

Post by Dangerous4 »

The abuse and threats from social media were completely disgusting. What is wrong with some people?
WildGoose
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by WildGoose »

Perhaps on a more positive note, I was in Newcastle in the weekend (dressed as a safari hunter, best not to ask...) when I spoke to a couple of Leinster fans who said we were getting a real gem of a player in Noel Reid
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

WildGoose wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 3:54 pm Perhaps on a more positive note, I was in Newcastle in the weekend (dressed as a safari hunter, best not to ask...) when I spoke to a couple of Leinster fans who said we were getting a real gem of a player in Noel Reid
Good to hear! Wikipedia says he's got 120 caps for Leinster but I can't say I can ever remember seeing him play. Might just be selection bias because he's not one of their superstars.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Traveller wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 1:53 pm
WhitecapTiger wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 8:55 pm
Traveller wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 7:42 pm
I was slated on this forum at the start of this season for being highly critical of Toomua's. Revealed himself for what he is. But to be fair, he did that a while ago.
Having remembered something that may have had some bearing on Matt Toomua's quick exit, I feel it necessary to edit my loss of respect to a disappointed not to have the chance to say 'See ya'.

After all, I can say hand on heart I wasn't one of those so called supporters giving him grief on social media and wishing cancer/death on members of his family. Guess in hindsight I wouldn't wish to say farewell to fans in case they happened to be the ones fell into that category of scumbag that could only say that on social media.
Not quite sure how one makes the jump from being critical about a player - to lumping me in with the idiots who wish his family ill and talk about cancer etc. That's pretty low of you. There are idiots out there who do and say shameless stuff / say stuff like that. Repugnant people. I am not one of them.

I just don't think Mr Toomua ever really fought for the cause, and to say that "well the coaching wasn't good enough" or "the team situation wasn't what he thought it would be" or "the coaches changed" isn't good enough. He was a marquee player, on a marquee salary and he should have lead by example. He didn't. Matt Smith faced the same disappointments and would have been on a fraction of Toomua's salary, and would have been not he sideline partly because of Toomua, yet he always gave his all for a club that he loved.
Traveller, I see how my post could be read/interpreted. Certainly not my intention to 'lump you in' with those who have abused him and family on social media, or imply you did that - so please accept my apologies. Meant generically about those who made such threats/comments and actually meant to delete your comment under my original one. Sorry, poor editing. :smt009
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Ruck04

Post by Ruck04 »

Gareth Owen to join Newcastle Falcons in the summer on a two year deal
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Gareth Owen to Newcastle confirmed
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Would imagine that we will hear more outs this week and possibly some more confirmed ins as well
Hehehehehehehehe
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Will they wait till Bank Holiday Monday?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Good luck to Gareth Owen, a solid and canny player when fit.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Scott1 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:49 am Will they wait till Bank Holiday Monday?
Probably although I wouldn't rule out the possibility of announcements next Monday due to the season being over for us already
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Does anyone still think we need a number 8 or another openside so we can play Thompson there. I've watched these guys before they were linked with us and although they can play there Liebenberg and Taufua are not number 8s,it would be another Kalamafoni situation where we are playing a blindside there or at best a 6/8 hybrid. Of course all of this depends on Denton's fitness be side he is a proper number 8. Thoughts?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Scott1 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 11:16 am Does anyone still think we need a number 8 or another openside so we can play Thompson there. I've watched these guys before they were linked with us and although they can play there Liebenberg and Taufua are not number 8s,it would be another Kalamafoni situation where we are playing a blindside there or at best a 6/8 hybrid. Of course all of this depends on Denton's fitness be side he is a proper number 8. Thoughts?
Definitely need another backrower, probably an openside to fill the void of Evans and O’Connor leaving. Whether that turns out to be Wallace I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

Liebenberg played mainly 8 for Bulls, plus Denton and Kalamafoni so think we’re pretty well stocked at 8 to be honest.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Liebenberg plays at blindside now Vermuelen is there,he was just covering. This is my point,you've got two types of number 8s your monster ball carriers like Vermuelen and Billy V and then your ball playing 8s who play further out like Read which Thompson plays like. Liebenberg,Taufua and Kalamafoni fit into neither,they are bona fide blindsides all day long. There's been a problem with our back row for a long time which was only looking like it was fixed when Denton was playing. If Denton has to sadly retire we either buy another number 8 or another openside and play Thompson there or we will never fix this imbalance.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Scott1 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 11:29 am Liebenberg plays at blindside now Vermuelen is there,he was just covering. This is my point,you've got two types of number 8s your monster ball carriers like Vermuelen and Billy V and then your ball playing 8s who play further out like Read which Thompson plays like. Liebenberg,Taufua and Kalamafoni fit into neither,they are bona fide blindsides all day long. There's been a problem with our back row for a long time which was only looking like it was fixed when Denton was playing. If Denton has to sadly retire we either buy another number 8 or another openside and play Thompson there or we will never fix this imbalance.
To be fair having to play 6 because Duane Vermuelen is in your team can't be seen as too much of slight on Leibenbergs ability
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

Whilst our signings have been good so far I do get the feeling that we aren't keeping pace with some other clubs who are stretching with the new funding (Sale especially).

Lets hope they do get that list of leavers out before the Bath game (as previously communicated) so we can see what positions will actually need to be filled..