Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Toomua gone

Post by Traveller »

Mark62 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 5:55 pm
JP14 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 5:51 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 3:22 pm Melbourne Rebels lost Quade Cooper to concussion on Friday and were struggling for a replacement hence a request to Leicester for Matt to be released early. If Tigers were still scrapping to stay in the Premiership, I doubt that the club would have agreed it. Things have happened very quickly and over the weekend that there has probably been little opportunity to get comments and make the press release.
With some of the comments that have been put his way from some people, with regards to harm to family members etc, he is probably glad to be back in Australia.
He has had some good games in a Tigers shirt and he will be welcome back at Welford Road should he wish to pop back.
If only things had turned out as planned. Never was it known that Australia would come back to try and get Matt back to playing Internatonal rugby.
Wishing Matt all the best for the future.
Are you joking? Toomua is an international player who is arguably World Class at his best, and “Never was it known that Australia would come back...”! Pathetic, I stood by Toomua for his decision to return home (mainly for personal reasons) and he repays me by not mentally turning up then deciding to bog off early and avoid the crowd this Saturday, I certainly don’t want him back at Welford Road!
I’m sure avoiding the crowd on Saturday was really near the top of his priorities !!!!
I agree with you, but from the opposite end of the kaleidoscope. Avoiding the Tigers crowd was not the top of Matt Toomua's priorities. The crowd (or rather supporters) were not the top of Matt Toomua's priorities .Leicester Tigers as a team, was not the top of Matt Toomua's priorities. The traditions of the Tigers shirt (as he returns to the`Melbourne Rebels founded 2011) was not a priority. Matt Toomua was always the top of Matt Toomua's priority list.

Hardly a Kronfeld, Howard, Stransky or Mauger. For clarities sake, I wish him and his family good health, happiness and future success. This is just rugby. But I hope he doesn't have reason to return to Welford Road.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Lets put it this way..he certainly wasnt going to risk injury when he got recalled....
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

This place has been one cock-up (stronger words are available) after another since he arrived here. His injury didn't help but that was hardly his fault. Being away from his wife whilst he wasn't even playing must have been hard.

I'm not happy that we have lost such a (potentially) great player but i'm more pee'd off with the state of the club and this just emphasis's the problem we are having/had. And when Aus came calling again Tigers were not in a strong enough position to keep him here. I'm sure he came here with the best of intentions, but think of the choices he had:

Melbourne, playing super rugby and playing for your country in a world cup in Japan?
Leicester, playing in a relegation dog fight through a wet and cold winter when all your international team mates are playing for their countries at a world cup in Japan?
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Traveller wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 7:11 am Hardly a Kronfeld, Howard, Stransky or Mauger. For clarities sake, I wish him and his family good health, happiness and future success. This is just rugby. But I hope he doesn't have reason to return to Welford Road.
All those players came to Tigers towards the end of their careers. Pat Howard is exactly the same as Toomua, just 20 years ago - came for a few seasons and then went back to Aus to try and get in the WC squad. The only difference is that Howard was part of a very successful team and Toomua is part of the current shambles - the overwhelming majority of which has nothing to do with him. I bet if Howard had received the abuse that Toomua has then he wouldn't have felt the same way about the club and would not have returned.

It seems he has become the new Jordan Crane of the forum...
Brutus
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Brutus »

A lot of people taking this too personally. Of course Toomua was looking after his own interests, if he didn't, who would?!!
I think a player of his calibre leaving Australia whilst still in his 20's on the basis of his international opportunities being limited was by far the most naive of his decisions - anyone thinking that a player worthy of a marquee slot in a team like Leicester Football Club would NOT be good enough to play for their country needs to asses their logic! It also shows gross naivety on the part of the club as there was no way he was going to stay for the long term, which flies in the face of what the successful clubs Exeter and Saffas have achieved in creating long term stability.

Good luck to him, he came to a club that has been severely mismanaged and has consequently been on the decline for several years. Very little he could have done with the poor ball being generated by the pack and very little to play for - no wonder he went into injury avoidance mode towards the back end - the coaches should have spotted this and kept him out, then instructed Hardwick to go in and show he has what it takes to develop at this level.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Fantastic point about Hardwick Brutus! I will stretch that to others that could've covered Kitchener and Williams as well as other players that are leaving. Were they the difference we stayed up? Absolutely not so what kind of message does it send out?!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Brutus wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 9:32 am A lot of people taking this too personally. Of course Toomua was looking after his own interests, if he didn't, who would?!!
I think a player of his calibre leaving Australia whilst still in his 20's on the basis of his international opportunities being limited was by far the most naive of his decisions - anyone thinking that a player worthy of a marquee slot in a team like Leicester Football Club would NOT be good enough to play for their country needs to asses their logic! It also shows gross naivety on the part of the club as there was no way he was going to stay for the long term, which flies in the face of what the successful clubs Exeter and Saffas have achieved in creating long term stability.

Good luck to him, he came to a club that has been severely mismanaged and has consequently been on the decline for several years. Very little he could have done with the poor ball being generated by the pack and very little to play for - no wonder he went into injury avoidance mode towards the back end - the coaches should have spotted this and kept him out, then instructed Hardwick to go in and show he has what it takes to develop at this level.
Absolutely. He came to join a club of legends and ended up in a fiasco. Is it any surprise he wanted out.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:15 am
Traveller wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 7:11 am Hardly a Kronfeld, Howard, Stransky or Mauger. For clarities sake, I wish him and his family good health, happiness and future success. This is just rugby. But I hope he doesn't have reason to return to Welford Road.
All those players came to Tigers towards the end of their careers. Pat Howard is exactly the same as Toomua, just 20 years ago - came for a few seasons and then went back to Aus to try and get in the WC squad. The only difference is that Howard was part of a very successful team and Toomua is part of the current shambles - the overwhelming majority of which has nothing to do with him. I bet if Howard had received the abuse that Toomua has then he wouldn't have felt the same way about the club and would not have returned.

Toomua signed a second contract. He new where Leicester was when he signed it. He tucked it in his back pocket and then played us. He was an actor in the shambles, not a passive observer.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:15 am

Toomua signed a second contract. He new where Leicester was when he signed it. He tucked it in his back pocket and then played us. He was an actor in the shambles, not a passive observer.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Fans should get a reality pill before being allowed to post on here. Professional sport is a business, if you're lucky to be a one club player then good luck to you, if you find yourself recruited elsewhere then that's the business reality as mortgages need paying and mouths need feeding. Toomua's late call-up was unexpected and good luck to him. Its sour grapes to point fingers and to be so disrespectful, the club is on it's knees re performance, and fans moaning about players wanting to move elsewhere ('home' in Toomuas case) just makes the club look even more inept.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Pat Howard did exactly what he said he would do and was a man of his word. Toomua signed saying he would not play for Australia again whilst Cheika was in charge, something changed, Tigers like any other club are powerless to stop a player tutning out for his country during official international periods. It is a shame that this excellent player in three seasons had only one good one. Having spoken to him I know that he is a really nice guy but like others he is now the past and we move on. I don't know if the moronic abusive posts on twitter that he and other players and officials at the club received played a part in his departure but it certainly was not helpful. The people doing that are not true supporters they are barely true members of the human race.
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

Toomua, who was he? I have forgotten him already, along with a few others that have been wasting the space inside Tigers shirts this season!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

BengalTiger wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 11:38 am Toomua, who was he? I have forgotten him already, along with a few others that have been wasting the space inside Tigers shirts this season!
You are directing your ire at the wrong people IMO.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 6:49 pm
Mark62 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 5:55 pm
JP14 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 5:51 pm Are you joking? Toomua is an international player who is arguably World Class at his best, and “Never was it known that Australia would come back...”! Pathetic, I stood by Toomua for his decision to return home (mainly for personal reasons) and he repays me by not mentally turning up then deciding to bog off early and avoid the crowd this Saturday, I certainly don’t want him back at Welford Road!
I’m sure avoiding the crowd on Saturday was really near the top of his priorities !!!!
It's very cowardly, sometimes you have to face the music, and I doubt very few of the abusers will be present on Saturday anyway as they should have been banned by Tigers and that's if they're fans in the 1st place!
Cowardly really, how about putting his career first, agreed this has been to the detriment of the Tigers, but let’s get rid of this idea of being a coward, doubt any of those play top class rugby
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

It's not great but it's hardly the crime of the century. I'm sure he wishes he was leaving here a legend but alas, he isn't. Best wishes to him for the future.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play