Toomua gone

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigerbeat

Re: Toomua gone

Post by Tigerbeat »

Melbourne Rebels lost Quade Cooper to concussion on Friday and were struggling for a replacement hence a request to Leicester for Matt to be released early. If Tigers were still scrapping to stay in the Premiership, I doubt that the club would have agreed it. Things have happened very quickly and over the weekend that there has probably been little opportunity to get comments and make the press release.
With some of the comments that have been put his way from some people, with regards to harm to family members etc, he is probably glad to be back in Australia.
He has had some good games in a Tigers shirt and he will be welcome back at Welford Road should he wish to pop back.
If only things had turned out as planned. Never was it known that Australia would come back to try and get Matt back to playing Internatonal rugby.
Wishing Matt all the best for the future.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Matt Toomua was definitely not part of the problem.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

I shouldn't think Sale are too pleased - given that they're chasing Bath for 6th.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

mol2 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 2:08 pm To be honest it seemed like his head was back in Australia or much of the season.

Shame we didn't get the player we hoped he would be.
Mol, I'm with you here. There's the old fashioned bloke in me who says "You signed for a season, you play for a season."

It just didn't work out!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

strawclearer wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 3:44 pm I shouldn't think Sale are too pleased - given that they're chasing Bath for 6th.
Doesn't 7th place qualify now Sarries have won the RCC?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

In accordance with a decision of the EPCR Board comprising the nine unions, federations and league bodies, the 20th place in the Heineken Champions Cup will be determined as follows:

i) Heineken Champions Cup winner, if not already qualified
ii) Challenge Cup winner, if not already qualified
iii) Challenge Cup losing finalist, if not already qualified
iv) Play-off match between the losing Challenge Cup semi-finalists, if not already qualified
v) Highest ranked non-qualified club by virtue of league position from the same league as the Heineken Champions Cup winner
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Anyone wanna have a go?! :smt005
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Scott1 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 5:24 pm In accordance with a decision of the EPCR Board comprising the nine unions, federations and league bodies, the 20th place in the Heineken Champions Cup will be determined as follows:

i) Heineken Champions Cup winner, if not already qualified
ii) Challenge Cup winner, if not already qualified
iii) Challenge Cup losing finalist, if not already qualified
iv) Play-off match between the losing Challenge Cup semi-finalists, if not already qualified
v) Highest ranked non-qualified club by virtue of league position from the same league as the Heineken Champions Cup winner
Saracens already qualified
Clerment already qualified
La Rochelle will qualify in French top 6
Quins currently 4th so likely to qualify , Sale in 7th so in theory have 2 avenues open to them
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 3:22 pm Melbourne Rebels lost Quade Cooper to concussion on Friday and were struggling for a replacement hence a request to Leicester for Matt to be released early. If Tigers were still scrapping to stay in the Premiership, I doubt that the club would have agreed it. Things have happened very quickly and over the weekend that there has probably been little opportunity to get comments and make the press release.
With some of the comments that have been put his way from some people, with regards to harm to family members etc, he is probably glad to be back in Australia.
He has had some good games in a Tigers shirt and he will be welcome back at Welford Road should he wish to pop back.
If only things had turned out as planned. Never was it known that Australia would come back to try and get Matt back to playing Internatonal rugby.
Are you joking? Toomua is an international player who is arguably World Class at his best, and “Never was it known that Australia would come back...”! Pathetic, I stood by Toomua for his decision to return home (which were for personal reasons) and he repays me by not mentally turning up then deciding to bog off early and avoid the crowd this Saturday, I certainly don’t want him back at Welford Road!
Last edited by JP14 on Mon May 13, 2019 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

It would be Sale currently I think due to point iii

It will either be Sale or if they finish in the top 6, then whoever finishes 7th.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 5:51 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 3:22 pm Melbourne Rebels lost Quade Cooper to concussion on Friday and were struggling for a replacement hence a request to Leicester for Matt to be released early. If Tigers were still scrapping to stay in the Premiership, I doubt that the club would have agreed it. Things have happened very quickly and over the weekend that there has probably been little opportunity to get comments and make the press release.
Are you joking? Toomua is an international player who is arguably World Class at his best, and “Never was it known that Australia would come back...”! Pathetic, I stood by Toomua for his decision to return home (mainly for personal reasons) and he repays me by not mentally turning up then deciding to bog off early and avoid the crowd this Saturday, I certainly don’t want him back at Welford Road!
I’m sure avoiding the crowd on Saturday was really near the top of his priorities !!!!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mark62 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 5:55 pm
JP14 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 5:51 pm Are you joking? Toomua is an international player who is arguably World Class at his best, and “Never was it known that Australia would come back...”! Pathetic, I stood by Toomua for his decision to return home (mainly for personal reasons) and he repays me by not mentally turning up then deciding to bog off early and avoid the crowd this Saturday, I certainly don’t want him back at Welford Road!
I’m sure avoiding the crowd on Saturday was really near the top of his priorities !!!!
It's very cowardly, sometimes you have to face the music, and I doubt very few of the abusers will be present on Saturday anyway as they should have been banned by Tigers and that's if they're fans in the 1st place!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

This does not cut it for me. Toomua is no modern day saint. In his 2 seasons at Tigers he barely played in season 1 due to injury and then decides to end his contract 1 yr early at the beginning of season 2 after missing a massive chunk of it playing in the championship.
Tigers have been played like a stradivarius
And he is laughing all the way back early to his home bank!
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Thanks Mark!
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Personally I think he was/is just too good for our presently shambolic outfit.
Don't forget the coaches you persuaded him to sign for us are long gone, I think there is a lot about the past couple seasons to come out.
To win is not as important as playing with style!