LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 7

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 7

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

RagingBull wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 6:02 pm Charlie Walker has signed for Zebre.

1 quin rugby finally put down.
Odd move for him and disappointing we never went for him. Always thought he was a class player and sad to see him leave the premiership.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 5:58 pm
CitizenSmiff wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 3:17 pm
strawclearer wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 3:08 pm 'The Australian' reports Matt Toomua is training with the Rebels and is in the mix to play against the Bulls on Friday night.

He's gone.
Didn't even want to stick around to say goodbye at Welford Road, good riddance then. It's disappointing to find out he holds us in such low regard.
Absolutely agree, must have been some really bad blood flying around for the sharp exit - extremely disrespectful to supporters who have (mainly) supported him through the thick and thin of his time here. Lost a lot of respect for him even though the club must clearly have given their assent.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/ ... 81d94f1d0b
I was slated on this forum at the start of this season for being highly critical of Toomua's. Revealed himself for what he is. But to be fair, he did that a while ago.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

He had zero pace. Good brain but not in the same league as Devoto. Think he realised he wasnt cut out for the hardness of the Premiership and picked his moments.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

fortysix wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 7:42 pm He had zero pace. Good brain but not in the same league as Devoto. Think he realised he wasnt cut out for the hardness of the Premiership and picked his moments.
OK......
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Dangerous4 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 7:19 pm I was delighted when I heard M.T. was coming here. What a total disaster he turned out to be. I don't think the coaching did him any favours. Even M.T. has fallen short of expectations this season.
Neither did wrecking his knee 20 minutes into his home debut.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

strawclearer wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 3:08 pm 'The Australian' reports Matt Toomua is training with the Rebels and is in the mix to play against the Bulls on Friday night.

He's gone.
Didn't even want to stick around to say goodbye at Welford Road, good riddance then. It's disappointing to find out he holds us in such low regard.
Reports, but has anyone actually seen a photo of him in Australia this week. I'm sure he was pictured attending an event with Bateman and O'Connor only a couple of days ago?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Devoto better than Toomua? Hahahaha!!!! Stay off those drugs lol
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Given that he played a major role in 2017/18 when he was named Supporters’ Player of the Year and included in the Premiership Team of the Season, simply 'disappearing' would be a poor way to leave Welford Road.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Traveller wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 7:42 pm

Absolutely agree, must have been some really bad blood flying around for the sharp exit - extremely disrespectful to supporters who have (mainly) supported him through the thick and thin of his time here. Lost a lot of respect for him even though the club must clearly have given their assent.

I was slated on this forum at the start of this season for being highly critical of Toomua's. Revealed himself for what he is. But to be fair, he did that a while ago.
Having remembered something that may have had some bearing on Matt Toomua's quick exit, I feel it necessary to edit my loss of respect to a disappointed not to have the chance to say 'See ya'.

After all, I can say hand on heart I wasn't one of those so called supporters giving him grief on social media and wishing cancer/death on members of his family. Guess in hindsight I wouldn't wish to say farewell to fans in case they happened to be the ones fell into that category of scumbag that could only say that on social media.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Would be good to know who else is going prior to the Bath game.
A chance to say 'see ya'.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 7:52 pm

He's gone.
Reports, but has anyone actually seen a photo of him in Australia this week. I'm sure he was pictured attending an event with Bateman and O'Connor only a couple of days ago?
No photo but it does seem like more than a rumour. https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-unio ... 51mkw.html
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

I suppose it may help his chance of World Cup selection to be seen playing on home soil. Some form of media statement thanking club and fans would have been nice. Not the best result from what I am sure he hoped would be a much better period here.
Loob19

Post by Loob19 »

Wasn’t MT practicing playing at full back - thought Australia were desperately seeking somebody to plug that position :smt001
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

To be fair to MT, Rebels are in the middle of their season and asked for an early release. Tigers have nothing to gain by not releasing him, except spite. There is literally nothing to play for now. This situation hardly ever happens because normally the player is going to another northern hemisphere team.

Also, would you want to stay around after the abuse MT got? And his family. The 'fans' made it abundantly clear how they felt, would you want to say goodbye to them?

MT had a very good second season, not quite the heights I expected but still very good nonetheless. This season has been poor for the whole squad, barring GF, but on every other thread the coaches are being (rightly) blamed, but funnily enough when it comes to MT it's mostly his fault...
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 8:55 pm
Traveller wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 7:42 pm

Having remembered something that may have had some bearing on Matt Toomua's quick exit, I feel it necessary to edit my loss of respect to a disappointed not to have the chance to say 'See ya'.

After all, I can say hand on heart I wasn't one of those so called supporters giving him grief on social media and wishing cancer/death on members of his family. Guess in hindsight I wouldn't wish to say farewell to fans in case they happened to be the ones fell into that category of scumbag that could only say that on social media.
Not quite sure how one makes the jump from being critical about a player - to lumping me in with the idiots who wish his family ill and talk about cancer etc. That's pretty low of you. There are idiots out there who do and say shameless stuff / say stuff like that. Repugnant people. I am not one of them.

I just don't think Mr Toomua ever really fought for the cause, and to say that "well the coaching wasn't good enough" or "the team situation wasn't what he thought it would be" or "the coaches changed" isn't good enough. He was a marquee player, on a marquee salary and he should have lead by example. He didn't. Matt Smith faced the same disappointments and would have been on a fraction of Toomua's salary, and would have been not he sideline partly because of Toomua, yet he always gave his all for a club that he loved.