Weekend match thread

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Weekend match thread

Post by markharbtiger »

Scott1 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 7:21 pm There's no reason with the right coaching why we can't be like that...
We can only hope. It pains me to admit who we should emulate. Enough of hiring ex-Tigers, let’s have some ex-Sarries...
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Sarries have an impressive squad but I thought that Barrington really stepped up for them today in the circumstances, good player.
The workrate all round and desire to win the contact is phenomenal.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

markharbtiger wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 7:27 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 7:21 pm There's no reason with the right coaching why we can't be like that...
We can only hope. It pains me to admit who we should emulate. Enough of hiring ex-Tigers, let’s have some ex-Sarries...
Once upon a time we had a good team and a good coaching squad and matched Sarries. They went onwards and upwards, we sacked, sacked and sacked again etc.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Gussie!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

How good was their scrum after the replacements came on?!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

Scott1 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 7:58 pm How good was their scrum after the replacements came on?!
I thought their scrum did a number on Leinster. We would have been proud of that.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Saracens were completely unrelenting their fitness levels are really impressive, and they constantly urge each other on. You could hear them shouting "get up" to tacklers to get back in the defensive line. Their line speed did not flag and their defensive organisation was unbroken even when forced to bring on players early.

The other day some people were putting Skelton down, well today he made 17 tackles and missed 1, made 11 carries for 21 metres and was part of Saracens pack that made light of losing their first choice props early.

Whilst they are losing a couple of players at the end of the season my impression is there is a real hunger within the squad to succeed, as one of their team said being average is not good enough. I don't see their performance levels dropping so if Tigers want to compete they will need to make a herculean effort to improve.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I was one of the Skelton doubters,I take it back Sarries have done a fantastic job with him!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

:smt003
chewbacca wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 6:00 pm The intensity this game is being played at unfortunately makes watching Tigers the last year look like a fishing competition
Agreed - all four teams in the finals this weekend would have done that though. The intensity and speed of thought and action of the top clubs is way above anything we’ve seen at WR this last season or two.

Newcastle though has been a top place to visit this weekend, almost matching Bilbao last year.

BTW plenty of Sarries fans at the ground if not the numbers to match the Leinster boys in blue. For a club with a small fan base they brought a good number here.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Really enjoyed the final and as always admired Sarries’ fitness levels and skills. 12 of the squad came through their academy.
Congratulations to the whole club.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

:smt053
jgriffin wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 7:48 pm
Once upon a time we had a good team and a good coaching squad and matched Sarries. They went onwards and upwards, we sacked, sacked and sacked again etc.
One of the reasons given by Mark McCall for their success is that the group have been together for 6 or 7 years. Hopefully we can build some stability into our squad going forward.
As Good As It Gets
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Congratulations to Sarries, not the most likeable bunch with all the dodgy financial stuff but you can't argue with results and the players on the pitch all seem to really want every win, hard not to be envious of that. Let's try and poach a few of their accountants and strength and conditioning coaches!
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Ian Cant wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 9:32 pm Really enjoyed the final and as always admired Sarries’ fitness levels and skills. 12 of the squad came through their academy.
Watched some of them come through at Bedford both Goode and Spencer were at Cambridge - too good for the level. How many players have the Tigers cast aside as being not good enough or too small that have now gone on to be really good 'club' players whereas the Tigers buy in names that either do not perform, or have contracts where they can come and go during a season. Sarries have the right mentality so the physical side of the game comes naturally - no brainer really!!
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
newport tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by newport tiger »

In amongst all those internationals you have the unsung hero Jackson Wray, every time i see him he is outstanding yet he never seems to get linked with England despite playing in the position where we have struggled for so long. I admit we have finally found two good opensides in Curry and Underhill but this guy has been around for a long time now.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

TigerCam wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 9:26 am
Ian Cant wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 9:32 pm Really enjoyed the final and as always admired Sarries’ fitness levels and skills. 12 of the squad came through their academy.
Watched some of them come through at Bedford both Goode and Spencer were at Cambridge - too good for the level. How many players have the Tigers cast aside as being not good enough or too small that have now gone on to be really good 'club' players whereas the Tigers buy in names that either do not perform, or have contracts where they can come and go during a season. Sarries have the right mentality so the physical side of the game comes naturally - no brainer really!!
In the past the connections whereby development players arrive at Tiger's have been questioned. Very promising players not at an independent school have been mentioned by various contributors over the years, yet passed over for the 'connected'. By the time Mallinder selects the U20s half or more are from independents or have a 'rugby name'. Also younger players have far too much gym and not enough skill or playing brain......though this is a reflection of the modern game. No 14 year old should be doing unsupervised or heavy weight training.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.