Ealing beat London Irish to win cup

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

1989Tiger

Ealing beat London Irish to win cup

Post by 1989Tiger »

Ealing have beaten Irish to win the Championship Cup....

...... and people say we should ring fence as only one team is good enough to come up.

Well done Ealing.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Ealing beat London Irish to win cup

Post by Dangerous4 »

I fancied ET to win, and yes, I hope ring fencing never happens.

I don't believe Newcastle will have it all their own way next season, with the above getting better and better.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

1989Tiger wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 6:28 pm Ealing have beaten Irish to win the Championship Cup....

...... and people say we should ring fence as only one team is good enough to come up.

Well done Ealing.
Yep. Ealing may have beaten the champions, but the sad reality is they’d probably not survive the Premiership.

By survive I mean “not be bust” within 5 years. Their average home gate is about 600; how do you run a business with that few people paying to watch your “product” (Unless they pay several hundred Quins each to get in)?

They (their elderly owner) have paid to build a squad to challenge for promotion. They appear to have forgotten to invest in the rest of what is needed.

The awkward reality is that the Championship is not a fit for purpose second tier league. One team, Hartpury, has skewed the league and avoided relegation by effectively playing Gloucester’s reserves in the last few weeks. It needs sorting out.
maire88
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by maire88 »

Hartpury have also been playing Bristol’s reserves as well as Gloucester’s- there’s been matches where they’ve played a stupid amount of players who weren’t theirs. Absolute joke. The limit for loan players in a match day team in the Championship is something ridiculous like 13 and Hartpury have taken full advantage of this! However despite playing a team of ringers, they still didn’t manage to do all that great and finished 2nd bottom, only 3 points clear of the relegated team!

I’ve heard there’s stuff going on behind the scenes with Ealing- ground development and promotion of the games and other things. They’ve made some extremely good signings and I think they’re going to give the Falcons a torrid time next season just as they gave Irish a bit of a run for their money this season. As a fan of a Championship team, I’m always interested to see how the league pans out. I don’t think my team (Nottingham) are ever going to massively set the Championship on fire but it’s always interesting to watch and see what surprises unfold.
Formerly hww27
Proud to have been the Tom Youngs Fan Club since 2010
Rhinos rule :smt002 :smt050
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

maire88 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 11:37 pm I’ve heard there’s stuff going on behind the scenes with Ealing- ground development and promotion of the games and other things. They’ve made some extremely good signings and I think they’re going to give the Falcons a torrid time next season just as they gave Irish a bit of a run for their money this season. As a fan of a Championship team, I’m always interested to see how the league pans out. I don’t think my team (Nottingham) are ever going to massively set the Championship on fire but it’s always interesting to watch and see what surprises unfold.
I get that Ealing are trying to move up in the world, but I just struggle to see where their support base will come from. Rugby’s still struggling to attract fans “across the piece” and take Wasps, where tickets are still stupidly cheap to try and get people to the ground. I just can’t see it working, particularly in London which has already spat one team out (Wasps) and lost another two or three big teams since the game went pro.

I also don’t think Ealing’s model is one rugby as a whole needs to promote (in any sense) either. I applaud their success, but they bring little materially to the game. Essentially it is one man’s vanity project (which could be a moniker applies to another financially “interesting” club in Barnet - or the less successful one in Bath).

Meanwhile, the traditional clubs, without bankrolling owners (Nottinghams, Leeds, Rotherham, Bedford etc) are falling further behind.
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

I think Ealing rugby is a mutual society, so they don’t have an “owner” elderly or otherwise.
The boss of Trailfinders has invested but he has done so through sponsorship, rather than saddle them with loans, which I think is rather admirable. As far as I can see they own Trailfinders park.

They are growing their capacity to about 3k now, and host London Broncos as well weddings and other events, so have a pretty good income stream. They already have plans - no idea where - to relocate when they need a bigger capacity.

As for support base, they are in West London, home to a huge transient antipodean population.
A few astute signings post-world cup, combined with some good marketing I don’t think it’s at all unreasonable to assume they could get crowds bigger than Sale soon enough.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

teds wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 2:49 pm I think Ealing rugby is a mutual society, so they don’t have an “owner” elderly or otherwise.
The boss of Trailfinders has invested but he has done so through sponsorship, rather than saddle them with loans, which I think is rather admirable. As far as I can see they own Trailfinders park.

They are growing their capacity to about 3k now, and host London Broncos as well weddings and other events, so have a pretty good income stream. They already have plans - no idea where - to relocate when they need a bigger capacity.

As for support base, they are in West London, home to a huge transient antipodean population.
A few astute signings post-world cup, combined with some good marketing I don’t think it’s at all unreasonable to assume they could get crowds bigger than Sale soon enough.
Ok, but most of their funding has come direct from one very wealthy source, one whose company is even in the club’s name (a gimmick Premiership clubs ditched 15 years ago?).

I wish them good luck with the “magicking supporters out of thin air” act. I’m sure Quins’ marketeers would be licking their lips.

I just don’t get why people admire them. They haven’t grown their club, stadium and fan base, they’ve just paid their way to the brink of the Premiership. A disaster waiting to happen.
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 4:15 pm
teds wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 2:49 pm I think Ealing rugby is a mutual society, so they don’t have an “owner” elderly or otherwise.

Ok, but most of their funding has come direct from one very wealthy source, one whose company is even in the club’s name (a gimmick Premiership clubs ditched 15 years ago?).

I wish them good luck with the “magicking supporters out of thin air” act. I’m sure Quins’ marketeers would be licking their lips.

I just don’t get why people admire them. They haven’t grown their club, stadium and fan base, they’ve just paid their way to the brink of the Premiership. A disaster waiting to happen.
People admire Saracens for doing the same to get to the top of the Premiership.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

I don’t. I hope Sarries get what they deserve too if found guilty of cap based misdemeanours. They won’t of course, because any judgement and punishment would be taken to the courts by Mr Wray and PRL will back down.

The cap will then go and rugby as we know it could well be on the way to the ruin being suffered by several former Premier League football clubs.
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 5:46 pm I don’t. I hope Sarries get what they deserve too if found guilty of cap based misdemeanours. They won’t of course, because any judgement and punishment would be taken to the courts by Mr Wray and PRL will back down.

The cap will then go and rugby as we know it could well be on the way to the ruin being suffered by several former Premier League football clubs.
Neither do I but there are people that do.