LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 6

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 6

Post by kpj tiger »

I really don't see the point in bringing Charlie Walker back, we already have Veainu, May and Holmes as the 1st choice with Olowofela, SAR, Thompstone 2nd and then Browning, Gilliland and Steward as an Academy/Development back 3, And that's without Viljoen coming in and potentially Blommetjies and or Sarto being kept on
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Another cast off journeyman. If he was top drawer, Quims would keep him.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

I believe Wallace is a 7 too, just played as a 6 at Quins to accommodate Robshaw. Ironically I think Robshaw is more of a 6, but was pidgeonholed into the 7 shirt by England.
I actually rate Wallace.
6. Taufua, Denton, Coghlan
7. Thompson, Wallace, Reffell
8. Liebenberg, Kalamafoni, Tuilagi

As for Walker, I’d prefer a winger more in the Goneva/Tuilagi mould, pace and power combined, but looks like it’s going to be Walker, and can see he has pace and footwork. I’d be expecting one, or maybe two additions in the back three, depending on the future of Thompstone.
11. May, Walker/Sarto, Olowofela
14. Holmes, Aspland-Robinson
15. Blommetjies/Hammersley, Veianu, Worth
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

fortysix wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 11:17 am Another cast off journeyman. If he was top drawer, Quims would keep him.
So how does anyone sign top drawer players then as no one would release them based on your theory?
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 11:35 am 15. Blommetjies/Hammersley, Veianu, Worth
Whilst I'd love to see Hammersley in a Tigers shirt (much like Pennell a few seasons ago would have been nice), I read on a Falcons site that Hammersley is rumoured to be off to Sale - clearly not a guarantee, just a comment but food for thought.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 10:48 am
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 9:18 am If BOC joins Evans in leaving & we replace with Wallace that will be a serious downgrade, we will also have a first team squad with no out & out 7, this is slightly diluted if Taufua plays 6 or 8, but I just prefer us with a proper 7 on the field.
We'd still have Thompson and Reffell as openside options as well.

6. Taufua
7. Thompson
8. Liebenburg

That's a lot better than this season.
Neither Thompson or Reffell are out & out 7's Wallace is the same. Moody wasn't a 7 but often played with Croft who was a freak. If we have a 6 1/2 at 7 & Taufua at 6 or 8 & a grafter as the 3rd that might work, without a proper 7 you need another mobile backrower.
We are trying to get away from bit part 2nd row/blindsides, but going towards no opensides.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Really? I always remember Salvi besting Louw but always struggling with Wallace who is definitely an openside,he just plays at 6 because of Robshaw. I'd have no problems seeing him start in the 7 shirt at Tigers.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Thompson has 16 turnovers which puts him in the top 5 in the prem and all in only 15 games. (4 of those games he didn't play more than a half in).

Thompson has shown how mobile he is v Falcons when he got the ball in a bit of space.

I don't see Wallace coming to us currently anyway, Bristol is more likely.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

I’m still convinced Blommetjies coming in on loan was so we could take a look at him ahead of bringing him in permanently.
Hammersley was based in comments in the media.
In truth I think it’ll be May, Holmes, Walker, Aspland-Robinson & Olowofela as wing options, Blommetjies, Veianu and Worth as fullback options. Not sure on Thompstone’s future. Emphasis there is on pace out wide, with a better balance in the centres creating more space.

As for the 7 comments, I actually think Wallace is a genuine 7, likewise Thompson plays best as a 7. Looks like in adding Taufua and Coghlan at 6, both have real dynamism. Having big guys at 8 like Liebenberg and Kalamafoni who also have a huge workrate, our back row will be better set. Saying we’ll miss a genuine 7, in truth how often have we been able to use O’Connor and Evans this year?
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Remember we signed Salvi from Bath and he never really featured for them. He came to WR and turned out to be one of the best opensides in the league. Wallace has proven he can be a class player, no doubt he wouldn’t perform for us if in a Tigers shirt.

For me I feel like Olowofela and SAR could do with some more A league games. Given that May and Holmes will be away for the WC, signing Walker makes perfect sense too. The guy is a quality winger who knows how to score tries.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Didn't we sign salvi from the Brumbies?

Also could be wrong but didn't Salvi win a few of the bath player awards when he was with them?
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

RagingBull wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 12:17 pm Didn't we sign salvi from the Brumbies?

Also could be wrong but didn't Salvi win a few of the bath player awards when he was with them?
I think you're right but I also recall him being pigeon holed as a bit of a penalty magnet while with Bath.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

RagingBull wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 12:17 pm Didn't we sign salvi from the Brumbies?

Pretty sure he came to us from Down Under and not direct from Bath.

Vaguely recall him being named Supporters' Player of the Year at the very least in his short spell with Bath. 09/10?
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

If we can nick Hammersley and Wilson, I'd be delighted.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Darc Tiger wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 1:20 pm If we can nick Hammersley and Wilson, I'd be delighted.
Along with Hammersley to Sale rumour was Wilson to Sale on a years loan, probably preserving his England chances/status.

Guess time will tell if there's anything in those rumours.