Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Positivity needed

Post by Ian Cant »

Again I was at Quins last night not watching on TV so some thoughts:
The pitch was extremely wet last night so both teams did well to produce some decent rugby.
1) Quins had most of their squad fit whereas we haven’t been able to play the same combinations in the backs all season.
Ford has great feet, brilliant passing game and with a settled side will be even better than this season. His captaincy at the end was great to see and maybe he needs to be the captain when he returns from the World Cup.
2) Quins fans I spoke to couldn’t believe how many injuries Tigers have had in the backs: “ How can you do well with such ball carriers as Genge and Manu out for half your games?”
3) I was annoyed half way through the game at our lack of intensity at scrum half ( Harrison gave his all but there was some decent ball delivered last night but I think Sam has struggled with his fitness this season) BUT then saw the youngsters come on and deliver by being PATIENT at the end.
4) When we kept the ball in hand we look good so less kicking and we have to get Genge and Cole do some offloading rather than take the ball to ground:
BOTH can do this but understandably the fear of relegation has impacted upon their willingness to try.
5) TV, though only just back showed what we’ve missed as he outplayed Johnny May because of his total play. May will enjoy having him back as he won’t be our main threat in attack.
6) TPN’s throwing was much improved and he is fully committed.
7 ) There is a long build up to October 19/20: the Premiership so use The Premiership Cup to good effect.
Now The Board Of Directors know they have to sort the club out right from the shop to getting fans down to support.
8) There are some very good youngsters coming through and we cannot be that bad when there are so many players chosen for England, Scotland and Wales.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Positivity needed

Post by ABClub »

1. The academy is functioning very well and if players are brought through as development re-signings suggest they are then we can rebuild the foundation that has been lost.

2. Very talented group of development players re-signed. Heyes, Reffell, Simmons, White, Hardwick and Olowofela are all poised to play important squad roles next season. I can't wait to see Simmons and Olowofela in particular behind a stronger pack.

3. Improvement in lock and back row starting quality as well as depth. Taufua and Lavanini are big upgrades. Liebenberg a potential starter but also allows rotation with Kalamafoni.

4. Better distribution of salary cap throughout the back line with Reid, Taute and Viljeon adding depth and versatility. Blommetjies potential re-signing could allow Worth to spend time in midfield as well.

5. Our back signings seem to be moving towards a simple but effective formula of experienced midfield players (Tuilagi, Taute, Reid, Eastmond) and lightening outside backs (May, Veainu, Holmes, Olowofela + potentially Charlie Walker).
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Ian Cant wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 4:49 pm
8) There are some very good youngsters coming through and we cannot be that bad when there are so many players chosen for England, Scotland and Wales.
This last point is crucial from my perspective. We need a strong squad with depth. I don't feel you can assemble this off the shelf from piece parts. The system has to be built and where better to start than your own academy. This will take time so a degree of patience as well as positivity is required. It's about players who can hold their own whilst the internationals are on, put genuine pressure on selection and build a cohesive work ethic.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

We have failed to demonstrate a playing structure that allows individuals to be slotted in when the internationals are away or when they come back.

Interestingly we haven't lost any second row or back rows to internationals (- we signed Denton but he barely played prior to injury.) This is the area we were exposed time and time again all season.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Very good points from Ian above, but what annoyed many of us this season and particularly last night was the persistent box kicks from OUTSIDE the 22 which often went straight to Brown and we know his England records for catch & go and this occurred several times. Please ban box kicks outside the 22.
I too was most impressed with Quins castoff Sam Aspland-Robinson his chases at kick off and his defence cover will improve but a good sign for the future.
I hope that we can arrange to sign/retain Clayton ~"Bojangles!" and give him more game time particularly v Bath as it looks as though Olowofela will be out but I hope Williams & Guy Thompson will be fit for Bath.
Gigena held his own in the limited time he was on too. :smt023
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

ABClub wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 5:10 pm 1. The academy is functioning very well and if players are brought through as development re-signings suggest they are then we can rebuild the foundation that has been lost.

2. Very talented group of development players re-signed. Heyes, Reffell, Simmons, White, Hardwick and Olowofela are all poised to play important squad roles next season. I can't wait to see Simmons and Olowofela in particular behind a stronger pack.

3. Improvement in lock and back row starting quality as well as depth. Taufua and Lavanini are big upgrades. Liebenberg a potential starter but also allows rotation with Kalamafoni.

4. Better distribution of salary cap throughout the back line with Reid, Taute and Viljeon adding depth and versatility. Blommetjies potential re-signing could allow Worth to spend time in midfield as well.

5. Our back signings seem to be moving towards a simple but effective formula of experienced midfield players (Tuilagi, Taute, Reid, Eastmond) and lightening outside backs (May, Veainu, Holmes, Olowofela + potentially Charlie Walker).
Some really good points there, fully agree, especially points 4 & 5. Bringing in Taute at 12/13 gives us some real physicality in midfield all year round, given we’ll lose Tuilagi during international periods, plus this can allow us to manage Manu’s workload to get maximum output.
Equally, watching videos of Viljoen, he seems to have the right balance of physicality and gas at 13, plus great awareness of finding his support players.
I definitely like the look of Blommetjies, and hope we can secure him for next year, seems to great footwork and vision, like Alex Goode but with a bit more gas. I think having him, we could then also use Veianu out wide, and Worth as a distributing 12 if required, a Reid understudy.
With these additional attacking threats, that should indeed see more space for our wingers to capitalise on.
The forwards are getting equal reinvestment/rebalancing. Additional horsepower in the second row, should provide additional power to the scrum and lineout prowess.
Back row moving away from hybrid lock/back row at 6, getting genuine sixes with the physicality to compete but also mobility.
Bringing in Liebenberg at 8 allows Kalamafoni to also cover 6 if required, combined with the other 6’s and also the carriers in midfield, it will draw defenders away from this year’s overworked ball carriers.
Leatigaga, here’s hoping he’s our Tameifuna, a new Mulipola, big old unit who can be immovable in the scrum and put himself around in the loose. Having someone like him to replace Cole earlier than we do currently.

Talk on this forum is Murphy moving to DoR, which makes sense given the commentary given by our currently announced signings. Then adding in an experienced head coach. Hopefully one that adds some urgency to our attack. Refresh the forward coach and defence coach, put the bite back in Tigers pack, to match what Boris has done to the scrum.

Lot of hopeful ifs and buts there....