Great Quins’ fans and our away fans

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Great Quins’ fans and our away fans

Post by Ian Cant »

My wife and I were once again( been going down to the Stoop for over 40 years whenever Tigers play Quins) very impressed with the Quins’ fans. In the restaurant before the game their support, young families, middle aged and retired, were polite, welcoming and very knowledgeable. This conduct was reciprocated in the ground where every section of the Great cheered very loudly for Quins for the whole game. They were pleased we got a point but disappointed they didn’t get 4 tries. Once again, our away support was excellent despite Tigers once again being injury hit and lacking in attacking ideas until the youngsters came on to help Fitz grab that try.
norfolkexpat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Great Quins’ fans and our away fans

Post by norfolkexpat »

The Quins fans are far more middle class millennial types than the average club supporter
The food area variety was streets better and the Quins fans around us in BA section all sympathised with us when they realised that we were Tigers fans. All stated they were as bad with the Fat Controller aka Kingston.. Theme was, get rid of your coach and hire proven quality.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

norfolkexpat wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 7:16 am The Quins fans are far more middle class millennial types than the average club supporter
The food area variety was streets better and the Quins fans around us in BA section all sympathised with us when they realised that we were Tigers fans. All stated they were as bad with the Fat Controller aka Kingston.. Theme was, get rid of your coach and hire proven quality.
'Proof of the pudding etc' . Glaws, Saints other prime examples too. Surely the 'light has to come on' sometime at WR.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

norfolkexpat wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 7:16 am The Quins fans are far more middle class millennial types than the average club supporter
I'll break my self-imposed exile from this forum due to the dumb political points several long-standing members of this forum can't stop themselves from making.

Queens DID hire proven quality, but according to many here we can't do so because Queens' quality hire is an ex-Tiger.

As for Queens' fans being 'more middle class millennial types than the average club supporter', the gobby Quins supporter in front of me was rather gob-smacked when he said those around him could translate for me if my (non-existent) Leicester vocabulary/comprehension was insufficient when I told him I came from Epsom. At half-time I had a word with two Quins mates, one a director of a major City insurance broker and the other a former City trader who sits amongst the debenture holders at the Stoop.
Many Queens' fans always did think themselves superior...unjustifiably, but most are ok if a little patronising, especially in this annus horribilis (i think I've put sufficient 'n's' in the first word.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

i have been to Harlequins many times over the years, in the early days of professional rugby they were a bit snobby and it seemed as if they did not want us at their ground. However for many years now they have been welcoming and a pleasure to visit unfortunately all grounds have a few fans that let them down. On Friday myself and friends had the misfortune to sit behind two such morons. A seventy year old lady asking fans in front of her to remain seated received foulmouthed comment from a young guy, when a 77 year old gentleman tapped the offender on the shoulder tom attract his attention and tell him not to make personal comment we were treated to more F and C word comment. The young guy's over large friend made threatened dire consequence if the shoulder tap were repeated and at half time the first bloke on his way to the bar complained to a steward that he had been struck by a Leicester fan. Sensibly on listening to another witness the steward took no action. The mouthy pair returned to seats well after second half kick off and were still objectionable. When the 77 year old Tiger's fan and his friend left after the late Quins try we heard more bad language from the smaller of the two Quins fans and mocking comment. Fortunately such experience is rare at rugby and it is some years since I experienced anything like that anywhere and I have been to most if not of the British top level grounds and many European venues.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Never been to Quins so can’t comment, but the boo-ing of a clear cut yellow card tells a story.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I have been going to 'Quins v Tigers now for over forty years now, and have always found them stuffy, and reserved, but never rude.