Another Tigers player to be a Tigers coach?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

1989Tiger

Another Tigers player to be a Tigers coach?

Post by 1989Tiger »

This will ruffle a few feathers.

Is Matt Smith being prepared to become a future coach for us?

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/sm ... evens-side
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Another Tigers player to be a Tigers coach?

Post by sam16111986 »

He'll be coaching at a private school when he retires. I'd put money on it. A good man to be coaching the youngsters as he's Tigers to the core and his expectations will be the kind of commitment he's always shown in a Tigers shirt.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

The issue isn't having ex-Tigers coach, it's having under-qualified ex-Tigers parachuted in over better candidates. If Matt wants to coach that'd be fantastic, I'd wish him well on every step of his journey as I'm sure everybody here would, I just wouldn't want to see him take on a job he's not ready for.
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 11:51 am The issue isn't having ex-Tigers coach, it's having under-qualified ex-Tigers parachuted in over better candidates. If Matt wants to coach that'd be fantastic, I'd wish him well on every step of his journey as I'm sure everybody here would, I just wouldn't want to see him take on a job he's not ready for.
Not for some people. Some have said we need to stop appointing ex Tigers players. Quality hasn't been mentioned. If they have a playing past with Tigers, they should be ruled out completely by some.
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

I'm not sure I have a problem with retired Tigers players helping out with Coaching at a lower level , but I do have a problem with Senior Coaches having little or no experience of Coaching at Tigers or anywhere else . I think you need a strong outsider to be Head Coach -- who will bring both new ideas and a sense of direction to the Coaches below him . Sean Edwards ?
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

S.Edwards - Yes please.....Pretty please :smt007 :smt007
Post World cup u'll do........... :smt035
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

He's already been coaching the academy this season.

Why would it ruffle feathers?
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

wellstiger wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 1:03 pm S.Edwards - Yes please.....Pretty please :smt007 :smt007
Post World cup u'll do........... :smt035
Hasn’t Edwards signed a four year deal with France?
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I see no problem with Smith coaching just as long as he retains that hard edge that made him a good player.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

BFG wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 1:23 pm I see no problem with Smith coaching just as long as he retains that hard edge that made him a good player.
Watch the Academy documentary. First episode they put 50 points on Saints, but Smith is far from impressed with some of the basic skills and game management early in the game, and tells them very bluntly it’s not acceptable for anyone wearing a Tigers jersey.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Dossers lad is the exact type of person to be coaching in the Academy, he is a Tiger through & through, same as his Dad (first of many quality 7's, I have seen play for us), no doubt his lad will be the same.
If he can pass on the what it means to play for us onto to the young players that is an important part of being a coach at that level, personally I think its at that level you want ex players definitely involved as coaches, the Smiths, Deacons of this club are the type of people who help you win things.
At the first team level it should be coaches by ability.
It used to be our strength that our fringe players came into the side when required & did the job, that has been a big part of the decline recently, the improvement at Academy level hopefully will restore to the club.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
NONAME
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by NONAME »

I'm sure Matt will do a fine job but to lose Anthony Allen is a big mistake. I wish them both well.