Ben Kay BT Pundit and committee member

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Ben Kay BT Pundit and committee member

Post by Scuttle »

I thought there were a few moments of priceless body language between Kay and Healey on Rugby Tonight this week after the latter suggested there should be multiple Board and coach resignations at Tigers if we are to sort the problem.
As Good As It Gets
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

sapajo wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 8:20 am Kay is all mouth and no substance. He has the temerity to criticise Tigers match performances live on BT TV as if he has nothing to do with the bilge served up on the pitch. Whereas in fact the opposite is true when he is on the rugby committee with Underwood. He is part of the problem in my opinion.
He has the problem, but what was he supposed to do on Rugby Tonight? I was very surprised they let Healey on that night because he, quite rightly, laid into both Kay and Youngs. A lot of Tigers performances this season has been undone by individuals, who were brought in by this “Rugby committee”.

I sincerely suggest Tigers bring in a sports psychiatrist during preseason, should do a lot of good.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

From my view, as a pundit, Kay has a responsibility to criticise Tigers publicly whereas as a member of the board he has a responsibility to not criticise Tigers publicly. Two different interests which appear to be directly in conflict.

Maybe Pat Howard will recommend that we appoint Healy as backs coach and leave Kay to focus on his broadcasting casting career. :smt018
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

teds wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 9:41 am From my view, as a pundit, Kay has a responsibility to criticise Tigers publicly whereas as a member of the board he has a responsibility to not criticise Tigers publicly. Two different interests which appear to be directly in conflict.

Maybe Pat Howard will recommend that we appoint Healy as backs coach and leave Kay to focus on his broadcasting casting career. :smt018
Excellent points !
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Kay openly stated that Pat had meetings with every on from CEO downwards and that every comment was open and not behind closed doors. That Pat was writing a report on club structure which was not fit for purpose and possibly led to the downturn in performance. The club is keen to take on board any suggestions he makes.(Paraphrasing)

RESTRUCTURING... lets see.....

Does that mean Kay/ Underwood is no longer required..... Lets see.
Having offered this info in his BT broadcast does Kay need congratulating for being open or shot down for divulging.? :smt023 :smt023
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Pat Howard was very open about it last week when he was out and about on the terraces, saying what he had done whilst back in Leicester.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Scuttle wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 8:35 am I thought there were a few moments of priceless body language between Kay and Healey on Rugby Tonight this week after the latter suggested there should be multiple Board and coach resignations at Tigers if we are to sort the problem.
IMO Austin's comments 'hit the nail on the head'. He may be gobby (in a likeable way) but IMO he always fronted up like the rest of the Tigers sides he played in.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
RothleyTiger56

Post by RothleyTiger56 »

Ben also writes a column for The Times newspaper. It was there he stated Owen Williams salary was 400K to move from Tigers at the end of last season. I hadn’t heard that anywhere before. He needs to be very careful. I’m okay with him being a BT pundit but not for Tigers matches. As a “professional “ person myself I think there is a clear conflict of interest when he is employed in such circumstances. It is the equivalent of the MD of a company giving a running public commentary on the performance of his staff. I don’t say much on here but feel strongly on this matter and have made the point before. Time for Ben to choose one or the other, or change his BT contract to opt out of Tigers matches me thinks.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Both are part time roles.

So long as he maintains confidentiality and appropriate separation between his role at Tigers and being a pundit there is no issue.

He should not discuss on TV the things that he knows from being a board member such as players salaries.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

The information that Owen Williams virtually doubled his salary by moving to Gloucester was widely reported and mentioned in many posts on this message board.