Quins vs Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Post Reply
Traveller
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 179
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:46 pm

Re: Quins vs Tigers

Post by Traveller » Fri May 03, 2019 10:23 pm

Strange, for all my criticism of the BOD, Cohen, Glynn, the quality of coaching, and the attitude of a handful or more of the players, I'm quite optimistic (if we can avoid the drop) about next year. The solutions to the problems on the pitch are straightforward enough. They need a competent coaching team (that can be sorted out), the back five is the weakest in the premiership (there or there about) so that is down to recruitment.

However IF we can get some decent coaches in, and the recruitment for next year, shapes up to be along the lines of what is being reported in the press, we will be significantly better. We won't challenge for the title, but 4-6 will not be beyond us. It's only two years ago that Gloucester finished on 9th on 46 points. Last year Newcastle finished on 63. On the field from 3-8/9 things can turn around pretty quickly. We just can't be worse. The fact that it is a World Cup year will be disruptive for everyone.

The only problem is that it will let the BOD off the hook.

aslongaswebeatsaints
Tiger Cub
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:38 pm

Re: Quins vs Tigers

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints » Fri May 03, 2019 10:27 pm

A good effort at the end to be fair.

The Quins game has convinced me:-

1. From day one of this season the others teams seem to have simply been better conditioned. Once again a good start tonight then gradually fading away with inevitable mistakes. I don’t think it’s lack of heart as defence has certainly improved - in my opinion it’s simply lack of fitness when compared to other teams. And I put that problem firmly at MOC and the preseason.

2. Our pack simply doesn’t have enough grunt and depth outside the front row. We desperately need a couple of enforcers. Though to be fair Thompson, Spencer have proven good signings and its a real shame about Denton, who was shaping up really well. Sort this out and we already have the backs either here or coming to embarrass teams.

3. We really have missed Vieanu. Even though he’s still not fully back to match fitness he still looked dangerous.

4. If George Ford hadn’t been outstanding this season we’d most certainly already be in the Championship.

5. The game time our youngsters have picked up this season bodes well for the future. For example, I was really impressed by Aspland-Robinson tonight.

sapajo
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4183
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:48 pm

Re: Quins vs Tigers

Post by sapajo » Fri May 03, 2019 10:29 pm

Traveller wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:23 pm
Strange, for all my criticism of the BOD, Cohen, Glynn, the quality of coaching, and the attitude of a handful or more of the players, I'm quite optimistic (if we can avoid the drop) about next year. The solutions to the problems on the pitch are straightforward enough. They need a competent coaching team (that can be sorted out), the back five is the weakest in the premiership (there or there about) so that is down to recruitment.

However IF we can get some decent coaches in, and the recruitment for next year, shapes up to be along the lines of what is being reported in the press, we will be significantly better. We won't challenge for the title, but 4-6 will not be beyond us. It's only two years ago that Gloucester finished on 9th on 46 points. Last year Newcastle finished on 63. On the field from 3-8/9 things can turn around pretty quickly. We just can't be worse. The fact that it is a World Cup year will be disruptive for everyone.

The only problem is that it will let the BOD off the hook.

Yep but it's hard not to be optimistic on improving upon either relegation or finishing second to bottom in the premiership!!! The truth is if we survive it means the failed BOD and Coaches survive to coach the same old :censored: rugby but with different players serving it up next year!
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity

Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User
Posts: 5849
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:53 pm

Re: Quins vs Tigers

Post by Darc Tiger » Fri May 03, 2019 10:29 pm

sapajo wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:13 pm
RagingBull wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:09 pm
Darc Tiger wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:02 pm


I'm getting fed up of this excuse. We've played for better with similar packs. This lot are so low on confidence and poorly coached, its unbelievable for a club of our resources.
One off games v constantly over a season is the difference.
We have played some great rugby this year also.
Played a lot of rugby and none of it came close to being a sniff of great. :smt015
Still doesn't explain or excuse how poorly coached we look. Even a team with a beaten pack can look like they have a gameplan.

I'm struggling to find any of the coaches positions tenable.

RagingBull
Super User
Super User
Posts: 7039
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: Quins vs Tigers

Post by RagingBull » Fri May 03, 2019 10:33 pm

sapajo wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:13 pm
RagingBull wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:09 pm
Darc Tiger wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:02 pm


I'm getting fed up of this excuse. We've played for better with similar packs. This lot are so low on confidence and poorly coached, its unbelievable for a club of our resources.
One off games v constantly over a season is the difference.
We have played some great rugby this year also.

Played a lot of rugby and none of it came close to being a sniff of great. :smt015
Gloucester Home was some very good rugby as was Scarlets Home

JP14
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3454
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:37 am
Location: Neverland

Re: Quins vs Tigers

Post by JP14 » Fri May 03, 2019 10:33 pm

Big Dai wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:39 pm
Sorry..this is brainless tripe.

I've packed all my shirts into s parcel and am sending them back to the club.

If they've got no pride in the colours why in the name of all that's holy should I.
Damn, you’d hope they would send that straight to Oval Park. Hope you’re being serious Big Dai and it’s not the Remy!
"Our Greatest Glory Is Not In Never Failing, But In Rising Every Time We Fall" Confucius

Big Dai
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4373
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:04 pm
Location: Abergavenny

Re: Quins vs Tigers

Post by Big Dai » Fri May 03, 2019 10:43 pm

JP14 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:33 pm
Big Dai wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:39 pm
Sorry..this is brainless tripe.

I've packed all my shirts into s parcel and am sending them back to the club.

If they've got no pride in the colours why in the name of all that's holy should I.
Damn, you’d hope they would send that straight to Oval Park. Hope you’re being serious Big Dai and it’s not the Remy!
Remy, as you well know, is for winning. There's been so little of that lately. Even squeaky wins. Something has been lost. A pride, a togetherness, a cussed fighting spirit and I fear with the current player merry-go-round and mercenaries we won't get back what we once depended on. We used to beat Bath (on occasion) because our forwards were a tight nit bunch who had fight.
I feel we turned our back on tradition and this cohesion and went for this "stellar" back line. We didn't get good quality ball to it often enough and too many times bits of it broke down or cleared off en mass to play international rugby, leaving a weakened, fragmented pack to try to win ball and pick up the pieces.
What we had is gone........ we'll never get that back.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"

jgriffin
Super User
Super User
Posts: 6592
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:49 pm
Location: On the edge of oblivion

Re: Quins vs Tigers

Post by jgriffin » Fri May 03, 2019 10:53 pm

Big Dai wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:43 pm
JP14 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:33 pm
Big Dai wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:39 pm
Sorry..this is brainless tripe.

I've packed all my shirts into s parcel and am sending them back to the club.

If they've got no pride in the colours why in the name of all that's holy should I.
Damn, you’d hope they would send that straight to Oval Park. Hope you’re being serious Big Dai and it’s not the Remy!
Remy, as you well know, is for winning. There's been so little of that lately. Even squeaky wins. Something has been lost. A pride, a togetherness, a cussed fighting spirit and I fear with the current player merry-go-round and mercenaries we won't get back what we once depended on. We used to beat Bath (on occasion) because our forwards were a tight nit bunch who had fight.
I feel we turned our back on tradition and this cohesion and went for this "stellar" back line. We didn't get good quality ball to it often enough and too many times bits of it broke down or cleared off en mass to play international rugby, leaving a weakened, fragmented pack to try to win ball and pick up the pieces.
What we had is gone........ we'll never get that back.
Went when AM came and Cockers went
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.

WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2848
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:07 pm
Location: WIGSTON FIELDS

Re: Quins vs Tigers

Post by WiggoTiger » Fri May 03, 2019 10:57 pm

Sadly today's game sums up the total of our season, huff and puff in possession then knock on or kick the ball away. Why oh why do we not offload out of the tackle?? How many times tonight did we allow Quins the chance to set their defensive line through our slow ball.
Poor kick offs again giving possession away everytime.
Bring on next season
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!

Scott1
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2435
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:03 pm

Re: Quins vs Tigers

Post by Scott1 » Fri May 03, 2019 11:05 pm

Went when AM came yet under him we scored some absolute length of the pitch worldies! The hate is strong in you jgriffin :smt005 :smt002

FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 778
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 11:31 pm
Location: Staffs

Re: Quins vs Tigers

Post by FrontRowUnionMember » Fri May 03, 2019 11:16 pm

WiggoTiger wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:57 pm
Sadly today's game sums up the total of our season, huff and puff in possession then knock on or kick the ball away. Why oh why do we not offload out of the tackle?? How many times tonight did we allow Quins the chance to set their defensive line through our slow ball.
Poor kick offs again giving possession away everytime.
Bring on next season
Because we go side to side too much. Very little go forward. When we do go direct, it’s from a standing start, so lacks any momentum, the defence are taking us behind the gain line. Neither of these options lends itself to an offloading game. Give Ford some moving targets to hit with the ball and we may just see a difference.

Looking to next year, the likes of Taufua and Liebenberg are far more direct and aggressive carriers than the current back row options. Likewise, having players like Taute carrying on hard angles in midfield will stop defenders launching up or drifting too early.
Watching highlights of Viljoen, he does appear a rangy 13, someone who has an ability to get onto defenders weaker outside shoulders, then the strength to move the ball out of any half contact to support runners coming with him. I think securing Blommetjies would work well there, seems to have an eye for a support line.
I maintain a Alex Tuilagi/Goneva threat on the wing would give us even more attacking variety, but I suppose there’s only so much cap space, and if (as suspected) Walker is coming, probably no room for another winger.

westwinds31
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4330
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:26 am

Re: Quins vs Tigers

Post by westwinds31 » Fri May 03, 2019 11:17 pm

If that’s the 4th place team in the league then rugby is in a pretty bad place.

BFG
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2340
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:19 pm

Re: Quins vs Tigers

Post by BFG » Fri May 03, 2019 11:31 pm

What a poor game of rugby.
If only more were as motivated as Harrison.
Ibitoye reminds me of sonic the hedgehog with his eyes closed.

ourla
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2971
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:03 pm

Re: Quins vs Tigers

Post by ourla » Fri May 03, 2019 11:44 pm

I think some of the comments are a bit of an overreaction. Quins had some big players coming back into the team. We are lacking confidence. There are a lot of contributing factors, including yes some coaching issues and poor discipline. I am not trying to claim we were good or that there is anything to celebrate in getting a LBP. But to expect any major shift in performance at this end of the season in the situation we are in is daft.

There will clearly be a shake up in the squad and some coaching changes and it's RWC year so there is plenty of time to regroup, reset, etc. A new season and hopefully a new dawn. Tonight was pretty tight and we could have easily won it - despite not being all that.
You're either in or you're out

Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 934
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:15 pm
Location: High Wycombe, Bucks.

Re: Quins vs Tigers

Post by Dangerous4 » Fri May 03, 2019 11:54 pm

Just back from the game, ( a tad the worse for wear ).

This was a bitter sweet occasion. It looked like it was all over, and no points, and I felt gutted. Then that so very important moment at the end. The defeat suddenly felt like a victory, and the pressure is now like a mountain to climb for Newcastle, I would imagine. Our problems remain, clearly, but at least we put up a fight.

All eyes now on the Gloucester game.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: castrofan, charleypendery, FrontRowUnionMember and 2 guests