It was 10 years ago...

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

strawclearer
Super User
Super User

It was 10 years ago...

Post by strawclearer »

"On 3 May 2009, Cardiff Blues hosted Leicester Tigers at the national stadium for a Heineken Cup semi-final. The visitors dominated the first half, but after a stirring Blues fightback, a draw and a sterile spell of extra-time, we witnessed one of rugby’s strangest and most gripping finale’s to a match: a penalty shootout. We have seen nothing like it in professional rugby before or since..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmIzYvh9Dys

https://www.rugbyworld.com/featured/lei ... tory-99552
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
1989Tiger

Re: It was 10 years ago...

Post by 1989Tiger »

I was there. What a game!
PGD
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PGD »

Horrified to think Castro might've had to kick a ball... I'll bet Castro wasn't happy either. Finished up after the game in an Italian with a number of Blues fans, singing our way through the Tom Jones songbook (assisted by a lot of red wine). What rugby's about.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

A memorable game, and I was a bag of nerves at the end.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

That was a good year. Cardiff, Twickenham and Edinburgh. So close to beating Leinster. So close to a coronary event at Cardiff.
I'm not cynical just experienced
clarkey80
Tiger Cub

Post by clarkey80 »

I had to watch it on record.
I came back home and turned on my sky box and was surprised to see that the game was still being recorded when it should have finished. For the life of me I couldn't fathom it out!
Had tickets for the final in Edinburgh so the feeling of joy at that Crane kick was awesome!
Miss those days...
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Mentioned in a conversation with two Blues fans in City Arms last year! Despite losing, a life highlight for them as a unique event.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

I watched it in the Plough at Bruntingthorpe with two of my boys. We had snook away from a family party (my wife's ageing Aunt) in Shearsby and I said "We won't be long".

When we returned 2.5 hours or so later my wife said; "Where have you been?" I said "there was extra time and penalties!!"

She needless to say thought I was taking the :censored:!!
Soggypitch
Voyager1
Tiger Cub

Post by Voyager1 »

I remember it quite well perhaps for all the wrong reasons. When the Tigers came out of the tunnel at the start of the game they were actually booed on to the pitch by the Cardiff fans, in all my years following rugby union I had never experienced that before. I thought it was an absolute disgrace, and they got their comeuppance at the end. A terrific win by the lads. :smt045 :smt041
What noise annoys an oyster
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Incredibly exciting at the time, but I don’t think I’d want to see another game decided by penalty shoot out.

There has to be a better way.
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

teds wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 9:24 am Incredibly exciting at the time, but I don’t think I’d want to see another game decided by penalty shoot out.

There has to be a better way.
I believe now, each team nominate one kicker to kick from different areas on the pitch.
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

Gosh, ten years. Where has that time gone? I remember the penalty shoot out so well. I was at the other end of the ground though, and did actually watch it, hands over mouth. I thought their player would miss - his body language said I don't want to be here. Then JC kicked his. Wonderful.

Ah, the good old days.