Tigers v Bristol - 27th April 2019

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Tigers v Bristol - 27th April 2019

Post by MikeR »

Harrison yet again gifts a try with a poor kick - too slow and utterly predictable . Take away Ford , May , Spencer and Thompson we are a very poor side - I began to think Genge was already playing for Bristol , the points he kept giving them . That play by Wells at the end summed it all up - brainless.
Goshengareth

Post by Goshengareth »

My first live home match for a while. What a lot of bilge. Bristol weren’t even very good. I think it says it all that we got beaten by a poor side and us fans took it in their stride. No one was surprised.

Will the new players in the squad next season change things? I’m not sure it will make enough of a difference.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

In my view, the forwards carried well today especially Kalamafoni and Spencer, but the attack (especially from Toomua) was far too lateral and easily defendable. I thought one of their tries was a forward pass but I was far away in the Crumbie so I can’t say for sure. Personally I don’t think the level of negativity is particularly warranted, Dickson was played like a fiddle by Afoa and Lay. I’m all for former players becoming refs, but the level of bias shown today was not acceptable.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

JP14 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:55 pm In my view, the forwards carried well today especially Kalamafoni and Spencer, but the attack (especially from Toomua) was far too lateral and easily defendable. I thought one of their tries was a forward pass but I was far away in the Crumbie so I can’t say for sure. Personally I don’t think the level of negativity is particularly warranted, Dickson was played like a fiddle by Afoa and Lay. I’m all for former players becoming refs, but the level of bias shown today was not acceptable.
The Bristol tries were reviewed in the background for forward passes and given the all clear.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

I don’t get to go to many matches in a season - and the evidence of what I saw today, thank God for that. Leaking three tries at home to a side of Bristol’s calibre is embarrassing. Whoever is in charge of defence should be told in no uncertain terms to pack his bags immediately! Geordan Murphy is clearly way out of his depth and should also go. The former players who were on the pitch at half time must be wondering what has happened to a once great club.
Semper in excretia
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

Well that was.....disappointing.

Microcosm of the season really. Got into a decent position but let it drift away. Made the line breaks, but no support on the shoulder or confidence to make the pass. To be fair, it is yet another centre combination (plus Smith not long back from a serious injury) so perhaps it was going to be a bit disjointed. Although you do have to wonder what exactly they have been training on for the last fortnight. Pressure and tension cause poor decision making. I don't envy the coaches jobs at the moment, pressure must be immense and they have to prepare a demoralised team for a Friday night at the Stoop.

At least they got the LBP , which might be critical in the end.

Survive (one point will do), rest and regroup for preseason with new recruits and new energy.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:58 pm
JP14 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:55 pm In my view, the forwards carried well today especially Kalamafoni and Spencer, but the attack (especially from Toomua) was far too lateral and easily defendable. I thought one of their tries was a forward pass but I was far away in the Crumbie so I can’t say for sure. Personally I don’t think the level of negativity is particularly warranted, Dickson was played like a fiddle by Afoa and Lay. I’m all for former players becoming refs, but the level of bias shown today was not acceptable.
The Bristol tries were reviewed in the background for forward passes and given the all clear.
Looked to me like it was reviewed for foot in touch.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Accusing the ref of bias is pathetic in the extreme and not what I would expect of anyone with decent rugby values.

We played poorly, just like for most of the season, we need a clear out of the players who don't have the ability and/or character to be true Tigers. Then we need to recruit some good replacements, and as Les Cusworth said, get a world class DoR to help Geordie and the other coaches worth keeping (Boris, Brett, Ant and Ford).

I watched Sarries last week and was so impressed with their skill, unrelenting work rate and togetherness. We have a mountain to climb but it is not impossible.
Soggypitch
rich1576

Post by rich1576 »

I think the best we can hope for, for the remaining two games is two losing bonus points. At least that will make us safe. What worries me is their is nothing to suggest that this won’t happen again next season.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Ultimately I fail to see any discipline, gameplan or structure imparted by this current coaching setup.
Yes, if you want to wear the rose tinted glasses, you may look at the initial declared recruitment plus those rumoured to be following, and hope for a better outcome, but ultimately I’m not seeing any evidence of coaching improvement with the current lot, so how is that going to change.
Look at today, we’ve been turned over by what really is a fairly average looking Bristol side. Man for man, we’re they better calibre players? Or are we that poor collectively.
I see Sarries and Exeter, the current pace setters, and regardless of the starting lineups they field, I see a clear structure and style that surpasses the player selection. With us I don’t see anything like that, it all seems hopeful on individuals to give moments of inspiration.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

rich1576 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:18 pm I think the best we can hope for, for the remaining two games is two losing bonus points. At least that will make us safe. What worries me is their is nothing to suggest that this won’t happen again next season.
Spot on. But I suspect even a LBP away against Quins might be difficult to secure. Bath at home is another matter...(or should be another matter...who knows).
I think Glaws and Saints trying to secure top 4 will be our saviours next weekend...
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Soggypitch wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:06 pm
Accusing the ref of bias is pathetic in the extreme and not what I would expect of anyone with decent rugby values.

We played poorly, just like for most of the season, we need a clear out of the players who don't have the ability and/or character to be true Tigers. Then we need to recruit some good replacements, and as Les Cusworth said, get a world class DoR to help Geordie and the other coaches worth keeping (Boris, Brett, Ant and Ford).

I watched Sarries last week and was so impressed with their skill, unrelenting work rate and togetherness. We have a mountain to climb but it is not impossible.
So I can’t accuse the ref of bias, but you can accuse me of not having decent rugby values despite the fact it’s unlikely we have ever met in person? Great!
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

I have to respectfully disagree with you there; we lost every cup game Deacon was in charge of and our forwards play has been awful, Ford has made no difference whatsoever since he arrived and Allen doesn't have nearly the amount of experience that the head of an academy the size of ours requires. They're all out of their depth and floundering.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:50 pm
I have to respectfully disagree with you there; we lost every cup game Deacon was in charge of and our forwards play has been awful, Ford has made no difference whatsoever since he arrived and Allen doesn't have nearly the amount of experience that the head of an academy the size of ours requires. They're all out of their depth and floundering.
Ant Allen isn't the head of the academy. He coaches with the academy and the A league squad. I'm not sure you can say anyone in the academy is floundering as we are unbeaten for two seasons and are providing a number of players who look able to make the step up in the near future.

Realistically we'll see no improvements before next season. It's very difficult to change structures during a season where you've got games to prepare for during the week. MOC left us with nothing other than Boris and his scrum. Murphy has at times come up with some inventive strategies and has developed a young squad well, however, giving him an inexperienced coaching staff and no DOR has meant that we are lacking at a time where we need guidance.
parvacat

Post by parvacat »

Ah, suddenly remembered why I cancelled my membership after spending a great deal of money to watch the abysmal display at Bristol in December. Stupid enough to fork out £39 for a ticket today thinking attitudes might have changed. Wrong!