Cohen in the Express.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Cohen in the Express.

Post by Scott1 »

What's the timing with Cohen's words and Howard coming in and looking through the club? Is Cohen worried? Or is he a Howard ally?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Sorry,I read that Howard was going through the club with a fine tooth comb. That seems not to be the case at all,ignore my last post.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

NONAME wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:44 am Unbelievable...have you not seen the ground improvements. The Hotel deal, new car park and shops planned these are down to Cohen's shrewd management without I may add a bucket full of money.

You are making him the scape goat for other peoples failings. People higher than him have the final say. Without Cohen the club would not have a secure future. Take a look at the latest accounts and then take a look at the other premiership clubs accounts. Take a look at our stadium and then look at Exeter, Bath, etc

As for match day experience I agree we are not the best but nowhere near the worse.

Finally SC office is always open to hear the views of supporters, his presence on the terraces allows him to listen to many views, good and bad so I suggest rather than 'slag' the guy off go and meet him and discuss the issues. Don't think many CEO's would be up for that.
It did not take a genius to work out that owning the land adjacent to your business and putting it to productive use would be a good idea. Small cafe's do it when they put tables and chairs outside. Schools do it when they sell of land and go into joint-ventures with building companies and supermarket chains. The fact that Tigers own their ground, helps him enormously in that respect with the banks and borrowing. That is not his fault.

However an effective CEO would say "Unless the structure and processes within the club are fit for purpose I cannot do my job. Either change the former or I go". Why? Because if the structures of the business aren't right, it will always be difficult for the club to thrive in the future. It is a CEO's responsibility to call these things for what they to those he reports to.

So what what innovation? What remarkable sponsorship deals? (He inherited the best brand in English rugby). What about the match day experience for spectators? It is behind a number of other clubs - Harlequins (I am no fan) being a prime example?He's even acknowledged that the match day strip is of poor quality.

As for Exeter. So they have made less progress in the last five / six years in your opinion than Tigers? Do you think they are going to just stop?
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

NONAME wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:08 am
sapajo wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:24 am
NONAME wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:20 am Who would have predicted we would have been fighting relegation a month ago.
Blinking obvious given the same repeated naive game plan, horrendous defence and dire performances !
Think you misunderstood...At the beginning of the season would you have thought that.
No misunderstanding on my part you are thr person that said a month ago not me! Changing your tune now to say the beginning of the season does not change that fact.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

The subtext here seems to be that the club are acutely aware that they may have made yet another error by appointing Geordan in the top job. There's a lot of 'we'll support Geordie with X,Y,Z' which sounds great but also suggests that they know he lacks the knowledge and experience for that role.

Maybe I'm being harsh here but it does seem as though the club are trying to compensate for Murphy's unsuitability for the role rather than addressing the issue and admitting they made another poor appointment. It seems very much as though they're hoping Murphy will somehow develop into a successful Head Coach rather than truly believing that he will.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Has the planning of the hotel been a distraction to the BOD. from the playing side, I wonder? This could be a large part of the problem, but obviously there is more to it than that. Some things are obvious, especially the apparent dire coaching.
Freebird
Tiger Cub

Post by Freebird »

sapajo wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:58 am
NONAME wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:43 am A very clever and well respected ex-player said to me its a 5 year rebuilding process so we will have to get use to mid table and hope for Top 4
No chance we have had 5 years of failed turmoil and I for one cannot countenance another 5 years of " rebuilding". Its taken Saints just a season to restore their fortunes and they have achieved this by better recruitment and crucially a proven top quality DOR!!!
Given that Saints won the Premiership 5 years ago, I'm not sure that their current fourth place (10, 20 and 30 points behind the teams in front of them) counts as restoring their fortunes.

There does seem to be a accepted view on here that appointing any old top johnny foreigner is some sort of silver bullet; however, the coaches who have delivered silverware to English Clubs in the last 10 years have been no more johnny foreigner than Geordan Murphy. Of course that could change this year but even so it would still be the exception rather than the rule. Meanwhile, another 'top foreign coach' in Todd Blackadder will depart these shores having delivered, well nothing.
JWM
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by JWM »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:20 am I thought the general consensus was that MOC was largely a Tom call. With not many people in the Rugby committee objecting or putting up a strong opposition.
But surely we all know, the conveniently unemployed MOC was appointed after exhaustive worldwide search by a high end team of independent experts.
ST in new Clubhouse stand ... sadly, my back's no longer up to standing :-(