Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 6

Post by RagingBull »

DingDong wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:54 am
RagingBull wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:22 pm ...Phoenix hard to say given he was out all season.
Phoenix attended the England 7s Academy Talent Identification Camp last weekend!
Makes sense for him to go the Ryan Olowofela way with Guililand and Browning.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Has Tom Varndell moved on now? I thought he had but cannot find anything official whilst musing through the news section with a cup of tea...as you do.
As Good As It Gets
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Scuttle wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:10 pm Has Tom Varndell moved on now? I thought he had but cannot find anything official whilst musing through the news section with a cup of tea...as you do.
He went off to play for a team based in Hong Kong, unclear as to how long for. Surprising as surely there must have been a Championship of French D2 team willing to take a punt, but maybe he just fancied a change of scenery.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerCam wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:41 pm
RagingBull wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:20 pm Wessels saying he is hoping Tigers might release Toomua should we become mathematically safe from relegation.
This is what really 'bums me out'. If the Tigers have a contracted player then for the sake of the fans, than anything else, they should, if available, be in a Tigers shirt to the last game of the season and not just wander off just because, mathematically, the Tigers are safe. We pay good money to see the contracted squad play every game if possible and it does us a dis-service by diluting the squad by actions like these.
The Rebels can have Toomua early if we can Wessells for next season. There's a DOR/Head Coach that has turned around two failing Aussie teams in succession (admittedly they aren't on the same level as the Kiwi franchises but that was never going to be the case in such a short period of time).
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Does anyone know much about Liebenberg? Have to be honest, know absolutely zilch about the bloke.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerMac3 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:07 pm Does anyone know much about Liebenberg? Have to be honest, know absolutely zilch about the bloke.
Mainly an 8 but can also play lock and 6. Captained SA under 20s and his club. Seems to be a bit of a unit that throws his weight around with some intelligence. At 23 still has plenty of development time. One to try and watch in Super rugby over the next few months to see what we might be getting. He looks like he should be the kind of player we need.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:32 pm
TigerMac3 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:07 pm Does anyone know much about Liebenberg? Have to be honest, know absolutely zilch about the bloke.
Mainly an 8 but can also play lock and 6. Captained SA under 20s and his club. Seems to be a bit of a unit that throws his weight around with some intelligence. At 23 still has plenty of development time. One to try and watch in Super rugby over the next few months to see what we might be getting. He looks like he should be the kind of player we need.
You mean we are actually signing an 8 :smt041 :smt041 hope this is true so I can finally use my Tigers are signing a number 8 klaxon!!! It has been kept in a drawer since the Waldrom and Pearce days :smt030

Imagine him with Taufua 6 and Thompson 7...that is a ball carrying combo if ever I saw one : )
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

I believe that Tomás Lavanini will give the Tigers’ pack a lot more grunt next season. At 2m01 and 130kgs, 40 odd caps for the Pumas and a reputation for “getting his retaliation in first”, he’ll hopefully contribute to raising the level of physicality and aggression that Tigers’ packs have lacked for a few seasons since the likes of Brad Thorne were on the pitch.
Semper in excretia
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

I've been looking to catch Jordan Taufua in action (Crusaders are playing right now, as I type), but I've noticed he's consistently on the bench behind Whetu Douglas at #6.

Does anyone watch Super Rugby more closely to share how Taufua's season has gone?

I'd expect a marquee signing to be one of the most influential players at the club we're signing him from, but this is the Crusaders, they've quality everywhere.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:55 am I've been looking to catch Jordan Taufua in action (Crusaders are playing right now, as I type), but I've noticed he's consistently on the bench behind Whetu Douglas at #6.

Does anyone watch Super Rugby more closely to share how Taufua's season has gone?

I'd expect a marquee signing to be one of the most influential players at the club we're signing him from, but this is the Crusaders, they've quality everywhere.
He started the season well and was in the starting back row. I've not seen any of their matches for a couple of weeks but the last game I did see he started and played well.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:55 am I've been looking to catch Jordan Taufua in action (Crusaders are playing right now, as I type), but I've noticed he's consistently on the bench behind Whetu Douglas at #6.

I think firstly he isn’t a marquee signing. Secondly he is spending some time on the bench but always makes an impact whether from the bench or starting.
The Crusaders are obviously aware he is leaving along with Reid and must be looking at options for next season.
I predict he will have at least the same impact as a signing as Craig Newby, he really is that good
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

He's started half the games he has played and scored 3 tries.
But end of the day Douglas is also going to be at the saders next whereas Taufua won't.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

With Liebenberg definitely coming in the back row as a entire unit should be very promising and well balance (Like everything should be).
6. Taufua, Denton
7. Thompson, Reffell
8. Liebenberg, Kalamafoni, Tuilagi

Also really that group will be pretty much available for the whole of next season after the rugby world cup.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:31 am With Liebenberg definitely coming in the back row as a entire unit should be very promising and well balance (Like everything should be).
6. Taufua, Denton
7. Thompson, Reffell

Also really that group will be pretty much available for the whole of next season after the rugby world cup.
I fear we may have seen the last of Denton, he really should not risk another head injury. I always thought Kalamafoni might be a better 6.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

drc_007 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:46 am
RagingBull wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:31 am With Liebenberg definitely coming in the back row as a entire unit should be very promising and well balance (Like everything should be).
6. Taufua, Denton
7. Thompson, Reffell

I fear we may have seen the last of Denton, he really should not risk another head injury. I always thought Kalamafoni might be a better 6.
Well if Denton was to retire which may well happen he will be replaced.
Maybe Wilson on a short term deal.