LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 6

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 6

Post by Scott1 »

Did by Dad hear this right but he's adamant that they said during the Newcastle game that McGuigan was on his back. Anyone know?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:00 pm Did by Dad hear this right but he's adamant that they said during the Newcastle game that McGuigan was on his back. Anyone know?
The only other place I’ve seen it mentioned Scott is on this forum. Must be a possibility if they get relegated.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Thanks! I couldn't bring myself to watch the game live :smt002
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:09 pm Thanks! I couldn't bring myself to watch the game live :smt002
I’ve been like that for the past month, doesn’t do my anxiety any good at all
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Wessels saying he is hoping Tigers might release Toomua should we become mathematically safe from relegation.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I've suffered from anxiety for years Mark,mostly physical symptoms. Headaches, palpitations,panic attacks,at times I've thought I was on my way out. Try CBD oil,it's worked miracles for me and has cured my neck,shoulder pain from the gym too.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:20 pm Wessels saying he is hoping Tigers might release Toomua should we become mathematically safe from relegation.
Depends on Eastmond fitness I would imagine
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:22 pm I've suffered from anxiety for years Mark,mostly physical symptoms. Headaches, palpitations,panic attacks,at times I've thought I was on my way out. Try CBD oil,it's worked miracles for me and has cured my neck,shoulder pain from the gym too.
Thanks just ordered some
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Good man! Need any info pm me ok.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Mark62 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:05 pm
Scott1 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:00 pm Did by Dad hear this right but he's adamant that they said during the Newcastle game that McGuigan was on his back. Anyone know?
The only other place I’ve seen it mentioned Scott is on this forum. Must be a possibility if they get relegated.
Sounding more likely that he's heading to Irish along with possible returns for Johnny Williams (also has a relegation clause) and Jamie Gibson (formerly of this parish).

McGuigan went to Falcons for a very health salary from what I've heard, rumoured to be around £250k mark, similar to Harry heading to Bristol. With Cooper holding him out the starting shirt and Falcons cutting their salary budget it might make sense for both parties. Plus Irish have some cap to play with.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

TigerMac3 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:29 pm Ahh. Didn’t know that. Still, looks like he’s got a decent crop to work with. Do we know when to expect development > senior promotions to be announced?
Lewis, Reffell, White, Simmons, Hardwick and Olowofela have already re-signed. Given their age and several already getting significant First XV game time they may well all be in the senior squad next season.

I believe Heyes is in contract for next season. Having pushed onto that bench spot behind Cole he would be deserving of a senior squad place.

Aspland-Robinson is slightly different story as he's 22 but came from Quins so is in his first season. He's currently development squad but has featured a bit for the First XV since returning from injury.

Mahoney will be a tough call. He's 21 already but was very highly rated prior to a disrupted season this year. I hope he stays on and recovers ground next season as he looked a strong talent.

The remaining are all forwards and young enough for another season in the development squad - Grahamslaw (20), Lines, (19) Jordan (19), Lavin (18), Smith (19) and Gough (19). Grahamslaw converted to loosehead later on so might be given another year, he's well considered by the Scotland U20s.

There are plenty of talented academy players coming through though. RagingBull posted those as rumoured academy grads for next season in page 1 of this thread. There are 10 forwards and 11 backs.

Hookers: Shaun Allsop, Finlay Gibson
Props: Alex Maxwell, James Whitecombe
Locks: George Martin, Tom Manz, Scott McVea
Back Row: Ollie Ashworth, Will Blackhouse, Sam Eveleigh
Scrum Half: Jonny Law, Harris Orridge Du Bois, Jack Van Poortvelt
Fly Half: Sam Costelow, Harry Glynn
Centre: Benjamin Dickinson, Ronnie Du Rant,
Wingers: Joe Browning, Leo Gilliland, Luke Phoenix
Full Back: Freddie Steward

Martin, Eveleigh, Costelow, Du Rant, Pheonix and Steward all standout whenever I see them play. The youth system is in good health to rebuild the foundation of academy grads that the senior squad needs.
BG01

Post by BG01 »

ABClub wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:39 pm
TigerMac3 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:29 pm Ahh. Didn’t know that. Still, looks like he’s got a decent crop to work with. Do we know when to expect development > senior promotions to be announced?
Lewis, Reffell, White, Simmons, Hardwick and Olowofela have already re-signed. Given their age and several already getting significant First XV game time they may well all be in the senior squad next season.

I believe Heyes is in contract for next season. Having pushed onto that bench spot behind Cole he would be deserving of a senior squad place.

Aspland-Robinson is slightly different story as he's 22 but came from Quins so is in his first season. He's currently development squad but has featured a bit for the First XV since returning from injury.

Mahoney will be a tough call. He's 21 already but was very highly rated prior to a disrupted season this year. I hope he stays on and recovers ground next season as he looked a strong talent.

The remaining are all forwards and young enough for another season in the development squad - Grahamslaw (20), Lines, (19) Jordan (19), Lavin (18), Smith (19) and Gough (19). Grahamslaw converted to loosehead later on so might be given another year, he's well considered by the Scotland U20s.

There are plenty of talented academy players coming through though. RagingBull posted those as rumoured academy grads for next season in page 1 of this thread. There are 10 forwards and 11 backs.

Hookers: Shaun Allsop, Finlay Gibson
Props: Alex Maxwell, James Whitecombe
Locks: George Martin, Tom Manz, Scott McVea
Back Row: Ollie Ashworth, Will Blackhouse, Sam Eveleigh
Scrum Half: Jonny Law, Harris Orridge Du Bois, Jack Van Poortvelt
Fly Half: Sam Costelow, Harry Glynn
Centre: Benjamin Dickinson, Ronnie Du Rant,
Wingers: Joe Browning, Leo Gilliland, Luke Phoenix
Full Back: Freddie Steward

Martin, Eveleigh, Costelow, Du Rant, Pheonix and Steward all standout whenever I see them play. The youth system is in good health to rebuild the foundation of academy grads that the senior squad needs.
Would expect Joe Browning, Jonny Law, Van Poortvelt, and James Whitcombe to be in the mix as well - all well regarded.
Never believe generalisations
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I would say
Whitcombe, Martin, Eveleigh, Costelow, Browning, Steward are 100%
Gilliland, Law, JVP, are very likely. Law and JVP mightbe pushing to have both of them
Ashworth has a good shout if not for the fact we have one of the standout players in the academy league coming up in that position IMO.
Phoenix hard to say given he was out all season.

Manz and Du Randt are also in the mix. I like du Randt he reminds me of Dingwall at saints.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

I meant to list Joe Browning there, apologies. An excellent finisher. His second try in the U18 final shouldn't have been easy with two men covering him but he just sauntered over. He has some power to go with the pace.

Agree on Du Randt. He looks solid in defense as well. His turnover in the U18 final that fed Browning's first try was textbook.

RB - Do you think any of the current development squad will be released? In Grahamslaw and Mahoney there are a couple of front rows yet to impact the first XV but they are well considered.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Next season is going to be strange with the World Cup dominating star players time early on. We know from experience that players involved in the latter stages of that competition don not return immediately it is over and even when they are back with us it takes time for them to regain Leicester form. I think the signing of experienced cover is a good move, the announcements so far are of players good enough not to be simply accepting a back-up role they will be pushing for a first team spot even when the internationals are available. They will increase our squad depth and they added to the developing youngsters from our Academy who will also be pushing for a starting position. With these new guys and more yet to be announced we are ensuring that next season will not be a repeat of this.