Marcus Smith

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Marcus Smith

Post by BigDan50 »

Watching the Clermont vs Harlequins game tonight and even though Quins are losing the stand out player in the Quins team is Marcus Smith, what a talent for one so young, a future England fly half, not seen a player of that age with so much talent in a long time.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: Marcus Smith

Post by Mark62 »

Jury still out for me, he was very good yesterday but can also have some very flakey moments.

Separate note Sinckler indiscipline may well have cost them that game, losing a lot of momentum after his stupid penalty
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

BigDan50 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:23 pm Watching the Clermont vs Harlequins game tonight and even though Quins are losing the stand out player in the Quins team is Marcus Smith, what a talent for one so young, a future England fly half, not seen a player of that age with so much talent in a long time.

He certainly played very well, and looks to be a great prospect.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

BigDan50 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:23 pm Watching the Clermont vs Harlequins game tonight and even though Quins are losing the stand out player in the Quins team is Marcus Smith, what a talent for one so young, a future England fly half, not seen a player of that age with so much talent in a long time.
Not in the Cipriani class, and I suspect some more solid/stable talents will overtake him.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Very good player, suffering a bit of second season syndrome but definitely one of our best prospects. I had a discussion with a chap who rated Simmonds better but he's been getting an armchair ride all season behind that pack. The sign of a good player to me, especially at 10, is one who still shines behind a poor pack. Smith last season,Ford this. I would go one further and say that the reason Chiefs arnt taking that extra step is because their halfbacks arnt good enough. It's alright bullying league teams but in Europe when opposing French or Irish packs get parity or even get on top you need that bit of extra magic or control at 9/10 and they dont have it. Sorry I veered off a bit haha!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:48 pm Very good player, suffering a bit of second season syndrome but definitely one of our best prospects. I had a discussion with a chap who rated Simmonds better but he's been getting an armchair ride all season behind that pack. The sign of a good player to me, especially at 10, is one who still shines behind a poor pack. Smith last season,Ford this. I would go one further and say that the reason Chiefs arnt taking that extra step is because their halfbacks arnt good enough. It's alright bullying league teams but in Europe when opposing French or Irish packs get parity or even get on top you need that bit of extra magic or control at 9/10 and they dont have it. Sorry I veered off a bit haha!
Agreed. Chiefs could do with some more sparkle at 9 and 10. They are a little to workman like in those areas.

Smith is a bright talent. There's still things he needs to learn but at 20 he's still developing and he has a great mentor coaching him in Evans. He guided Quins back into the game well yesterday, if he'd had a better scrum half serving him then maybe Quins could have snatched it. Liked his improved tactical kicking.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Not convinced.
Capable but not a young George Ford.
Unlikely to develop the required physicality for the top level.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

mol2 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:45 pm Not convinced.
Capable but not a young George Ford.
Unlikely to develop the required physicality for the top level.
Do you by any chance mean the ability to tackle with no arms, shoulder charge WWE style, and get away with it, like Owen!
Smith isn't my favourite player with that Sinckler like expression, but he isn't the worst, he has good feet which at least holds a defensive line into guessing some.