LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 6

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 6

Post by Scott1 »

I sure hope we get Lavinini,makes Etzebeth look soft! We need some monsters in the pack
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Looks a decent list, although I’d question the need for 4 new centres, Taute, Reid, Viljoen and Forsyth (admittedly Forsyth is allegedly dual registered). I think switch one centre for a full back, because we’re an explosive outside back short, maybe Blommetjies is on unofficial trial rather than loan.
Couple of previously mentioned players missing, maybe that’s what RB is alluding to.
Luke Wallace, Charlie Clare and Charlie Walker. Jordan Coghlan also mentioned previously, plays 7 predominantly.

Ma’afu - Leatigaga
Polota-Nau? - Clare
Kitchener - Lavanini
Fitzgerald - Green
Williams - Taufua
O’Connor - Wallace/Coghlan
Evans - Liebenberg
Toomua - Reid
Owen - Taute
Smith? - Viljoen
Sarto/Thompstone? - Walker?
Tait - Blommetjies

If so, that’d round the squad out nicely for me.
BG01

Post by BG01 »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:30 am Looks a decent list, although I’d question the need for 4 new centres, Taute, Reid, Viljoen and Forsyth (admittedly Forsyth is allegedly dual registered). I think switch one centre for a full back, because we’re an explosive outside back short, maybe Blommetjies is on unofficial trial rather than loan.
Couple of previously mentioned players missing, maybe that’s what RB is alluding to.
Luke Wallace, Charlie Clare and Charlie Walker. Jordan Coghlan also mentioned previously, plays 7 predominantly.

Ma’afu - Leatigaga
Polota-Nau? - Clare
Kitchener - Lavanini
Fitzgerald - Green
Williams - Taufua
O’Connor - Wallace/Coghlan
Evans - Liebenberg
Toomua - Reid
Owen - Taute
Smith? - Viljoen
Sarto/Thompstone? - Walker?
Tait - Blommetjies

If so, that’d round the squad out nicely for me.
Taute and EWJ both can and do play FB (and Reid plays 10), so I think the plan is probably that we're expecting not all 4 of them to play centre the whole time
Never believe generalisations
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Fitzgerald confirmed off? Shame if so,I like him. Williams always had the physical tools but Fitzy has the attitude and application. Very good squad player and worth keeping imo. A SH coming in when Harrison goes to Oz or sticking with Youngs,White,Simmonds?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Wouldn't hold any breaths on Walker and Wallace coming just yet.
Might happen but unlike most of the ones named not a done deal. Or anything close to one last I heard.

Taute isn't really a 15 anymore IMO, lost the gas needed for it. 100% a good 12 or 13 option though.

Clare would be replacing Stevens if he comes. Or at least a back up option to Stevens should we give him more time.
If Polota-Nau goes expect a biggers Hooker coming in.

Interesting George McGugian linked to in the Rugby Paper I don't think anything is in it over Agent trying to bump his price elsewhere though as he's linked to London Irish (Along with Jonny Williams)
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:51 am Fitzgerald confirmed off? Shame if so,I like him. Williams always had the physical tools but Fitzy has the attitude and application. Very good squad player and worth keeping imo. A SH coming in when Harrison goes to Oz or sticking with Youngs,White,Simmonds?
With Law coming through too, there is enough quality there
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

and Van Poortvliet. (Playing for the England U18 today)

With Sam Edwards in the U17's.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I assume RB means bigger name than Polota-Nau rather than size, doubt we could afford Marx or Chat, some good Aussie hookers around at the moment. Intriguing...
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

JP14 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:44 am I assume RB means bigger name than Polota-Nau rather than size, doubt we could afford Marx or Chat, some good Aussie hookers around at the moment. Intriguing...
Not so much bigger name than him, just a bigger name than Clare.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

JP14 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:44 am I assume RB means bigger name than Polota-Nau rather than size, doubt we could afford Marx or Chat, some good Aussie hookers around at the moment. Intriguing...
Would love to see Bongi Mbonambi in a Tigers shirt
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Any clue to what league he plays in RB?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I'm just speaking out loud Polota-Nau is on around 350,000 maybe.
I'm sure there is plenty of Super rugby hookers out of contract that could be signed for a fraction of that, maybe one with International caps and only just coming into his prime potentially.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tolu Latu?
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

I’d be less concerned about replacing TPN. I think his salary could be better used elsewhere, when you consider Youngs is a solid first choice, and Kerr is improving week on week as 2nd choice. Having Stevens and Clare as 3rd/4th choice isn’t bad. Though I’m sure there was talk of a Fijian hooker, Dolokoto??

Was it case of either/or for Wallace and Coghlan, or was that just unsubstantiated rumours.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Dolokoto was never linked to us. Just someone saying it would be good if we signed him.