Tigers v Newcastle - 12th April 2019

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Newcastle - 12th April 2019

Post by Cagey Tiger »

G.K wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:37 am I'm really not bothered whether some on here agree with my point of view but that time wasting by Ford was against the spirit of the game and was another step in the wrong direction.

Law 9. 26 A player must not do anything that is against the spirit of good sportsmanship.

It's a shame Tigers have to stoop this low to try and win a game now :smt009
If you are going to take this stance on something that is within the law, I presume that you will be breathing fire and brimstone about every act of deliberate cheating, gamesmanship, call it what you will commited by all teams. Breaking the laws and cheating definitely being "against the spirit of good sportsmanship".
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:37 am
G.K wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:37 am I'm really not bothered whether some on here agree with my point of view but that time wasting by Ford was against the spirit of the game and was another step in the wrong direction.

Law 9. 26 A player must not do anything that is against the spirit of good sportsmanship.

If you are going to take this stance on something that is within the law, I presume that you will be breathing fire and brimstone about every act of deliberate cheating, gamesmanship, call it what you will commited by all teams. Breaking the laws and cheating definitely being "against the spirit of good sportsmanship".
Only if it's tigers that do it.....
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:14 pm

Fire and Brimstone - are you Ian Paisley re-incarnated?

However yes I'm not in favour of Rugby becoming a game where those that cheat the most effectively win, which seems to be the way it's going.

I just wonder how this discussion would have played out if it had have been Toby Flood for Falcons that did it and Tigers lost?
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

G.K wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:07 pm

However yes I'm not in favour of Rugby becoming a game where those that cheat the most effectively win, which seems to be the way it's going.

I just wonder how this discussion would have played out if it had have been Toby Flood for Falcons that did it and Tigers lost?
Just for clarity, because someone can't quote clearly - I did not make that last comment.....

If Flood had done it, I for one would have accepted it was within the laws of the game, and no subjective interpretation of other 'good sport' laws would change that. Can't speak for others.

Change the laws by all means but don't castigate players for applying them to their advantage. Taking 80-85 seconds to take a kick is not cheating when the law permits 90 seconds.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:27 pm
G.K wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:07 pm

Just for clarity, because someone can't quote clearly - I did not make that last comment.....

If Flood had done it, I for one would have accepted it was within the laws of the game, and no subjective interpretation of other 'good sport' laws would change that. Can't speak for others.

Change the laws by all means but don't castigate players for applying them to their advantage. Taking 80-85 seconds to take a kick is not cheating when the law permits 90 seconds.
+1 :smt023
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Time wasting has gone on forever, whatever suits in the moment.
It could though be just one reason amongst a list of many for Tigers falling behind the top sides.
There are sides who are better with the ball more in play and sides that are better not so.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

As I have said before, watch other games, all teams do.Ford was brilliant and Barnes stops the watch on any occasion he sees players trying to run it down. If you watched the Exeter v Wasps game today, Wasps knew their ref wasn’t going to stop the game like Barnes and there were lots of times they managed to run down time before Sir stopped the clock . Well done them! Have we all forgotten “The Hand Of Back,” and the great reaction from Munster: “ If one of our players had managed to do that we’d have made him Mayor! “
I don’t understand fans moaning about Fordy, who has given his all in every game.
Exeter and Sarries subtle blocking is far worse to me than running the clock down, but if the ref doesn’t pick it up, then fair play to them.
Well done George Ford and keep up the great work.
Come on you moaners: get behind your team in difficult times and not just the good ones.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Good post Ian!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Coleshillad
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Coleshillad »

Ian Cant wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:54 pm As I have said before, watch other games, all teams do.Ford was brilliant and Barnes stops the watch on any occasion he sees players trying to run it down. If you watched the Exeter v Wasps game today, Wasps knew their ref wasn’t going to stop the game like Barnes and there were lots of times they managed to run down time before Sir stopped the clock . Well done them! Have we all forgotten “The Hand Of Back,” and the great reaction from Munster: “ If one of our players had managed to do that we’d have made him Mayor! “
I don’t understand fans moaning about Fordy, who has given his all in every game.
Exeter and Sarries subtle blocking is far worse to me than running the clock down, but if the ref doesn’t pick it up, then fair play to them.
Come on you moaners: get behind your team in difficult times and not just the good ones.
Well said, and spot on.
Bristol Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bristol Tiger »

Coleshillad wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:06 pm
Ian Cant wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:54 pm As I have said before, watch other games, all teams do.Ford was brilliant and Barnes stops the watch on any occasion he sees players trying to run it down. If you watched the Exeter v Wasps game today, Wasps knew their ref wasn’t going to stop the game like Barnes and there were lots of times they managed to run down time before Sir stopped the clock . Well done them! Have we all forgotten “The Hand Of Back,” and the great reaction from Munster: “ If one of our players had managed to do that we’d have made him Mayor! “
Well said, and spot on.
x3 :smt001
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Looks like I need to go off the grid a few more times this season! 😂
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yeah JP no more games for you this season! :smt005
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

BFG wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:05 pm Time wasting has gone on forever, whatever suits in the moment.
It could though be just one reason amongst a list of many for Tigers falling behind the top sides.
There are sides who are better with the ball more in play and sides that are better not so.
I personally did not like what Fordy did, I think it was not within the spirit of the game, but the bottom line is, it is the laws that are wrong not him.

if it means we stay up i can live with it, but George PLEASE do not make it a habit
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
johns12

Post by johns12 »

After Newcastle’s third try , Talakalua took 100 seconds before he ‘started’ his approach to the ball.
Should the conversion attempt have been stopped?
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I did not think that George was right to waste time with that conversion as with about 10 minutes to go I felt we may need those seconds at the end of the match, we didn't so he was not wrong on the day. Players have always wasted time when they felt it was advantageous to their cause, injured front row player, need to re-set the scum delay at a lineout etc, few have been as blatant as Fordy and Weir of Worcester. I don't like it but I really liked the win and will be quite happy to see the same ploy secure victories over our three remaining opponents.