Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Newcastle - 12th April 2019

Post by sam16111986 »

drc_007 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:22 am
mol2 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:54 am Can’t figure out the scrum penalty at the end. Cole stayed up and kept his bind.
Mulipola went down when he lost his bind. Tigers penalty surely.
Looked that way to me as well.
Mulipola went forward and down. Lost his feet but because of his weight and hit forced Cole back. Looked like Cole was potentially hinging in real time. Cole had a wry smile afterwards which made me thought he appreciated the way Mulipola had bought the penalty. Logo had nothing to lose at that point so made sense to try and buy the penalty quickly as opposed to give Cole a chance to set after the hit and put his trademark second shunt on.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:27 am
mol2 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:54 am Can’t figure out the scrum penalty at the end. Cole stayed up and kept his bind.
Mulipola went forward and down. Lost his feet but because of his weight and hit forced Cole back. Looked like Cole was potentially hinging in real time. Cole had a wry smile afterwards which made me thought he appreciated the way Mulipola had bought the penalty. Logo had nothing to lose at that point so made sense to try and buy the penalty quickly as opposed to give Cole a chance to set after the hit and put his trademark second shunt on.
Was always a penalty to Cole. However the scrum is always a lottery whenever a player goes down.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Gritty performance by the team last night.

Yes we gave away a couple of silly tries, but overall the defence was better and the commitment was certainly there.

Standout performance by Thomo. Good performances by Ford, Toomua, Spencer and Fitzgerald. But all played better, even Williams!

I'm much more confident we'll win the last two home games now, and stay up.

If Newcastle go down please can we sign Hammersley (their full back) and Wilson?!!
Soggypitch
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

The way I saw it was Logo angled in and took Dan with him - Tiger scrum penalty - game over.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Soggypitch wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:46 am Gritty performance by the team last night.

Yes we gave away a couple of silly tries, but overall the defence was better and the commitment was certainly there.

Standout performance by Thomo. Good performances by Ford, Toomua, Spencer and Fitzgerald. But all played better, even Williams!

I'm much more confident we'll win the last two home games now, and stay up.

If Newcastle go down please can we sign Hammersley (their full back) and Wilson?!!
The worrying thing for me is how easily the Tigers got disrupted following the Falcons first try? Given their dominance in the first 30 mins it appeared to me that a bit of panic set in? The territorial game plan was excellent by both GF and MT. BOC was brilliant when he came on, a real pain at the breakdown :smt027 :smt027
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Given results this year it is not surprising that we were a little anxious after they scored but at the end the team dug in and toughed it out. Great nerve and a good performance by all. George Ford and Guy Thompson co-captains. Yes indeed.
I'm not cynical just experienced
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:36 am
sam16111986 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:27 am

Was always a penalty to Cole. However the scrum is always a lottery whenever a player goes down.
Oh I agree. Just saying how Mulipola managed to bag the decision.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

I've read that Tuilagi went off injured. Do we have any details yet?
Semper in excretia
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Robespierre wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:58 am I've read that Tuilagi went off injured. Do we have any details yet?
Haven't seen anything yet but he had a huge ice pack on his left thigh when walking around after the match.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:11 pm
Robespierre wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:58 am I've read that Tuilagi went off injured. Do we have any details yet?
Haven't seen anything yet but he had a huge ice pack on his left thigh when walking around after the match.
They said tweaked hamstring at the time, pulled up when covering across late on.

1 week of full rest and care, then see if another week is enough to be available for Brizzle at home.

He might not have been spectacular last night but he's still worth a spot if fit.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

To be honest re Manu, I would rather have Ford at 10 for England with Farrell at 12 and Slade at 13. Until Manu learns to side step, which will be never, all the top teams have his method of attack covered. And in the same parallel, its the same with us....
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Too much guile not enough power. 3 playmakers is too much at international level imo.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

If you get 5 minutes,skim through this absolute drivel. You might have to bite your tongue though!
https://disqus.com/home/channel/dtrugby ... ho/newest/
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:14 pm
Cagey Tiger wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:11 pm
They said tweaked hamstring at the time, pulled up when covering across late on.

1 week of full rest and care, then see if another week is enough to be available for Brizzle at home.

He might not have been spectacular last night but he's still worth a spot if fit.
He was walking round and looked fairly mobile with the ice strapping at the end of the game. If it was serious I imagine he’d have been limping heavily or not walking around at all.

A game that ebbed and flowed and as usual, due to individual errors we let a comfortable lead go and ended up in an arm wrestle.

The win is the only important thing though so job done, onto the next
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Nothing too dramatic in that drivel Scott.
A very poor Falcons start and an inspired Thompson performance got the job done.
I thought that when they eventually got going the a Falcons front row carrying was decent and Genge apart made Leicester look pretty weak in this area.
Opposition backs are clearly encouraged to get their heads up from deep and look for less mobile defensive mismatches.
Disappointed by Olowafela, he is a defensive liability in my opinion.
Close game, the table doesn't lie.