Tigers v Newcastle - 12th April 2019

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Newcastle - 12th April 2019

Post by Scott1 »

Thanks scuttle,hope you had a great night!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Robespierre wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:42 amSounds as if the match was a real bumclencher towards the end!!
It was and Falcons were really pressing, bit like last season at Welford Rd, just didn't have Luke Pearce (IIRC) forgetting that he'd blown his whistle..... :smt002 :smt002
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Scuttle wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:48 pmIt doesn't sit too well with me either but it is within the law. So the law needs changing to shorten the time limit because 90 seconds is far too long. We see this fairly frequently and it isn't good just watching the kicker stand around and it won't be the last time; if a conversion with the clock on 78 mins 40 secs in the last match of the season keeps Newcastle up you can be sure they will take the full 90 secs.
Damned right they will and good luck to them.

Agree about reducing the time, make it 30 seconds and also be clear that any foot/leg movement from the kicker - including a twitchy Elvis right peg - frees up the defenders to charge the kick. :smt003
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I'm not griping. We needed that, and I sank some alcohol last night in celebration. Only cloud is injuries, we need Hardwick and Smith and Sarto in there now. :smt026
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Much needed win and the relief ! Oscar worthy performance from Flood, down like shot after what was nothing more than a nudge from Genge....pathetic and could have cost us the game. Barnes fell for it. Also the ruck before May disallowed try, Falcons infringing, Barnes looks like he’s going to award a penalty but decides against it. When you’re struggling the decisions just don’t go with you. Noticeable that crowds are appealing for every tackle that looks remotely high. I don’t like it. Having said that, some excellent performances, notably from Thompson, Williams and Kerr. Big win given we may not have a centres come Bristol.

A lot of disappointed fans of other teams.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Crivvens wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:29 pm
G.K wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:56 pm
BigDan50 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:53 pm I have been watching the game with a time lapse, I thought George Fords behaviour was awful when taking the conversation, I've always believed that Tigers played the game in the spirit of the game, maybe we have sunk to the depths of Saracens, we are what we think we are in the spirit of rugby, a sad day for my club, down there with the cheating of Neil Back.
Absolutely agree, just sums up Tigers negative, defeatist attitude. I hope a sanction is forthcoming. :smt009
Ridiculous post. Sanctioned for what, game management?? Considering he was talking to the ref the whole time I'm not sure what he did that was so wrong... :smt017

I thought we played really well in the first half, without the reward we deserved. Falcons had two breaks into our 22 in the first half and came away with two tries. I was fearing the worst at half time. Slugged it out in the second half brilliantly. I'm just glad we got the win without having to go into three must-win games without our 4 first choice fullback as well as Manu and possibly Eastmond and Owen missing.

Ford and Thompson were magnificent. Toomua really stood up too, and May was his usually deadly self. Kerr should be first choice hooker next season
Totally agree. Just maybe with hindsight the taking of the full 90 sec has kept us in the Prem - maybe that last ditch defensive effort would not have been successful if it had a further minute to be endured. Ford did the hard nosed thing and ran the clock down as much as he could in order to win the game - it is called "game management". It is a totally different argument re 60 sec or 90 sec or 45 sec or ????

I thought the only real weakness was in the centres - Owen confirmed IMHO that he is not worth keeping or selecting, Olowofela is certainly worth keeping but not ready just yet - don't doubt he is a promising prospect. I thought Williams so great commitment and worked hard as did most of the pack - back row picks in 2 weeks time should be interesting.

I would ask the question re some recent signings - why have we signed them? We are playing them only in the 2nd team games when we do have other options available in those games. I can only assume Sarto is not fit and they do not want to risk Blommetjies just yet.
Hehehehehehehehe
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Can only think we are going to play them once we are mathematically safe re signings trendy. Are you playing Superbru this season,I believe both you and me were top 10 in the world last year.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

"I thought Williams so great commitment and worked hard as did most of the pack - back row picks in 2 weeks time"

I thought Williams played well for the first 30 mins but I don't recall much positive in the second half.

Match stats are here

http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/playerstats ... gue=267979
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Outstanding effort from Fitzgerald and Kitchener in defence. I really like Fitzgerald ,I would keep him.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Just back after two weeks abroad to discover MF has joined the coaching staff and we’ve remembered how to win! I thought Thompson’s performance was immense, and Ford was not far behind. Well done. Hoping we can build on this for remaining weeks. But that defence leaked tries...and I hope Manu hasn’t been added to the list of walking wounded
willip

Post by willip »

I think Spencer was also immense. I know he dropped a ball in the line out but some of his defensive was awesome.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Any news on Manu?
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Thompson was head and shoulders above everyone else on the field, immense performance and good leadership.

Thought Spencer was really good too. Strong carries and dominant tackles. One poor drop in the lineout aside he was great. Same with Fitzgerald with his defensive effort. Dynamic changed completely when BOC came on and he swung the momentum in our favour with some crucial turnovers. Him and Wells to come into the starting XV.

Williams was massive in the first 30 minutes. Was then awful after that with stupid errors and penalties. Personally didn’t think much of Kitchener and Owen was the worst player on the pitch. Can’t say they will be missed.

Ford was also great in the backs and we needed his control. Obviously cares for the club. Don’t get why people were moaning about the conversion, Carter did something similar against England at Twickenham and everyone said how the All Blacks played to the law to win any way possible.

Side note, no idea why White did that cross field kick. Surely we would have scored it we just passed it through the hands.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:19 am Any news on Manu?
Beat me to that one. I was hopeful as he was pulled of early and we have a rest week next week.

Must admit to feeling a little shabby this morning. Off to the supermarket for fresh Remy supplies!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:53 am Can only think we are going to play them once we are mathematically safe re signings trendy. Are you playing Superbru this season,I believe both you and me were top 10 in the world last year.
Yep but not doing too well this year
Hehehehehehehehe