Folau

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Folau

Post by Traveller »

I'm surprised that using Instagram isn't the devil's work. Amazes me how some people devoted so much of their own lives instructing other people how to conduct their own lives.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

He got a yellow card 12 months ago, so no excuse.
Heard an interesting interview on Radio 5 earlier with Peter Fitzsimmons, he had an interesting view on it all.
As an employee of the ARU he is bound by their code of conduct I presume.
Yes his views are shared by many but that doesn't make it right, there was no need for him to broadcast to all & sundry.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Please could we stick to talking about rugby. The forum is a platform for rugby discussions rather political / religious views.
Folau has made some comment on social media and has suffered the consequences. The topic is around Folau.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Louis

Post by Louis »

1) Mr Folau is possibly just about a better rugby player than I was. Maybe.

2) Mr Folau has expressed the view that atheists will go to hell. I, as an atheist*, am of course remarkably sceptical of this claim as any description of hell developed by humanity to date violates the second law of thermodynamics. And is therefore wrong.

See also: ghosts don't exist because fridges do.

*Except perhaps about 20 mins before full time at a Tigers match when the need for a remarkable second half come back is needed. Then I convert to all world religions temporarily as I am a betting man and am loath to lose the £20 I've stuck on Tigers as a totally unwarranted act of overly optimistic faith. I therefore reason that believing in things that are demonstrably untrue and abject drivel is a vastly lower degree of faith than believing Tigers will turn it around.
Goshengareth

Post by Goshengareth »

Thx Tigerbeat. Interesting that in the past I’ve had a post deleted for a minor comment whereas it seems here some posters can fall over themselves about how much they sympathize with someone who says homosexuals should go to hell. I’m pretty sure the club would not approve of such messages on its message board.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

I would defend free speech every day, except when inciting violence. But just because something is not illegal, does not make it right and very possibly the person's employer will take a very different view to any Court.

So quite rightly in this case Folau will lose his job, he has plenty of previous, and can't say he wasn't warned. Sad because a brilliant rugby player and all he had to do was keep his views out of the public domain. As he can't do that he must take the consequences.
Soggypitch
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

He's entitled to hold his own views and express them even if I disagree with them. I sometimes wonder if the cosseted world of professional sport allows some people to extend their adolescence.

Whatever your views, if a player signs up to a code of conduct and breaches it then those that employ him may feel forced to act.
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

The easily offended brigade try to censor free speech, they forget that free speach alows us to hear what idiots say and to mark down that the person is a idiot, curb free speech and the idiots remain hidden, banning all idiots from Rugby will leave a lot of teamsheets underpopulated!

Why anyone listens to anything a sports-person says is beyond me!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

BengalTiger wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:57 am The easily offended brigade try to censor free speech, they forget that free speach alows us to hear what idiots say and to mark down that the person is a idiot, curb free speech and the idiots remain hidden, banning all idiots from Rugby will leave a lot of teamsheets underpopulated!

Why anyone listens to anything a sports-person says is beyond me!
Free speech is censored by tyrants, not the easily offended. Folau had been warned by his employer, got sacked. That's what actually happened.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

Free speech is censored by tyrants, not the easily offended. Folau had been warned by his employer, got sacked. That's what actually happened.

You are partialy correct, tryants is an expression open to interpretation

I think the easily offended brigate are also tyrants though petty tyrants fit them better (perhaps petty in both senses of the word)
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Interesting that B Vunipola also liked the comment. Here for me is the problem, I no way agree with the post as an atheist myself. I can see how many people would be offended and rightly so.

However, one does have the right to freedom of expression, speech and religion or so we are told. Folau expressed an opinion, one which we might not agree with, but surely he has the right to say what he believes. Therefore no way should he be sacked or his contract terminated.

One could argue that the contractual obligations placed upon him by his employer are oppressive in forcing him to act in a way contrary to what he believes.
Last edited by Leicestertinytiger on Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Posts being took down with nothing wrong with them?! Certainly nothing wrong with mine! I suggest just pulling the thread completely.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Goshengareth

Post by Goshengareth »

Let’s be clear. There is no such thing as pure free speech. We have libel laws, we have incitement to racial hatred laws, we have anti discrimination laws. Religious background does not give anyone an opt out.

The idea that his employment terms are draconian is nonsense. Good luck saying what he does when you are in your work place.

Apparently I’m easily offended for highlighting what a vile thing it is to condemn someone to hell for their sexuality. I’m beginning to understand how Andrew Bridgen got elected.
Goshengareth

Post by Goshengareth »

Agree with Scott.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Regardless of what you think about what he's done it will be very interesting to see where his career goes now, Union and League in Aus are already ruled out as is Toulon, options are disappearing quickly