Toomua

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: Toomua

Post by LE18 »

What a great shame we are losing a guy who came to us showing great skills which everyone recognised at first as being a brilliant signing.
He still seems to have most of those skills but what has really happened to him? is it all down to the Aussies selecting him and this has turned his head?
I thought that he would do well for us last week as an emergency FB, and for part he did, but those 2 missed tackles in particular where a man simply ran past him with the touchline as a backup simply staggered me!
If it is postings on other media that have upset him then I can understand his reasoning.
Very sad to me how this extremely talented player's career with us is turning out. I believe we must pick him, he can be a match winner for us and goodness knows how badly we need a win. Come on folks, give him some slack, we do need him so please get behind him.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

teds wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:15 pm
Traveller wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:13 pm Toomua released himself in September. The worst 'marquee' signing in premiership history. Not his talent. His commitment t to the cause. Shameless.
In premiership history? Seriously? He is not even the worst marquee signing in his position at his club.
Have you forgotten the highly forgettable DeVilliers?
Jean De Villiers wasn’t marquee as far as I’m aware and whilst spent a lot of the time injured, in the matches he did play he played very well and I am told had a huge impact behind the scenes.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

JP14 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:56 pm
Traveller wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:13 pm Toomua released himself in September. The worst 'marquee' signing in premiership history. Not his talent. His commitment t to the cause. Shameless.
In premiership history? Seriously? He is not even the worst marquee signing in his position at his club.
Jean De Villiers wasn’t marquee as far as I’m aware and whilst spent a lot of the time injured, in the matches he did play he played very well and I am told had a huge impact behind the scenes.
His impact doesn't seem to have done us any good, was it the cause of our problems?
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

De Villiers wasn't a Marquee signing. He arrived recovering from jury. Spent half his time with us broken and in bits, but always gave his absolute all. Unlike this dilettante. His opening missed tackle against Exeter, which lead directly to a try summed Toomua's overall contribution up.

I do agree though. I was delighted when we signed him, but it makes you question whether or not marquee signings are worth it. Do they really help build team cohesiveness which is what it is all about.
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

JP14 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:56 pm
I am not sure Tigers ever disclose who their marquee players are, but the rugby paper at the time described his imminent signing as “Leicester’s second marquee signing”. The point though is moot. He was a big name at a high cost, who came in and then made no contribution, positive or negative for Tigers. He played just two games before it was announced he was to be replaced by a certain Mr. Matt Toomua.
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Traveller wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:18 pm De Villiers wasn't a Marquee signing. He arrived recovering from jury. Spent half his time with us broken and in bits, but always gave his absolute all. Unlike this dilettante. His opening missed tackle against Exeter, which lead directly to a try summed Toomua's overall contribution up.

I do agree though. I was delighted when we signed him, but it makes you question whether or not marquee signings are worth it. Do they really help build team cohesiveness which is what it is all about.
Toomua’s one missed tackle looked very poor, it may be down to a momentary loss of concentration or possibly an injury, or possibly an unwillingness to put his bod on the line. But overall I think we need to give him the benefit of the doubt as he has tackled well for a Tigers. Hope he gets the chance to put it right on a Friday night.

As to the general point, what Sarries and Exeter have is a simple system into which any big names have to fit. We simply haven’t had a system for our marquee players like a Toomua to fit into.
NONAME
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by NONAME »

I'm sure a fully fit Toomua would excel like he did when he first arrived. Its pretty obvious he is carrying an injury. The same is true of a few other players. Lack of depth is a problem but we have had some great players come through from the Academy over the last couple of years. In a year or two I'm sure we will back challenging for honours irrespective who is Director of Rugby.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

NONAME wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:55 pmI'm sure a fully fit Toomua would excel like he did when he first arrived.
Errrm, didn't he get injured in his 2nd run out (1st home game) for us and spend most of that season out? :smt017 :smt002

Not a dig at the player as I'm a fan, just not sure you would call that 'excelling' :smt002
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

NONAME wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:55 pm I'm sure a fully fit Toomua would excel like he did when he first arrived. Its pretty obvious he is carrying an injury. The same is true of a few other players. Lack of depth is a problem but we have had some great players come through from the Academy over the last couple of years. In a year or two I'm sure we will back challenging for honours irrespective who is Director of Rugby.
I think the injury point is a critical point. As we have got a smaller squad with more of those guys out on a return to play protocol for concussion, this has to mean the rest of the squad players are under more pressure to play through their “bumps and bruises”.

I think also the punishment for a high hit (usually 3 weeks doubled to six if you play for Tigers) may cause a moment of hesitation in some tackle situations. IIRC Toomua was pretty upright when he missed that tackle, he may have realised he was about to hit Woodburn high, his shoulders didn’t look right either which makes me wonder if he was protecting his right shoulder a little.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Assuming the rumour is true here is what I would do. I would sit him down and say simply you are playing in the centre on Friday - go out and help us win the game and you can go on Sat morning - if we lose you will have to stay until our premiership status is secure.
Hehehehehehehehe
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

trendylfj wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:29 pm Assuming the rumour is true here is what I would do. I would sit him down and say simply you are playing in the centre on Friday - go out and help us win the game and you can go on Sat morning - if we lose you will have to stay until our premiership status is secure.
Like!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I think personally the forum have treated Toomua like a sack of :censored, people have no sense of the wider world outside of Welford Road, however his form has been very misfiring and it’s obvious his heart is back home, I thought he would do a Burns and leave Leicester on a high. However it is the very opposite.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

It seems a great pity that his legacy will forever be tainted if he leaves now, or if we go down .

However, if selected, he has it within his own head to show us ll what he can do.
I agree, sit him down, say, you can go as long as we win on Friday, and then its up to you whether you want to see the season out..
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

johnthegriff wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:08 am If true maybe the abuse he received on twitter from moronic so called Tiger's fans played a part.
Let's hope it's not true and I believe it would be out of character. I have commented on the social media thread re the abuse which is truly disgusting, I just hope they can identify the perpetrators, we don't need them as Tigers fans.

Matt - just remember the vast majority of fans would never stoop so low, and whilst it is not good to miss crucial tackles, we know you are trying your best to keep Tigers up and please help to do just that in the next 4 crucial matches, don't let the idiots win.
Soggypitch
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Based on my perception of matt’s character I would be very surprised if he had asked to leave whilst we are in the middle of a relegation fight. I believe he is a very honourable man who is probably very disappointed about his poor form and would want to leave us with the fans respect.
A2O