Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Dear Murphs

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

POSTIGER wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:38 am
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:56 pm Murphy was a big part of the coaching set up that was failing, it was a cheap lazy appointment
Simple as this. Spot on. We're now reaping the 'rewards' of such a blatantly flawed appointment.
Sad but true. Nothing wrong with making him caretaker until the end of the season when more options will be available to the club. His record is awful and will probably be moved on anyway so making him permanent head coach will just means we’ll have to pay out.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Wasn't he given the job full-time with a 1/8 record too? Apparently we've lost 21 of the last 28 games! Disgraceful by any standards
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Apparently he is building a squad and "Some top players " are to be announced when their clubs see fit to announce or the time is right for them to be announced.
If we are relegated to Championship do these players still come? Some clause for Prem Rugby?
Do we give the bloke a chance with the squad he is building?
He can't be entirely blamed for poor attitude from those wishing to depart. Nor those who do not see his vision.

Interesting times ........ I would not like to throw the baby out with the bath water..
Was the appointment the right one????
Who else was available. Who else Is available? :smt010 :smt010
GeoffNeil

Post by GeoffNeil »

It is with great sadness that I have to agree Geordan (Along with others) are not up to the job, if he/they were then by now after nearly a full season we would at least be seeing some improvement, not in top 4 or 6 but enough to know the team are better than the bottom 3. Unfortunately the performances just keep getting worse and worse and the team are careering headlong into relegation. I would be happy to be proved wrong but I don't think I will be.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

No way should we sack Murphy now.

Everyone complains about the way the game is going. We need to show loyalty and trust here.

Even if we get relegated.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Loyalty is one thing but loyalty can be a problem if the leader is unwittingly leading you off the edge of a cliff.

How many seasons do you leave your coaching staff to learn their trade when we are languishing in a lower division.
Aside from Ford senior none have real coaching experience at the top level. Their experience is within the confines of Tigers who have lacked a coaching strategy for many years.

It's a bit like getting school leavers to teach the sixth form. In reality they need to go away to university and learn to teach before being put in charge of the curriculum.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

mol2 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:25 pm Loyalty is one thing but loyalty can be a problem if the leader is unwittingly leading you off the edge of a cliff.
Question is which leader are we talking about - Tom, Cohen, Murphy...?
mol2 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:25 pmAside from Ford senior none have real coaching experience at the top level.
What about Blake and Bakewell?
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

ourla wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:10 pm No way should we sack Murphy now.

Everyone complains about the way the game is going. We need to show loyalty and trust here.

I'm afraid I have to disagree, I love the man as much as the rest of you do but nothing about his coaching career so far suggests he's ready for this level. It's not his fault he's been over-promoted but over-promoted he is and there's no practical justification for allowing the station to continue.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Murphy in my mind would make a good DOR. He knows the club and has a good overall vision of the squad and bringing through young players from the academy into the first team set up.

However, he lacks the technical skill set to be a good coach. He failed as a skills coach and the record speaks for itself as head coach. We desperately need an experienced coaching set up who will actually improve players.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

As I have previously stated, poor "Murphs" was thrown to the lions by the BOD, There is no question about that. They panicked and took a massive gamble, which has backfired completely.

Is there no logical thought in the BOD office? No there certainly is not. All they do is clutch at straws and hope for the best, and that is not the way to take us, or any other business forward. . It beggars belief that the board has been so naïve as to let this situation occur.

Now all we can do as fans, is to get behind the players. Hang on though, we have been doing that during games all season and even that has had no bearing on improving the results, Once again, you have done your best to turn things around "Murphs" the blame is not yours. You have obviously done your utmost to change the downward slide. The blame does not lie at your door.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Murphy had choices, he then chose to take on the role of reviving Tigers, that was HIS choice and not the BOD's who only 'offered' him the job, therefore responsibility ultimately lies at his feet. Everyone has choices.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

ourla wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:10 pm No way should we sack Murphy now.

Loyalty and trust will never get us back to the top of the premiership and we should not reward failure. Time has come to finally appoint that world class DOR.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Dangerous4 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:28 pm As I have previously stated, poor "Murphs" was thrown to the lions by the BOD, There is no question about that. They panicked and took a massive gamble, which has backfired completely.

Is there no logical thought in the BOD office? No there certainly is not. All they do is clutch at straws and hope for the best, and that is not the way to take us, or any other business forward. . It beggars belief that the board has been so naïve as to let this situation occur.

Now all we can do as fans, is to get behind the players. Hang on though, we have been doing that during games all season and even that has had no bearing on improving the results, Once again, you have done your best to turn things around "Murphs" the blame is not yours. You have obviously done your utmost to change the downward slide. The blame does not lie at your door.
I am sorry but Murphy happily took the job that he was being groomed for and did so with no experience and success coaching at this level. To say he was thrown to the lions by the BOD and to say he is blameless is laughable.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:19 pm Murphy in my mind would make a good DOR. He knows the club and has a good overall vision of the squad and bringing through young players from the academy into the first team set up.

However, he lacks the technical skill set to be a good coach. He failed as a skills coach and the record speaks for itself as head coach. We desperately need an experienced coaching set up who will actually improve players.
When Mike Ford was interviewed recently he seemed pretty clear he did not want a top job (for me that means DoR) but was happy to be back in the Premiership again and would like an on field/hands on coaching job; I think he even said he would like to stay at Tigers but I may have misinterpreted that. Maybe the plan is GM DoR and MF Head Coach next year?
As Good As It Gets
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Scuttle wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:43 pm Maybe the plan is GM DoR and MF Head Coach next year?

Heavens to Betsy I hope not, I want to watch good rugby not just less awful.