Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Positives

Post by Crofty »

strawclearer wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:20 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:28 pm Wuss will beat Sale imo
Look - we've tried everything else! Let's give my blind optimism a chance! :smt100
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

Only because I couldn't turn down the option to quote General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett.

Baaaah
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Certainly the front row, Johnny May, and George Ford are doing their job, but the rest look pretty censored awful. Even Manu looks very ordinary right now.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Unusually for me I am really struggling for optimism. I mean a fit Manu should have been a positive but I heard he wasn't great on Saturday. When Genge came back it was meant to be a positive but how many games have we won since he came back.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

ourla wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:44 pm Unusually for me I am really struggling for optimism. I mean a fit Manu should have been a positive but I heard he wasn't great on Saturday. When Genge came back it was meant to be a positive but how many games have we won since he came back.
I think Manu looked like he was trying for a blockbuster hit in defence to get the crowd and our team bouncing....didn't work. Edit: forgot his try saving tackle that Scott mentioned...he never stopped trying.
In attack he was either given or took the ball at an almost standstill most times...when he didn't Chiefs had 2 or 3 straight on him.
He was seen to be directing defence...got ignored...chiefs scored (cordero try).

I think it just highlighted that we're a group of individuals hoping for a solo star moment to lift us a bit.
Last edited by WhitecapTiger on Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Can't blame those two ourla,Manu has always jumped out the line and never got any good ball but one last ditch tackle with one arm which most other players in world rugby would struggle to pull off showed his passion for the cause. Genge wasn't poor either ,he actually had a go at our captain for not getting up quick enough after a tackle!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Positives...Positives???

Leics CCC are top of their league!

(...and, yes, I know - in Division 2 after one game!)
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
brooksey845

Post by brooksey845 »

George Ford played out of his skin IMO! We have missed the creative spark of T Veianu at FB he gives us broken field threat. Tomoua at FB is a no go.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:50 pm Can't blame those two ourla,Manu has always jumped out the line and never got any good ball but one last ditch tackle with one arm which most other players in world rugby would struggle to pull off showed his passion for the cause. Genge wasn't poor either ,he actually had a go at our captain for not getting up quick enough after a tackle!
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I wasn't as such blaming those two. It was more that when we've looked for positives this season, they just don't seem to come to fruition. Players come back from injury and for whatever reason (not necessarily theirs) things don't seem to improve. We get new coaches in (Blake) and things seem to improve a bit in that area but we seem to still end up the losing side. I don't want to be negative and I wasn't expecting us to beat Exeter. Sometimes it's the manner of the defeat, sometimes we play OK and still don't win. Anyhow... I'll try and keep my chin up. And let's hope we can do the biz against Falcons and at least put relegation thoughts to bed.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Do the positives out weigh the negatives?
On the subject of Ford his recent form, has proved to me, he has to be team captain from next season.
He at least talks all game long and leads by example. This would take pressure off TY.

Our biggest negative is One on One tackling and how many missed tackles have cost us..We have been poor season on season.
There are a few exceptions which have saved tries Tate comes to mind and Ford.We hit too high.
Is this because of an aging pack - younger players seem to hit lower - throughout the leagues.

One negative we cannot control - referee interpretation or lack of.
We don;t react quickly enough from the whistle to Sirs culture.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

I've heard a lot talk of simplifying the game plan but at the stage of the season that should be nailed down and you should be actually expanding your game plan or plans. We used to be known for coming good at the business end of the season and that wasn't down to a simple game plan. Or if it was it was down to that game plan being executed with near 100% accuracy.

I think what the coaches should do is to tell the players that they trust them, that they have to take the responsibility, to not try to hard or force things but to concentrate on just doing their jobs and executing well, whether that be set piece, tackling, running the attack, kicking or finishing in the red zone. Friday is a great opportunity and not something to be feared. It's not a hostile environment. Newcastle will have the jitters as much as we do.
TigerS2
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerS2 »

Baz wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:13 pm So Cohen thinks we should "get behind the boys"? Too many people parrot this phrase; what the hell does it actually mean? We all pay for our season tickets, we all cheer on "the boys", even when they're being humiliated. The Cohens of this world are the ones letting the boys down. Insofar as sackings at this stage would do no good, he's right, but, come the end of the season, up or down, there need to be drastic changes at the top. I STILL don't believe that GM is the man to drag Tigers out of the mire; for me, some of his team selections, and off-the-bench fieldings have been inappropriate, even allowing for the injuries we have sustained. Things have just continued to get worse since he was confirmed. As for Cohen, his complacency is staggering!
So it’s the supporters fault now is it, as well as the players’ “mentality”?
How can Cohen make the players take the blame for the long term deterioration of this great club, that is so cruel. Imagine how they are feeling now, and imagine how they’ll feel if we get relegated. The players who will remain at the tigers, and those who love this club, will feel gutted and may feel they’ve let their team and supporters down. Cohen and Co, should take responsibility. Tigers tag.line being Tigers family. They should act like it and help the players.