Clarification please.........and a few thoughts on yesterday

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BromsgroveTiger

Clarification please.........and a few thoughts on yesterday

Post by BromsgroveTiger »

There seems to be an acceptance by referees this season that as soon as the tackler has released the tackled player (i.e. even before they’ve rolled away) it’s OK for their colleagues to pile on top and prevent the ball being released with little attempt to support their own weight.

Surely they are ‘off feet’ or am I missing something ?? Exeter won at least 2 penalties yesterday on this basis.

This isn’t an excuse for yesterday as Exeter demonstrated admirably the style of play which is required in the modern game with bags of composure, lightning speed and width in the backs, a pack that operated like a machine and a great awareness of how to ‘play’ the referee.

Like Saracens, they’re patient, wait for the other team to make mistakes and then go for the jugular.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Clarification please.........and a few thoughts on yesterday

Post by wellstiger »

Agreed also need clarification on off side rule or lack of.

I cannot see a clear contest when certain teams are doglegging the defensive line completely off side. This is classed as rushed defense being quick off the line - NO at times ITS OFFSIDE.

Yesterday was a clear example - ref warns one team and the other gets away constantly. No input from lines person nor TMO.
Please clarify how the attacking team get a fair advantage. :smt013 :smt013 :smt013
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

Simply, rucks no longer exist; the laws say that once one is formed, players must be on their feet and head and shoulders must be above the hips...and no hands unless first there....so 'jackaling' is mostly illegal.
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I believe the overall standard of refereeing this season, leaves a lot to be desired.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

And how ironic that the only Chiefs player who rolled away in the game happened too be involved in a red card incident. Chiefs are up there with Leinster,Ireland and McCaws New Zealand in their breakdown tactics,but they are getting away with it so hey ho.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

But refereeing to the laws of the game would ruin the 'spectacle'. Tis after all no longer just a game but an 'entertainment'
I'm not cynical just experienced
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

chewbacca wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:06 pm But refereeing to the laws of the game would ruin the 'spectacle'. Tis after all no longer just a game but an 'entertainment'

I am honesty starting to go off Rugby and its not us being pants, its the none reffing of the game

TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

daktari wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:53 am
chewbacca wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:06 pm But refereeing to the laws of the game would ruin the 'spectacle'. Tis after all no longer just a game but an 'entertainment'

I am honesty starting to go off Rugby and its not us being pants, its the none reffing of the game
Glad I'm not the only one.

The amount of knock ons that go 'ignored', rucks that are a free for all until someone gets hurt, the 6 second rule that only comes into play once in a blue moon, the players that wave imaginary cards, it's getting worse.

The quality of referees is also poor. They lack consistancy, and some of the positioning on the field leaves an awful lot to be desired. I remember when the Touch Judges were "promoted" to be "assistant referees," I swear they used to highlight a lot more than they do now. But its okay, theres a man in the box.

Even with the man in the box, Farrell is going to be my unfortunate example, but he gets away with more as it seems referees are reluctant to ping him. Not just him mind, but big name players.

The danger we have as Tigers fans is being accused of sour grapes. Has it always been this bad, but it just didn't grind our gears so much because we were getting the rub of the green?
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

TTRITH wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:37 am
daktari wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:53 am

The danger we have as Tigers fans is being accused of sour grapes. Has it always been this bad, but it just didn't grind our gears so much because we were getting the rub of the green?
I think the problem is there seems to have been a collective decision not to apply the laws, its not refs missing things, they must be able to see them, they choose not to enforce them.

BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

The first cause of ruck issues are ball carriers not releasing the ball, or being allowed to roll over and over, or being allowed to get up and go again when both legs were clearly grounded from the tackle.
The uncertainty over these things is making tacklers more nervous about releasing the tackled player and rolling away too early, and the rest is chaos.

Regarding Leicester, they have support line issues and have done for a while, probably a combination of a lack of continuity in recent times and a lack of good reading of the game, which will be confidence in some cases and just a lack of ability in others, but this has enhanced the need for players to desperately dive in and it has become a bad habit.
Youngs got red carded needlessly doing it and Cole left the defensive line short on numbers needlessly doing it on Saturday.
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

Would love to see a few rounds of the GP reffed by some of the Super 14 refs to prove the point - they are just of a completely different standard...
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

^100%
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

daktari wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:23 pm Simply, rucks no longer exist; the laws say that once one is formed, players must be on their feet and head and shoulders must be above the hips...and no hands unless first there....so 'jackaling' is mostly illegal.
You can't jackal once a ruck is formed so not illegal at a 'tackle'!
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

How many times do you see a scrum penalty after the team benefitting has fed the ball to the second row
or in other words, made the first offence? It happens time after time. The pill is required to be fed down the middle of the scrum so that both teams have a chance of hooking it. It is still a law and yet totally ignored. Even on forums such as this it is now rarely mentioned, yet it is the fundamental point of having a scrum. What is the point, we may as well step over the ball as they do in RL. The game is rapidly becoming a sick joke and the officials are the main culprits. Inconsistant, half blind numpties most of them.
A life long Tiger
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

DingDong wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:36 am
daktari wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:23 pm Simply, rucks no longer exist; the laws say that once one is formed, players must be on their feet and head and shoulders must be above the hips...and no hands unless first there....so 'jackaling' is mostly illegal.
You can't jackal once a ruck is formed so not illegal at a 'tackle'!
yes it fine at the tackle...but that's not what happens a lot of the time, some players comes in, leans across the players already flopping everywhere and gets away with.