Tigers v Chiefs

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tripeandonions
Tiger Cub

Re: Tigers v Chiefs

Post by tripeandonions »

Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:06 pm I guess it make the Newcastle game a must must win game. Loser goes down. I think we will turn them over and Bristol and Bath. Some positives from the game...except the score line, defence at times and lack of passion at times!
For that to happen, training early this week needs to include the players ripping into one another about their deficiencies and failings. Coaches should let it develop into punchups and then leave it to the players to sort it out themselves during the rest of the week. Let's see a team taking to the field on Friday that shows it all up.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

He has looked disinterested since he came back from international duty.
Whether it it was because he thought he should play fly half ahead of Ford or his mentally back in Australia I don’t know but clearly not at the races.
NONAME
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by NONAME »

Having watched the game live and the recorded version when I got home I was quite impressed with Exeter's ability to cheat at every breakdown, only penalised once...like my son said it might as well be Rugby League. Equally the failure of the officials to spot the offside, again except once and this may have had more to do with the crowd than the assistant referee was disappointing.

Far more disappointing was the fact that Tigers failed to react to the cheating and the failure of the ref to stop it and to do his job. Tom Youngs as captain spoke to the ref on numerous occasions and was getting wound up like the rest of the team. The result was a red card, was it deserved I don't think so. Their player was in a different position when Tom began his charge but as the player rolled away it was clear the contact area would be his shoulder/neck. I have seen many yellow cards given for high tackles when a player as ducked into the contact and often only a penalty given. What is the difference between a player ducking or a player rolling into a position where contact is 'illegal' due to his movement with the defender committed. Did anybody notice the numerous high tables and neck roles that were missed by the officials?

Playing wise, 3 Exeter tries came from individual errors and a fourth from ref error. A penalty restart from the half way...Slade was at least 3 meters in front of the mark when he took. The resultant (great kick) line out produced good ball and a well worked try but it should have never been.

Tigers created chances but whether lack of experience or confidence saw us fail to score on 3 occasions when it seemed easier to score than not. But isn't that been the case all season?

Exeter score most of their points in the final quarter so it is to Tigers credit that we kept them out.

Relegation...possible? Or are we too good to go down...NO! We need one win from our last 4 games, reason, because Worcester have a very difficult run in and I can't see them winning more than one game.

The future..irrespective of relegation or not we have some great young players at the club and providing they stay injury free and continue to progress we will do well. I see at least 3 maybe 4 future British Lions lets hope they remain Leicester Tigers.

Finally, remember who we were playing..Exeter who are top of the table for good reason. So if your a supporter of Tigers keep the faith and give them your support they need it. Sorry if I've bored you.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

ElmbridgeGlaws wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:45 pm Glaws fan in peace.

I wrote a long message but decided to delete it and give it to you all in short.

Glaws failed to stop the rot post Dean Ryan when they should have had a clear out. They invested heavily in the backs and neglected the forwards. Lack of funding and ambition and we have spent a long time in the lower table.
Ackerman is turning this around finally.

I think you need to look for a decent proven ex forward head coach (not associated with Leicester) and have a massive clear out of the team.
Bring through and trust the academy players and base the team round them, only bringing in experience to guide them.
I don’t know a lot about your board of directors but may be for the good of your club they should stand down.

You are all going to have settle in for the long haul as turning this around is going to take time.
Posh Richard has been saying just this to me for a while.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Big Dai wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:07 am
ElmbridgeGlaws wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:45 pm Glaws fan in peace.

I wrote a long message but decided to delete it and give it to you all in short.

Glaws failed to stop the rot post Dean Ryan when they should have had a clear out. They invested heavily in the backs and neglected the forwards. Lack of funding and ambition and we have spent a long time in the lower table.
Ackerman is turning this around finally.

I think you need to look for a decent proven ex forward head coach (not associated with Leicester) and have a massive clear out of the team.
Bring through and trust the academy players and base the team round them, only bringing in experience to guide them.
I don’t know a lot about your board of directors but may be for the good of your club they should stand down.

You are all going to have settle in for the long haul as turning this around is going to take time.
Posh Richard has been saying just this to me for a while.
Yes most of us knew this ages ago, it's the BoD that don't get it. They recruited MoC and then an apprentice.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
tigerssteve

Post by tigerssteve »

beech wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:11 pm It is quite unacceptable when the only player chasing a kick through is the hooker. When Chiefs broke through there were always 2 or 3 players upon support. Although the team showed more fight than in the game against Saints the tackling at times was appalling and for an Australian international to miss tackles which lead to tries and to give away two interception passes makes me wonder if his mind is back home waiting for the World Cup.
He's been gone for at least the last six games. Wants his :censored: kicking.
BromsgroveTiger

Post by BromsgroveTiger »

Very much approve of Exeter’s approach to the line out when they have put in.

No obligatory huddle followed by slow amble to opposition but instead there as soon as Tigers were ready demonstrating confidence and quick thinking.

I don’t recall them losing a single line out
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

To counter that though our defensive lineout was outstanding yesterday,the best it's been all season.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

BromsgroveTiger wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:37 pm I don’t recall them losing a single line out
No, but our maul defence was very good and we turned them over, I think, three times from their own lineout!
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I would never have believed that M.T. could continually play so badly. He simply puts no effort into his game, which is nothing short of dire.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

fentiger wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:41 pm
BromsgroveTiger wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:37 pm I don’t recall them losing a single line out
No, but our maul defence was very good and we turned them over, I think, three times from their own lineout!
yes to be fair I don't think their drove a maul to score all game, a rare plus point
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Yesterday there were rumours amongst some supporters that Wells is off to Quins! Was he injured so not available.
V Newcastle surely Kitchener will want to really perform because by us somehow winning it would put Worcester in a better position.
In my humble opinion Hardwick must play and Kerr now will.
Will Worth be fit, Simmons too!
Yesterday we had quite a few chances to score tries: this again is when you miss the defence and attacking nouse of Thomo and even Smithy.
Sadly injuries have once again negated how we can play.
Now watching Saints v Gloucester: Slater, Balmain, Twelvetrees all fit and yesterday Crane and Thacker put in a decent effort for Bristol.
Whatever happens for the rest of the season something has to be done about getting players fit. Yes, Youngs breasted by Jones like Genge and others from other clubs: just two or three of TV, Thomo, Denton, Bateman, Smith, Holmes,
Youngs, Worth being fit would help.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Wells going too,I hope not!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:22 pm Wells going too,I hope not!
ISTR he recently re-signed! :smt017
Flash

Post by Flash »

fentiger wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:23 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:22 pm Wells going too,I hope not!
ISTR he recently re-signed! :smt017
Our contracts don't appear to mean that much these days.