Genge in the Telegraph

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Genge in the Telegraph

Post by JP14 »

It really annoys me too JohntheGriff. I wouldn’t say Williams was bad recruitment, it was because of injuries and bad coaching he was played in the wrong position.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

BFG wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:12 pm The article was a particularly annoying reminder to me that in the current circumstances it might be pretty handy to still have Slater, McCaffery, Burns, Williams and Betham.
Sure they cost but are they more than G Ford, J Ford, Owen, Eastmond and May!
Add Cockers and you have a point
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Also in the Daily Wail, easier than behind the Telegraph wall.
- https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/artic ... rugby.html

- https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... Genge.html
Enjoy, we need to keep players like Gengie let him speak and tell the Board what is wrong and not lose him to Bristol. :smt114
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Agree with Genge, the academies all around England are private school focused mainly because it is the most cost effective, Schools hire ex players to coach, Schools give scholarships to best club players, ex players have links with Prem clubs etc etc.
And I'm not against picking players from private schools, but their is a lot of talent all over.

I would like to see some of the potential £18 million going into improving the local clubs scouting infrastructure, and also look at the athletics and football academies and seeing who has the raw talent but won't make their chosen sport.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

jgriffin wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:17 am
BFG wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:12 pm The article was a particularly annoying reminder to me that in the current circumstances it might be pretty handy to still have Slater, McCaffery, Burns, Williams and Betham.
Sure they cost but are they more than G Ford, J Ford, Owen, Eastmond and May!
Add Cockers and you have a point
Cockers was the guy in post when the rot set in. Unfortunate, and perhaps because of issues out of his control, but the club was on a decline well before he left.
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:02 am Agree with Genge, the academies all around England are private school focused mainly because it is the most cost effective, Schools hire ex players to coach, Schools give scholarships to best club players, ex players have links with Prem clubs etc etc.
And I'm not against picking players from private schools, but their is a lot of talent all over.

I would like to see some of the potential £18 million going into improving the local clubs scouting infrastructure, and also look at the athletics and football academies and seeing who has the raw talent but won't make their chosen sport.
Good call for the use of the money. IMHO the RFU could do much more to create a development structure for state schools. The issue in our local area is rugby is an extra-curricular activity, and so relies on an enthusiastic teacher running training after school. If that teacher moves on or gets a management role, the impetus is lost.
IMHO the local rugby development officers (assuming they haven't all gone in the recent redundancies at the RFU!) should be providing coaching support to state schools. Add a tie in to local accredited clubs and you might well have the bones of a development programme.

The RFU have done some work in this direction (they have developed teaching resources to help schools), but I wonder whether the will is really there to challenge the current culture.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Very interesting interview from Burns.

https://youtu.be/zvxoU1ayzrw

Hats off to the guy, seems a sound bloke who loved playing for the Tigers. Plus he played his best rugby of his career at Welford Road.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:35 pm Very interesting interview from Burns.

https://youtu.be/zvxoU1ayzrw

Hats off to the guy, seems a sound bloke who loved playing for the Tigers. Plus he played his best rugby of his career at Welford Road.
For me the moment when the spirit died.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

Plenty if name checks for Simon Cohen but no mention of Ged Glynn. Freddie says rugby has changed but Tigers seem to have been involved in the 2 biggest swaps. Betham, Petersen and McCathrey all discarded too. Who is leaking to JP Petersen?
Team cohesion seeems to be the cornerstone of team performance and we have undermined ourselves.
Interesting times 🤔
Scott1
Super User
Super User

The truth is out!!

Post by Scott1 »

"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: The truth is out!!

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Old news, I posted this a week ago!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45677&start=60
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

U19 squad, 50% private/independent school.
In English education, 7% taught outside what was the state school system (sport even worse with academy chains).
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

jgriffin wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:25 pm U19 squad, 50% private/independent school.
In English education, 7% taught outside what was the state school system (sport even worse with academy chains).
Private schools have professional sports teachers and have more sport periods per week, including Saturdays, state schools have mostly dual purpose teachers and probably only 1 double period a week.
I realise you work in state education and have a very big down on private schools. Hope you watched Maro on Rugby tonight, he showed how brilliantly educated guy he is!
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

jgriffin wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:25 pm U19 squad, 50% private/independent school.
The problem with that statistic is it's not unheard of for the good guys from what would typically be a state background to get sponsorship/scholarship to go into the private system.

I know two people who got into private school on full scholarships this way, and another that got about half of the fees paid. None of them could have afforded it in any other way.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Tiger_in_Birmingham wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:25 am
The problem with that statistic is it's not unheard of for the good guys from what would typically be a state background to get sponsorship/scholarship to go into the private system.

I know two people who got into private school on full scholarships this way, and another that got about half of the fees paid. None of them could have afforded it in any other way.
What the stats don't tell is that private education takes lads out of the real world into a bubble, and mentally conditions them with repetitive drills and playing instructions that destroys independent thinking, and attempts to physically condition them before they are even full grown.
I remember catching my lad cycling down the road with his front wheel in the air for a quarter of a mile, scuffles over the park playing footie etc, boundaries being pushed and the limits being explored.
My lad also had the opportunity to expand his sporting knowledge by taking part in other sports that a scholarship or a strict rugby only timetable won't allow.
I used to see private schoolboys fake injuries to get out of training sessions because they were bored, and I often recognise a similar boredom in the Premiership.