LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 6

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

happywomble

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 6

Post by happywomble »

English version (well, American) of Tomas Lavanini.

http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2019/0 ... -rwc-2019/

The article also states Pablo Matera to Stade :(
wbird4

Post by wbird4 »

With Phil Blake's contract running out at the end of the season, would people like to see him remain in his position as defence coach?

Personally, I haven't seen our defence improve since his arrival. He was released from Wasps last year after some poor defensive displays, including their semi-final loss to Saracens where they conceded 57 points. His first stint at Leicester also saw the two hammerings against Bath where we conceded +40 points on both occasions.

Therefore, I personally wouldn't renew his contract. David Ellis was linked with us earlier on in the season and I'd like to see us try and go for him again. He had great success with both France and New Zealand, but is currently coaching Kenilworth RFC.

In terms of the whole coaching structure, I'd be looking at:
DOR: Cheika/Edwards
Head Coach: Geordy
Skills/Attack: Ben Ryan
Defence: David Ellis
Scrum: Boris
Forwards: Bakewell
Development: Deacon

I think Ben Ryan would be looking at a bigger role such as DOR, but other than that, I think this would still be relatively realistic.

Any changes?
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I wouldn't want any coaching changes, maybe an addition of someone like Edwards and build the team up but not wholesale changes.
I say Edwards because I believe a straight talking outside influence could be helpful, and if the money is right then the assistance role could be acceptable.
There are factors such as the World Cup which will cause player disruption, coaching changes will only add more disruption.
I also think it's fair to allow some time for growth and squad glue next season, Leicester should realistically be looking towards next season to see signs of improvements with a view to pushing on with consistency and seriously challenge for the 2020/21 season in my opinion.
Given all the circumstances anything inside of this isn't a fair crack at the job in my opinion.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

IMHO Blake was a bit of a bargain basement panic appointment who hasn't added anything to the team and needs replacing posthaste. Persisting with a drift defence when our forwards clearly lacked the mobility to make it work does not unfortunately suggest he's brimming with bright ideas.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

BFG wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:06 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:51 pm
CitizenSmiff wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:45 pm

He's big, tough, mean and available most of the year, I'm sold! Bit of a penalty machine if I remember rightly but I'm sick of seeing our forwards bullied at the breakdown, we need somebody with a bit of steel in them.
We need some uncompromising players in the pack. Him and Taufua will give us that in the forwards and bring back some menace.
I completely agree, he would be a great signing.
Outside of Etzebeth, if settled Lavanini could be as good a signing as any South African lock in my opinion.
Leicester do need some bruisers.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Cheika / Edwards should be a quality combination. :smt023
upandunder
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by upandunder »

Don’t think Cheika would add anything. He has not really done much for Australia and even lost Larkham???
Edwards would be a good Defence coach and could instill some”attitude “ but not sure if he has much of a DOR track record.
Start from scratch I think but only after identifying what the problems are, fitness for a start I would suggest. Once we can see the problems only then can we start to fix them. Everyone needs to be on the same page.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

wbird4 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:05 pm With Phil Blake's contract running out at the end of the season, would people like to see him remain in his position as defence coach?

Personally, I haven't seen our defence improve since his arrival. He was released from Wasps last year after some poor defensive displays, including their semi-final loss to Saracens where they conceded 57 points. His first stint at Leicester also saw the two hammerings against Bath where we conceded +40 points on both occasions.

Therefore, I personally wouldn't renew his contract. David Ellis was linked with us earlier on in the season and I'd like to see us try and go for him again. He had great success with both France and New Zealand, but is currently coaching Kenilworth RFC.

In terms of the whole coaching structure, I'd be looking at:
DOR: Cheika/Edwards
Head Coach: Geordy
Skills/Attack: Ben Ryan
Defence: David Ellis
Scrum: Boris
Forwards: Bakewell
Development: Deacon

I think Ben Ryan would be looking at a bigger role such as DOR, but other than that, I think this would still be relatively realistic.

Any changes?
Yes. Edwards isn't a DOR. Why would you bring in someone with no DOR experience above Murphy?

Edwards as a defence coach I'd be happy with.

Cheika- No. Wouldn't be available until December. If we are going to bring a DOR in, we need one for pre-season. Also, I don't really rate Cheika.
Loob19

Post by Loob19 »

What we need at the moment is quiet. Let Geordan get on with the job, ensure continuity, have faith in what we have. It's going to take a few years for us to start to make an impact again. What we don't need is further instability.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Loob19 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:41 am What we need at the moment is quiet. Let Geordan get on with the job, ensure continuity, have faith in what we have. It's going to take a few years for us to start to make an impact again. What we don't need is further instability.
I would add the 'instability' of a first rate DOR.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Loob19

Post by Loob19 »

chewbacca wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:43 am
Loob19 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:41 am What we need at the moment is quiet. Let Geordan get on with the job, ensure continuity, have faith in what we have. It's going to take a few years for us to start to make an impact again. What we don't need is further instability.
I would add the 'instability' of a first rate DOR.
Personally, I think it would interfere with the plan that Geordan is putting together. If the DORs instructions were to sign the players that Geordan wants, and have little input into that, then fair enough.

The problem with us recruiting somebody is, it creates so much negative noise that enhances the negative environment that surrounds the club. If we can just get on with our business and fly below the radar for a while whilst building from the academy up we could create something special.
Richardfje

Post by Richardfje »

Couldn't we look into getting some of the boys from teams like the Fijian Drua because they've been tearing it up in the NRC and have a lot of talent that hasn't been snapped up yet. A few of them have already moved to Europe so it would be good to look into.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Definition of madness: Keep doing the same thing repeatedly expecting a different outcome

That is precisely what Tigers have done on the pitch since Murphy was appointed and its demonstrably failed.

That said, it seems that some are happy with this to continue.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I didn't expect G.M. to set the place on fire, but I did expect SOME improvement. Sadly, as we all know, that has not happened.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

sapajo wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:23 pm
Definition of madness: Keep doing the same thing repeatedly expecting a different outcome

That is precisely what Tigers have done on the pitch since Murphy was appointed and its demonstrably failed.

That said, it seems that some are happy with this to continue.
So are you advocating that the board keep on changing the coaching staff, expecting a different outcome? Or isn't that madness? :smt002