Relegation / How to avoid Relegation?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Relegation / How to avoid Relegation?

Post by Dangerous4 »

Wounded tigers are supposed to be more dangerous than otherwise. I'm still waiting for the proof! :smt076
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Coops wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:44 pm We'll avoid relegation.

The quick and dirty predictions I've just done have clubs picking up the following points from the final 5 rounds:

Saracens - 22 points
Exeter - 18 points
Gloucester - 17 points
Northampton - 17 points
Leicester - 13 points
Sale - 11 points
Bath - 11 points
Wasps - 9 points
Harlequins - 7 points
Bristol - 7 points
Worcester - 7 points
Newcastle - 6 points

Our points come from: Win vs Newcastle (4), Win vs Bristol (4), LBP vs Harlequins (1), Win vs Bath (4)

Thus, our position and points after each of the next 5 rounds are:

Wk 18 34 points 10th
Wk 19 38 points 9th
Wk 20 42 points 9th
Wk 21 43 points 8th
Wk 22 47 points 8th

Could be right, could be wrong, could be a load of tosh. Some of the other teams scoring may be wrong but happy to share if anyone wants to see it.
I can't see us beating anyone. There is a bite (literally) and snap, and dog and fight in Newcastle. Ditto Worcester. There is a hollowness to this Tigers team - a nothingness. A lack of confidence? I'm sure that's true, but not the lack of confidence of an underperforming 'team', but of something that is a team in name only; a group of individuals who wear the Tigers shirt.

I don't take any pleasure, in writing as much. I have no problem with Tigers not winning games or silverware. But this 'team' is the sort of 'team' Tigers of old (with internationals missing and novice youngsters playing) would have worked over.

Next year whether it be Championship or Premiership I just want to have pride in a real Tigers team.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Traveller wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:20 pm
Coops wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:44 pm We'll avoid relegation.

The quick and dirty predictions I've just done have clubs picking up the following points from the final 5 rounds:

Saracens - 22 points
Exeter - 18 points
Gloucester - 17 points
Northampton - 17 points
Leicester - 13 points
Sale - 11 points
Bath - 11 points
Wasps - 9 points
Harlequins - 7 points
Bristol - 7 points
Worcester - 7 points
Newcastle - 6 points

Our points come from: Win vs Newcastle (4), Win vs Bristol (4), LBP vs Harlequins (1), Win vs Bath (4)

Thus, our position and points after each of the next 5 rounds are:

Wk 18 34 points 10th
Wk 19 38 points 9th
Wk 20 42 points 9th
Wk 21 43 points 8th
Wk 22 47 points 8th

Could be right, could be wrong, could be a load of tosh. Some of the other teams scoring may be wrong but happy to share if anyone wants to see it.
I can't see us beating anyone. There is a bite (literally) and snap, and dog and fight in Newcastle. Ditto Worcester. There is a hollowness to this Tigers team - a nothingness. A lack of confidence? I'm sure that's true, but not the lack of confidence of an underperforming 'team', but of something that is a team in name only; a group of individuals who wear the Tigers shirt.

I don't take any pleasure, in writing as much. I have no problem with Tigers not winning games or silverware. But this 'team' is the sort of 'team' Tigers of old (with internationals missing and novice youngsters playing) would have worked over.

Next year whether it be Championship or Premiership I just want to have pride in a real Tigers team.
Totally agree !!!
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

Captaincy now is the biggest issue, Tom Youngs is a special player and person but has not been a success as a captain and he is no longer a very good hooker.

We need and all season have needed someone who is not afraid of getting in the ear of the ref and cuffing underperforming players, as TY is at the top of the list of underperformers that becomes impossible also he sounds apologetic when talking to the ref on the rare times it does happen.

Having said that our options seem limited which is possibly the root of the problem, we have few natural leaders.
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

ourla wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:06 pm
Coops wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:15 pm Luckily the teams below us have more difficult run ins than we do.
Do they? I'm not seeing it.

Besides which, would you be confident of us beating anyone right now?
No.

(But trying to remain positive)
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Let's all remember folks that the reason the table is so close is because everybody outside the top 2 are a bit rubbish this season! Bristol lost last week, Bath folded to Chiefs after some early promise and Newcastle have been stuck to the foot of the table all season. We don't have to be great to stay up, just OK will do it.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:39 pm Let's all remember folks that the reason the table is so close is because everybody outside the top 2 are a bit rubbish this season! Bristol lost last week, Bath folded to Chiefs after some early promise and Newcastle have been stuck to the foot of the table all season. We don't have to be great to stay up, just OK will do it.
Well that's alright then :smt002 :smt002 :smt003 :smt003

But seriously the lack of whipping boy or two means that a poor run of form at the end of the season could see a big name slip through the trap doors. That is what was meant to happen with the set up and structure of the League and the salary cap.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:39 pm Let's all remember folks that the reason the table is so close is because everybody outside the top 2 are a bit rubbish this season! Bristol lost last week, Bath folded to Chiefs after some early promise and Newcastle have been stuck to the foot of the table all season. We don't have to be great to stay up, just OK will do it.
I reckon you hit the nail firmly on the head there.
It was eluded to on a topic earlier in the season that the standard hasn't been great from the off.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Relegation odds on the Pests forum given as:

Newcastle Evens
Worcester 9/4
Bristol 7/1
Leicester 8/1
Wasps 22/1

The Wasps fan is suggesting a few quid at 22/1 will pay for next season's season ticket and the trip to Jersey!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

The following post was written last season by a Saints fan and posted on a Saints forum. The writer thought it pertinent to our, Tigers, plight this season. With his permission, here it is.....

"I tend to avoid writing things about Northampton Saints on here other than words of encouragement pre-match; and congratulations / commiserations post-match. That’s largely because I am not a coach; nor have I ever been a professional Rugby player or a qualified referee. I’ve never run a professional Rugby club; nor run a PLC. I am not a journalist nor a broadcaster; in other words, I am not really qualified or equipped to pass critical judgement on actions and / or people who know considerably more than I do about the subjects to which I refer. Of course, I have my own views and thoughts, but on the rare occasions I do proffer them, I try to do them in a constructive and supportive way.

Social media has afforded us all the ability to publish instant, often hastily-compiled, thoughtless opinions on a whole range of matters and to do so with a high degree of impunity; thus taking little or no responsibility for them. Yet is never ceases to sadden me when I read the unpleasant, unconstructive, vitriolic, personal and often hurtful messages aimed at Saints’ management, coaches, players by some so-called fans of the club; the authors of which invariably know far less about the subject matter or individuals they seek to attack, replace, sack, tell how to do their job, castrate, shoot – or even worse!

At the 2017 Season Ticket Holders’ forum, there were the usual questions and gripes about bar opening hours, prices, logistics etc., but only one STH challenged Jim Mallinder on where the players’ passion for the game had gone – the inference being they no longer cared. I struggled with this: I cannot recall a game where I gawped at lazy Saints players ambling around the park; not really bothered about whether they won or lost and just killing time until the half / full time oranges. What I see every game is players putting their bodies on the line into brutal tackles; risking (and often sustaining) horrific injuries and looking clearly dejected when we suffer a loss. Jim gave the answer the questioner deserved.

Some perspective is needed:

• This is one of the toughest seasons I can recall. Every week, there are shock results that defy form and / or expectation of both club and pundit alike

Last season, the season Premiership Champions – Exeter – lost 8 of their first 10 games

Current 3rd place and back-to-back European Champions – Saracens – have won only 2 more league games than Saints (one being against us) and have lost their last 5 games

There are just 10 points between 2nd place and 10th place in the league currently – 2 x bonus point games that could go either way

The fact is, nothing is ever as simple as pub-speak or keyboard bravado allows it to seem. I don’t believe for one minute people are sat around Franklins Gardens shrugging their shoulders and sighing “ah well, never mind”. Professional sportspeople and management are competitive and want to win; they are seldom complacent and they know ultimately on-field results impact revenue and profit. I’m sure they are doing all they can to address whatever needs doing to return to the form the fans seek. But they will never be helped by digital warriors calling for coaches’ or players’ scalps; or bashing local media for not asking the questions they think is their right to have asked.

I’m a Saints fan and I always will be. For me, that means supporting the club through the good and the difficult times; not belittling it in public for all to see; or leaving games early to a sea of boos when things don’t go according to plan. There is stuff to work on for sure and there always will be (unless of course we are winning every single game week in; week out!).

I am proud of the club, its atmosphere and the conduct of its real fans – I want to be able to say that for years to come.

And remember, above all else, IT’S ONLY A :censored: GAME!"
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Sadly we are currently the worst performing of those in the relegation fight.

Our game struggles because 4-8 aren't performing anywhere the level required. This has been made worse by Kalamafoni getting banned and shunting Thompson to 8 where he isn't going to be able to affect too many turnovers.

The other area is the untouchable captain who is way off form (and has been on the downward slide for a few years) keeping out better players and more able captains from leading the side. The "Follow me approach" only works if you are doing something effective that works for the team. Boshing it up into the opposition defenders is beyond the physical abilities of our forwards - largely because they run straight into contact. (That's what you expect from your props not your second and back rows all the time)
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

mol2 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:12 am Sadly we are currently the worst performing of those in the relegation fight.

Our game struggles because 4-8 aren't performing anywhere the level required. This has been made worse by Kalamafoni getting banned and shunting Thompson to 8 where he isn't going to be able to affect too many turnovers.

The other area is the untouchable captain who is way off form (and has been on the downward slide for a few years) keeping out better players and more able captains from leading the side. The "Follow me approach" only works if you are doing something effective that works for the team. Boshing it up into the opposition defenders is beyond the physical abilities of our forwards - largely because they run straight into contact. (That's what you expect from your props not your second and back rows all the time)
Yes, I have to go along with the above. :smt045
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mol makes some good points, however I’d argue that Tom Youngs has played well since his return from injury, I still don’t think he should be captain.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni