Ampthill anyone?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

amazing tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Ampthill anyone?

Post by amazing tiger »

Just seen on Twitter that ampthill are possibly going to get promoted into the championship next year. Very old fashioned club ie no stands and proper rugby club. What is everyone's thoughts on the possibility of this happening?
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Ampthill anyone?

Post by Darc Tiger »

Will be a nice away trip next season... :smt024
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

amazing tiger wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:41 pm Just seen on Twitter that ampthill are possibly going to get promoted into the championship next year. Very old fashioned club ie no stands and proper rugby club. What is everyone's thoughts on the possibility of this happening?
Lot of money coming into the club with a number of reasonably recent ex south sea island internationals playing for them.

They got caught out a few seasons ago. They were at the top of the old Nat 3 midlands and had a home game scheduled. It was during the 6 nations and a number of their first team were going to watch England play at Twickenham. There was a hard frost that morning so they tried to be clever and call the match off early rather than waiting for the ground to thaw, thus not risking losing the game.
What they didn’t realise was that an rfu official/refereee lived just up the road and he checked the pitch around noon and it was perfectly playable.
Cost them a 20 point deduction and Hinckley got promoted instead
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

When I saw this I immediately thought of Clyde, Ring-A-Ding, Danny, Rug Bug Benny, Mac, Kirby and Willy....then realised that I'd mis-read the thread title.... :smt002

Maybe they'd save us from the machinations of the hooded claw.....
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Ampthill is a proper rugby club. Really friendly atmosphere, like Sarries was before Nigel Wray took control and turned the whole thing toxic.

Pitch by the club house is a mud bath, but that could presumably could be replaced. I think the first team currently play on one of the upper pitches, but when I was there earlier in the season there was no seating, some “terracing” with rabbit warrens (literal not metaphorical) in it, and a marquee tent, but no seating in sight.

Be great to see them in the championship.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Is that the same Ampthill that has the working open air Victorian museum? Great place to visit.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Dangerous4 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:05 pm Is that the same Ampthill that has the working open air Victorian museum? Great place to visit.
No idea all I can tell you it’s in Bedfordshire
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

Dangerous4 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:05 pm Is that the same Ampthill that has the working open air Victorian museum? Great place to visit.
No you are mixing it up with Welford Road next season ~ an open air Victorian Museum still starring the same Muppets in the boxes. :smt022
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

AngusMcCoatup wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:35 pm
No you are mixing it up with Welford Road next season ~ an open air Victorian Museum still starring the same Muppets in the boxes. :smt022
:smt005
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

I still hope and indeed believe that we won't land up relegated, but a visit to Ampthill would be brill. Home in 30 minutes and the gin & tonic. Much better than a slog down the M1.

All credit to Ampthill though. Great club.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Being Cambridge based both Ampthill and Bedford will be on my rugby agenda should the Tigers fall from Premiership grace? X5 + bus-pass cheap travel!!
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Time to revive this thread maybe, as the Ampthill Mob have now definitely been promoted after beating Loughborough students at the weekend.

I believe tomorrow they vote on their relocation plans.
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

teds wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:44 pm Time to revive this thread maybe, as the Ampthill Mob have now definitely been promoted after beating Loughborough students at the weekend.

We won't be playing Ampthill next season as we will be in the Premiership still.
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

1989Tiger wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:50 pm
teds wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:44 pm Time to revive this thread maybe, as the Ampthill Mob have now definitely been promoted after beating Loughborough students at the weekend.

We won't be playing Ampthill next season as we will be in the Premiership still.
I agree, although the jury is still out. But it’s interesting to look at other divisions and see the rise of some clubs like Exeter, Ealing and Ampthill.
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

teds wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:58 pm
1989Tiger wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:50 pm

I agree, although the jury is still out. But it’s interesting to look at other divisions and see the rise of some clubs like Exeter, Ealing and Ampthill.
Yes, which could be a pointless rise if Premiership Rugby go ahead with the ridiculous idea of ring fencing.