Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ellis9
Super User
Super User

Players won't leave

Post by ellis9 »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mirror ... 185603.amp

If Tigers are relegated (and I don't think we will be), our players don't have a relegation release clause (I never expected they would do) so will be the players to get us out of the Championship.
maire88
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: Players won't leave

Post by maire88 »

I have no doubt they will find a way to wriggle out, possibly by buying their way out.
Formerly hww27
Proud to have been the Tom Youngs Fan Club since 2010
Rhinos rule :smt002 :smt050
Granby
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Granby »

If we get relegated, would we want to keep them?
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

ellis9 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:33 pm https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mirror ... 185603.amp

If Tigers are relegated (and I don't think we will be), our players don't have a relegation release clause (I never expected they would do) so will be the players to get us out of the Championship.
I believe all the Ints will go as they will want and be required to play at the top level to maintain being picked for an Int shirt.

So, on purely speculation:
Genge
Cole - maybe
Denton
Youngs - maybe
Ford
Manu
May
Holmes
Maybe some of the youngsters U20 etc may go too?

Not bringing through the youth as done by Baxter and McCall have done will bite? My fear is that if relegated 'past it' players will be recruited in the hope of a 'one season drop and return'?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Most of the England stars do not have an escape clause according to article in daily Mail today.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... ation.html

Salient points from article:
  • A quartet of England stars could be playing in the Championship next season
    Manu Tuilagi, Jonny May, Ben Youngs and Ellis Genge are all facing relegation
    The players do not have relegation release clauses in their Leicester contracts
    It is believed George Ford is one of few players who does have a release clause
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

maire88 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:07 am I have no doubt they will find a way to wriggle out, possibly by buying their way out.
Would they want to? Why would they need to play in the Premiership next season? A Rugby World Cup year makes it a less black and white problem.

The established stars will go to the RWC until, probably, about December (by the time they're back, rested etc). The 6N selection will largely be influenced by RWC performance, so again, a month or so of Championship rugby may be of little detriment. Effectively us going down could give our international players the sort of breathing space Sexton gets for Ireland etc and have less of an effect than a normal season cycle.

Personally I think it could be less of a problem than people think - they'll still get paid - and the club take a financial hit short term. Look at Mark Wilson. Allegedly no release-clause in his latest Falcons' contract either.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Eesh, did anybody ever in their lives imagine we'd be having this conversation? Clauses aside it'd make no financial sense to keep them, you don't need Manu and May to win the Championship, London Irish look likely to do it with all manner of old timers and strays.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:07 am Eesh, did anybody ever in their lives imagine we'd be having this conversation? Clauses aside it'd make no financial sense to keep them, you don't need Manu and May to win the Championship, London Irish look likely to do it with all manner of old timers and strays.
No but you need them for when you return to the Premiership.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

It would be a test of loyalty for sure.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

ourla wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:20 am It would be a test of loyalty for sure.
Yes it would. Players such as Genge who openly criticised the club for releasing players from their contract early, presumably would stay at the club.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

All this is making me even more nervous.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Since we are only going to have the England players for only 7 Premiership fixtures there is very little lost.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

ellis9 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:33 pm https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mirror ... 185603.amp

No but the players who are reported to be coming in will probably have one
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Th e club may have no choice but to release then - where's the money coming from to pay them if we are in the championship?
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

mol2 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:08 pm Th e club may have no choice but to release then - where's the money coming from to pay them if we are in the championship?
Parachute payment and ticket sales.

I'd imagine we would make quite a big loss still but it would be for one season.