Ring fencing

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Ring fencing

Post by BigDan50 »

We are now in the relegation battle, would you change you views on ring fencing if Tigers finish bottom of the league.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: Ring fencing

Post by ellis9 »

BigDan50 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:30 am We are now in the relegation battle, would you change you views on ring fencing if Tigers finish bottom of the league.
No. Relegation must stay. Whoever finishes bottom.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Personally no, as it provides excitement in the league with the top 2 just about assured.

Central contracts now that’s a different matter
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

No No a thousand times No
Hehehehehehehehe
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

I've been on this soap box for far too long about the merits of promotion and relegation to do a Theresa May on it now.

Would be very funny* if they decide to ringfence after next year and Tigers fail to be the 13th team.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

BigDan50 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:30 am We are now in the relegation battle, would you change you views on ring fencing if Tigers finish bottom of the league.
No.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

I think they should ring fence but not because Tigers are threatened with relegation.

Ring fencing isn't and shouldn't be an absolute anyway. There should be an allowance/route/set of rules for expansion.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

ourla wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:17 am I think they should ring fence but not because Tigers are threatened with relegation.

Ring fencing isn't and shouldn't be an absolute anyway. There should be an allowance/route/set of rules for expansion.
Such as?
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

No. I don't like the idea at all.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Against ring-fencing and, next season, I'll have a great deal more sympathy for those opposition fans going through the prospect of relegation! This has been a salutary lesson...
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Peter Tom reiterates his view that relegation should stay in Telegraph article. I agree.
Valhalla I am coming!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

ellis9 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:37 am
ourla wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:17 am I think they should ring fence but not because Tigers are threatened with relegation.

Such as?
Based on infrastructure, finances and performance - not an exhaustive list but a starting point.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

ourla wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:46 pm
ellis9 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:37 am

Such as?
Based on infrastructure, finances and performance - not an exhaustive list but a starting point.
Well teams can already get access to the Premiership based on performance as if they perform well enough, they will win the league so therefore gain promotion.

Infrastructure is a poor excuse not to promote a club in my opinion. However, as this is a rule, clubs can share football grounds so this won't be an issue if they win the Championship.

Finances. This just needs to be managed correctly. If the promoted club can only afford £2 million to be spent on wages, then that's what they should spend. If that means they don't have the quality players to stay up, then they'll go back down but they deserved their shot in the big time.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

ellis9 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:03 pm Well teams can already get access to the Premiership based on performance as if they perform well enough, they will win the league so therefore gain promotion.
Sure, at the moment this is the only criteria.
ellis9 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:03 pmInfrastructure is a poor excuse not to promote a club in my opinion.
And you are entitled to your opinion. However, just to flesh this out. To me the point of ring fencing is to create a stable and competitive league that provides a long term robust framework for the professional game. To that end I want clubs to have up to grade training facilities, match day facilities, sufficient trained staff, etc. to match up with the existing clubs.
ellis9 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:03 pmHowever, as this is a rule, clubs can share football grounds so this won't be an issue if they win the Championship.
I'd want to see security of tenure.
ellis9 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:03 pmFinances. This just needs to be managed correctly.
And that is what I would propose, some due dilligence checks to make sure that is the case.
ellis9 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:03 pmIf the promoted club can only afford £2 million to be spent on wages, then that's what they should spend. If that means they don't have the quality players to stay up, then they'll go back down but they deserved their shot in the big time.
In the meantime another better financed team loses out and the competition suffers. Ring fencing could avoid this situation.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

ourla wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:27 pm
ellis9 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:03 pm Well teams can already get access to the Premiership based on performance as if they perform well enough, they will win the league so therefore gain promotion.
Sure, at the moment this is the only criteria.
ellis9 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:03 pmInfrastructure is a poor excuse not to promote a club in my opinion.
And you are entitled to your opinion. However, just to flesh this out. To me the point of ring fencing is to create a stable and competitive league that provides a long term robust framework for the professional game. To that end I want clubs to have up to grade training facilities, match day facilities, sufficient trained staff, etc. to match up with the existing clubs.
ellis9 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:03 pmHowever, as this is a rule, clubs can share football grounds so this won't be an issue if they win the Championship.
I'd want to see security of tenure.
ellis9 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:03 pmFinances. This just needs to be managed correctly.
And that is what I would propose, some due dilligence checks to make sure that is the case.
ellis9 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:03 pmIf the promoted club can only afford £2 million to be spent on wages, then that's what they should spend. If that means they don't have the quality players to stay up, then they'll go back down but they deserved their shot in the big time.
In the meantime another better financed team loses out and the competition suffers. Ring fencing could avoid this situation.
Is there due diligence done on exsisting Premiership Clubs? The promoted club should be treated but the same way as current Premiership Clubs.

In regards to facilities- Other clubs have shared grounds so why would this be an issue?