Tigers v Saints

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers v Saints

Post by chewbacca »

Looking for positives. George Ford really is very good. Oh and it didn't rain.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Smudger67S
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Smudger67S »

Tigers head coach Geordan Murphy told BBC Radio Leicester:

"I feel sick, to be honest. It was incredibly disappointing. The top four is going to be very difficult for us new and so is the top six.

"It makes you question everything you're doing. The guys are working hard but we're making very silly mistakes. It's not because the guys don't care. It's because they care too much."
———————
Geordan should be more concerned about the other end of the table rather than announcing top 4 as a now unreachable target.
If at first you don't succeed .............. then skydiving isnt for you!!!!
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:50 pm We’re now stuck between a rock and a hard place. It’s obvious the coaching team aren’t up to task. But can we afford to change the coaches again, it’s turning into a circus with no end in sight.

Well played Saints. Very well coached team who looked to put width on the ball and attack the wide channels. Made it look easy. Odd that we were playing two opensides and still didn’t manage to compete at the breakdown.
At almost every tackle Saints made there was a second man waiting to latch on & slow down whilst Tigers' second man nearly always went in to assist in the tackle and look to drive the ball carrier back or had to take over the tackle after the first man fell off. Saints had good support runners 2 steps behind the ball carrier looking to clear out quickly whilst Tiger's support runner was attached on the shoulder looking to help with the drive & wasn't in a position to clear out.

Saints got nice quick ball often and spun it wide quickly whilst Tigers were slow, ponderous and still narrow in defence. That was the biggest difference between the teams IMHO.
Smudger67S
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Smudger67S »

It was only 18 months ago at Jim Mallinders departure this forum was cherry picking which of the Saints players Tigers should take on. Todays result was manufactured on the boardroom table when Saints globally looked for a world class coach and landed Chris Boyd, while Tigers did not look globally and took a more local approach and appointed poor old Geordan Murphy who was always going to struggle at this level. Unfair on him, unfair on the Tigers supporters.
The board must go, but that will not happen, why would look at their own failings and sack themselves.
BTW I bet the Saints wouldn’t reversely be looking to cherry pick anyone from Tigers bar May.
Last edited by Smudger67S on Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
If at first you don't succeed .............. then skydiving isnt for you!!!!
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

No getting away from it........ Woeful
Can I see a turn in fortunes.......No For this to happen players need to respond. If every one played with the desire that young J.O did last night maybe. Defensively a schools team could run through the gaps. What's the defensive coach doing.
No effective attacking - no support play - not a clue...

Posters are correct a S.Edwards needs convincing and paid a huge amount ( If interested and available )

We hear big names have signed after the world cup - they are not being disclosed at this time but will be drip fed. Possibly for days like yesterday - with spin as a good news day ...
I have supported and followed Tigers since 1971..
these past 5 seasons is like watching the slow death rattle of life passing .

Whoever comes - it could be the entire All Blacks team - they will not make a jot until we get a plan, a defensive structure and some coaches who can handle the experience.

Well done Saints .... :smt013 :smt013 :smt013
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

I don’t know the root of our problems: with most of our internationals back playing at home against Saints, the outcome should have been a foregone conclusion...
Like many others I was keen to give the current coaching/team setup time. But something has got to change for the better, or we’ll be fighting it out for the wooden spoon, if we’re not already.
Dare I say that if a coaching change does happen, PLEASE not an ex-Tiger! No disrespect to any ex-Tigers, but we desperately need some new blood. Boyd seems to have performed a turnaround at our neighbours after a significant clear out of players and coaches, and just watching Saints play, you get the impression of a team on the way up. Ackermann seems to have similarly improved Glaws.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Spot on Smudger.

Smurf says the side lacked confidence. Does he not recognise the lack of structure in both attack and defence, the slowness in reforming after a set piece, the lack of any visible improvement from game to game, poor handling, stupid penalties given away as problems?

He was a panic appointment and yet another error by the board. A Tigers legend does not necessarily a good coach make. Keep Stanko, drop the rest.

Sorry Smurf, but that’s how it is.
Valhalla I am coming!
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

fleabane wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:33 am Spot on Smudger.

Smurf says the side lacked confidence. Does he not recognise the lack of structure in both attack and defence, the slowness in reforming after a set piece, the lack of any visible improvement from game to game, poor handling, stupid penalties given away as problems?

He was a panic appointment and yet another error by the board. A Tigers legend does not necessarily a good coach make. Keep Stanko, drop the rest.

Sorry Smurf, but that’s how it is.
Sad but true. Part of a coaches role is to motivate players and the team as a whole. If we’re lacking confidence it probably stems from them not having faith in the training they’re doing week in week out.

I used to blame the players. But you look at the team and we have good players there who perform for country. If they’re not being given any attacking structure from the coaches then it must be very difficult to play. We’re now a team of individual players less than the sum of our parts. Seems the whole coaching setup isn’t good enough and I’m sure the board can see that for their own eyes. Fully expect more chopping and changing end of the season. I actually can’t think of a team with a worse coaching group in the premiership. Newcastle, Worcester, Bristol coaches could do a better job.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Our game plan is stuck in the mid 2000s, where you could truck it up and defences weren’t as water tight. As we saw last night, Saints flooded the breakdown, slowed ball down (because they’d obviously seen previous footage of how clueless we are with slow ball), tried to rip the ball out of our carries and generally made a nuisance of themselves. The difference in energy levels was massive and it’s not all confidence. Our more experienced players are clearly good players, some even international but in the forwards, it’s like we’re light years behind other teams, in terms of skill set (wasn’t Murphy skills coach previously ?). Our squad isn’t good enough. An influx of players may help but not if we don’t look at our style of play, skill set and get up to speed with moving the ball away from contact, instead of running into it. Sure, there’s a time to be direct but we are very predictable at the moment. We’re also in that situation where it’s plainly obvious that players don’t want to be there. Unacceptable. Some of the players reactions to giving penalties away was an eye opener. You can’t feel sorry for yourself and sulk in these situations, you come out fighting, roll your sleeves up and give everything for the cause. Sadly for some it appears unlikely that we’ll get that. Talk is cheap.
Last edited by westwinds31 on Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

westwinds31 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:00 am Our game plan is struck in the mid 2000s...
My thoughts exactly.
tripeandonions
Tiger Cub

Post by tripeandonions »

Congratulations all at Leicester Tigers. Over the past five years, a huge amount of work has been done, in so many ways, to transform the club into a rock solid league bottom three certainty with no possibility of making progress to the knockout stages of cup competitions. Those in charge should be rightly proud of this fine achievement.
Yorkietiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Yorkietiger »

Cooled down a bit this morning after sitting through that last night. I do not doubt the players desire to win, or question their work ethic, but it is woe fully obvious that the coaching is substandard. The squad are not bad players, several are world class and would be the envy of most clubs.

So, back to the coaching, and I say this as an admirer of Geordan Murphy as a player, it is clearly not working, and now his inexperience as a coach is coming home to roost. The decision to give him this job was both unfair on the club but on him personally. It is just the same as I have seen in business, people promoted over their capabilties or too quickly, when the going gets tough they crash and burn.

We are toothless going forward, no penetration, no guile, utterly predictable and we cannot look after the ball. The defence looks flaky too, dog legs everywhere, gaps in the line, people dropping off or missing tackles.

Yes there were a few individuals who did some good things, Guy Thompson, George Ford and the young winger. But a cohesive team we were not.

I feel for Geordan, he has been set up to fail, and this will hugely have damaged his prospects in the game when he moves on, as he surely must given what is happening. Who do I blame? Well the BOD are the ones, they appointed him and they ultimately carry the responsibility.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Still fuming,not much time add. Murphy completely out of his depth,awful performance bar 3 players and relegation still a huge possibility,I guess we are all Brizzle and Sale fans today!
On another note my daughter absolutely loved it and wants me to get tickets for the Chiefs game! Why???? :smt005
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Agree totally Yorkietiger. BoD have been remiss from 2013 onwards.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
tripeandonions
Tiger Cub

Post by tripeandonions »

If this was soccer ball, you'd be half expecting the club to bring in someone like Sam Allerdyce or Harry Redknapp to shore things up and try to avoid "the drop". I can see where things could be going next at Welford Road, just to finish off the job....