Let's hope most of these radical laws don't take off or i'm off!!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Let's hope most of these radical laws don't take off or i'm off!!

Post by Scott1 »

"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: Let's hope most of these radical laws don't take off or i'm off!!

Post by mol2 »

Some are plain daft.

Hoof it out and keep the ball is plain daft. Lots of 5m line outs will ensue.

Lowering the tackle height is fine but will only work if the ball carrier is upright.

These changes will effectively make turnovers impossible.

When will they understand that rugby is not just about tries?

Yes the bush bash bosh game dominated by steroid munching gym bunnies has to be changed for the welfare of the players but these changes are not likely to achieve that. The biggest culprit is the tackle area where the defending side can’t compete so the emphasis on dislodging the ball in the tackle to effect a turnover is dominant.

Immediate release of the ball by the tackled player and proper rucking must return.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

mol2 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:57 pm Immediate release of the ball by the tackled player and proper rucking must return.
Ah, but will that get people watching the game at home?
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I like the idea of a line out for the attacking team, under the mentioned circumstances, but that line out should remain under the current ruling. As for the rest of the changes, they are ridiculous and unnecessary.
Not a jock
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Not a jock »

I can't make up my mind - are they good ideas or have they ignored an embargo and published them 11 days' too early?
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

So they are suggesting even more kicking of the ball with more catching and driving off the resulting lineout. When I started playing if a winger had the ball and a defender manged to lay a hand on him the winger stepped out his side retaining the ball for the throw in as he had been forced out, ir was a daft law so they changed it, now they are thinking of introducing something similar.
We see penalties even cards given for high tackles when the ball carriers head is lowered to waist level, how do you tackle a man charging towards you head down, to go in under his body straight at his knees is going to bring more injuries to tacklers and I understand more head injuries are sustained by tacklers than by those tackled.
If the game is to be examined and changes recommended please let it be done by players and coaches that have been involved in the professional era, the game has changed a lot over the past twenty or so years, there are too many former non professional players who have not kept pace with change unlike us fans who watch week in week out not just when someone pays us to.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

mol2 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:57 pm Some are plain daft.

Lowering the tackle height is fine but will only work if the ball carrier is upright.

Yes the bush bash bosh game dominated by steroid munching gym bunnies has to be changed for the welfare of the players but these changes are not likely to achieve that. The biggest culprit is the tackle area where the defending side can’t compete so the emphasis on dislodging the ball in the tackle to effect a turnover is dominant.

Immediate release of the ball by the tackled player and proper rucking must return.
Agree 100%. Won't be watching this, just as bad as the last lot when Meyer was here.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

jgriffin wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:34 pm
mol2 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:57 pm Some are plain daft.

Agree 100%. Won't be watching this, just as bad as the last lot when Meyer was here.
Will people stop fer fer fer fiddling about with the game I love? Look back at the game that was. Work out WHY stuff was done a certain way and get back to proper rugby union values.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

It's just gonna end up turning into a mash-up of two of my least favourite sports,7s and League!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Are Bernier, Juncker and Tusk involved? If so it may happen.....
All for player welfare but at what cost to the game.?

I would prefer DNA testing and Body scans for all players prior to career in Rugby. Do we know if players have a predisposition to adverse reaction resulting from head injury.
I know, civil liberties and cost would be a factor but prevention is better than cure. This would not stop all serious injury.

The alternative is to change the game beyond recognition.
So if we want Rugby league I'll go support Leeds Rhinos. :smt019 :smt019
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

I watch quite a lot of League so the 50-22 kick actually doesn't seem like such a crazy idea. If it keeps more players in the backfield then the rest of the team will have to cover more area, hence reduce the number of huge monsters on the field!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:28 pm I watch quite a lot of League so the 50-22 kick actually doesn't seem like such a crazy idea. If it keeps more players in the backfield then the rest of the team will have to cover more area, hence reduce the number of huge monsters on the field!
I can see Mark McCall smirking already at the thought of a fixture against us with a 50-22 rule.
Blimey the defending is bad enough already without the need for two players in the backfield or the threat of a load of line out mauls to cope with.
You'd have more chance of finding an MP with a spine than coming up with a defensive strategy to stop Saracens.
I'm afraid the game has become ruined by the concentration of athletes, they don't have the skill to play properly and are too soft for the consequences.
The modern rugby player is fast becoming a clone of a dancer with two left feet and a boxer with a glass jaw.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

BFG wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:23 pm [The modern rugby player is fast becoming a clone of a dancer with two left feet and a boxer with a glass jaw.
Sounds like a description of Andrew Sheridan before and after Julian White hit him. :smt003 :smt005
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:39 pm
BFG wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:23 pm [The modern rugby player is fast becoming a clone of a dancer with two left feet and a boxer with a glass jaw.
Sounds like a description of Andrew Sheridan before and after Julian White hit him. :smt003 :smt005
Exactly! :smt005