LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 6

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 6

Post by ellis9 »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:31 pm Every forum I've read saying what a mistake we've made letting Evans go
Not if he wants to go we haven't.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:31 pm Every forum I've read saying what a mistake we've made letting Evans go
And I'd agree!
He is at very least as good a potential player as Earl at Sarries in my opinion.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

He’s barely played for 2 years what are people basing that on.
He wants to go to Quins and no doubt the bright lights are a big draw for his model girlfriend
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

And when he did play and have a standout game he was dropped again as soon as others were fit!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Mark62 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:56 pm
He’s barely played for 2 years what are people basing that on.
He wants to go to Quins and no doubt the bright lights are a big draw for his model girlfriend
Well we've seen more of Evans than Reffell and folk are saying that Reffell is decent!
Personally I've no idea how anyone can make solid claims about Reffell at this level!
If Quins coaches want Evans then that must surely say enough!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

TBF if they are anything like the forum you posted about Manu re-signing that might not mean too much.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

If a player gets a better offer from elsewhere and wants to accept that offer then good luck to him, if Will had stayed then possibly Reffell wouldn't. We all want Tigers to be a stronger team next season than they have proved to be this, if that means bringing players in then others have to leave, the game is no longer amateur, retaining players has cost implications and young players beyond the Development stage staying and possibly not challenging for a first team slot will just block the progression of even younger players. Will Evans is a fine young player who through illness and injury has not consistently been available to seize a first team place. hopefully he will be injury free at Quins, I am sorry he is going, I think it is the right decision for him at this time, I hope it is also right for Tigers, time will tell!
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Whilst I largely agree johnthegriff, a young player with his future in front of him, is going to find a club like Quinns a better bet for his playing career than Tigers at the moment. I know that this is a sad thing to say, but I can. Ompletely understand any player wanting to further career looking elsewhere at the moment. Tigers is no longer the draw it was.
Valhalla I am coming!
TA30
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TA30 »

fleabane wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:35 pm Whilst I largely agree johnthegriff, a young player with his future in front of him, is going to find a club like Quinns a better bet for his playing career than Tigers at the moment. I know that this is a sad thing to say, but I can. Ompletely understand any player wanting to further career looking elsewhere at the moment. Tigers is no longer the draw it was.
With all due respect, I am not sure why Quins are a better bet? Sarries & Ex yes, but quins no.
In fact, I would suggest the two clubs are very similar at present, Head coaches in first season trying to reshape the club, so giving potential new recruits the hard-sell of their vision for the club. Both also giving young players chances in the 1st team. The league position is a slight misnomer, given they had minimal international disruption and have tough fixtures to come. In fact Tigers having 6 players away is positive from a young player perspective, as they can see on TV they will be learning from & training with the best players in the world.

I think Evans moving to quins is simply a case of a young lad wanting to move to London, with in this particular instance the added benefit of the head coach being a former backrower. A shame but fair enough I say. Sam Aspland Robinson moved to us from Quins under similar circumstances last year i.e. suffered with injuries so hadn't got the game time and had established players above him, along with pressure from Ibitoye etc from age groups below. So, I do not think this move is an indictment of our ability to keep our young players. Keeping Hardwick, White etc suggests otherwise.

What Tigers needs now is for GM to start getting the wins with a full squad and to get the sort of BT sports air time that Gustard gets. This will start changing the negative perception of tigers. - I doubt Gustard would be such a media darling if his team had had to play brutal Champions Cup rugby, followed by being forced into playing a skeleton of a 1st team in the league due to injuries and internationals, all the while picking from a squad he had no say in shaping.

Ultimately, momentum is everything in sport and we desperately need to get some wins!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

POC leaving Stade Francais end of season,hope we are putting the feelers out!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:31 am POC leaving Stade Francais end of season,hope we are putting the feelers out!
Weren’t we linked with him in the past?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yes LT,let's hope we chase it up. Apparently he doesn't get on with Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

None of the coaching staff get on with Meyer.

Although why would POC be fine when most of the complaints above our current coaches is experience.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:31 am POC leaving Stade Francais end of season,hope we are putting the feelers out!
Who is POC please?
As Good As It Gets
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Scuttle wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:48 am
Who is POC please?
Paul O’Connell