The Six Nations 2019

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: The Six Nations 2019

Post by Scott1 »

Folk saying the blame lies with Eddie,these are international players. Where's the onfield leadership? At this level players should be able to change tact midgame. England remind me of Leicester really ,just clueless at times.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:29 pm Folk saying the blame lies with Eddie,these are international players. Where's the onfield leadership? At this level players should be able to change tact midgame. England remind me of Leicester really ,just clueless at times.
Problem, his Captain Farrell cannot change, he only has 1 style of play and picking him at FH, without Slade at 12, dictates the overall way we have to play. In open play there's only 14 players that have an alternative and a Captain that hasn't and hes in the key play maker position, We have played the Kick chase on 4 occasions now and lost 2 of them, basically running out of steam and being outplayed in the second half. Today's helter skelter first half drained us, Russell started to kick deep behind us, we were knackered from first half, Jones did not make the change at FH early and so we reverted to the Kick chase, which we didn't do properly. It would have been useful if we could have held onto the ball, we were dispossessed too easily.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Enough of that, lets watch our Women and see if they can do any better. Oh they are winning 14-0 after 10 mins.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:29 pm Folk saying the blame lies with Eddie,these are international players. Where's the onfield leadership? At this level players should be able to change tact midgame. England remind me of Leicester really ,just clueless at times.
Well, with 6 Tigers on the pitch it's not surprising - it reminded me of that Gloucester game a few seasons ago where we were 30 ish ahead at half time at it ended up a 43 all draw and Cockers kept the players on the pitch to give them all a very public dressing down. (The score numbers may be wrong but the principle is right)
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Look at the England side that won the world cup. Look at the leaders in it. Then think about the time it took to gain that experience. We're building. (As are Tigers.....but from much farther back)
England need a long period of stability in order to develop leadership.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The problem was the leadership.
Farrell is not a leader and again this was exposed today just as it was against Wales.

To throw a tight pass that costs a try at 31 nil is one thing but to repeat it is the act of someone who lacks insight. England need a Johnson, Dallaglio or Wilkinson. That is not Farrell.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

mol2 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:24 pm The problem was the leadership.
Farrell is not a leader and again this was exposed today just as it was against Wales.

To throw a tight pass that costs a try at 31 nil is one thing but to repeat it is the act of someone who lacks insight. England need a Johnson, Dallaglio or Wilkinson. That is not Farrell.
Or a Back, or a Corry, or a Hill. ........a Lewsey or a Greenwood or a Tindall......even a Dawson???? The list goes on.
newport tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by newport tiger »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:29 pm It's not sour grapes but imo,it's one of the worse GS wins ever.
I live in Wales these days and although i have kept quiet for obvious reasons you are quite right. It started with a win against France that was gift wrapped followed by a poor performance against Italy. Then England capitulated followed by a huge defensive effort against Scotland, then onto today against an Ireland team that was awful. That said this time next year it will all be forgotten and will go down as another GS so i suppose its congratulations Wales.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I've just enjoyed watching our Women win their GS, Ok it was very one sided today but England sure do have some exciting women players, including our own brilliant Emily. :smt045 :smt038 :smt038
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Ben Youngs and Owen Farrell both to blame for the slip, I also think Vunipola is :censored at the moment, going into contact very slow and his knock-on from Genge’s offload was very sloppy. Jones needs to bring someone in who can challenge him, i.e. Ben Morgan, as Hughes has shown he can’t.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

After Wales’ GS, now I know how everyone else felt when England reached the WC final in 2007.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

JP14 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:34 am After Wales’ GS, now I know how everyone else felt when England reached the WC final in 2007.
:smt001 One for the Cocky Leek (Formerly the Wilted Daffodil) this lunchtime. Thanks! I'll steal with pride!
ashleytiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by ashleytiger »

Why oh why do we persist in kicking the ball to the opposition so they can run it back at us :smt017

As the panic grows and ones own team tires and comes under pressure, it seems inevitable that half backs just want to get rid of the ball upfield... anywhere. The quality of the kicks deteriorates as the pressure grows; box kicking is such a lengthy process now allowing the opposition to be ready to receive the ball.

How is it possible that coaches cannot see what is starting to happen on the field and get word to the team to change tactics?

After the initial frustration yesterday, watching Farrell and YBY hand the ball over to a grateful Finn Russel, it almost became a comedy show.
Coleshillad
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Coleshillad »

First, Ben well deserves all the accolades for his achievements. He has been an outstanding No. 9, but it's time I think, for him to change his game, or hang up his international boots. He still occasionally tries the tap penalties, and the sniping runs he's famous for, but they're not working enough, and some of those tactics have not been thought out properly, or executed as well as they have been previously. Now Farrell is different in that he is more a liability. His mistakes are appearing with more, and more frequency. Loose passes, basic decision making with regard to distribution, and the high risk of giving away a penalty, or being carded when in defensive mode. As for captaincy, he needs to lose that. I don't think he should be the first name on the team sheet any more. I'm disappointed George hasn't been given more a chance. The last 10 minutes is nowhere near enough, especially when the games been going downhill for the previous 30. It highlights flaws in EJ's coaching, which keep coming back. A lot too close to Japan for radical changes at No.s 9 and 10, but they are the play makers, and we're not going to progress playing 40 minute rugby.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Coleshillad wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:23 am First, Ben well deserves all the accolades for his achievements. He has been an outstanding No. 9, but it's time I think, for him to change his game, or hang up his international boots. He still occasionally tries the tap penalties, and the sniping runs he's famous for, but they're not working enough, and some of those tactics have not been thought out properly, or executed as well as they have been previously. Now Farrell is different in that he is more a liability. His mistakes are appearing with more, and more frequency. Loose passes, basic decision making with regard to distribution, and the high risk of giving away a penalty, or being carded when in defensive mode. As for captaincy, he needs to lose that. I don't think he should be the first name on the team sheet any more. I'm disappointed George hasn't been given more a chance. The last 10 minutes is nowhere near enough, especially when the games been going downhill for the previous 30. It highlights flaws in EJ's coaching, which keep coming back. A lot too close to Japan for radical changes at No.s 9 and 10, but they are the play makers, and we're not going to progress playing 40 minute rugby.
+1
Add to that.... Daly has a huge boot, runs from back but too often gets isolated,also like Farrell he misses tackles.

EJ has to answer his critics. For me tired players loose mental capacity and this affects good decision making.
Surely EJ and the support staff see this during the game, but either ,wrongly think players will play themselves out of it, or, are short of imagination as what to do next. As in yesterdays game ( taking nothing away from the Scotts ) Too late when points have been shipped. :smt013 :smt013 :smt013 :smt013