LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 6

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 6

Post by RagingBull »

Would be surprised if Martin plays much rugby next year, outside of loan out to a Nat 1 team.

I do like the requirement of "A couple of experienced, mobile monsters who will come in and set a very physical tone".

What do people want "enforcers" or mobile style? because you rarely get the two together at a position like lock.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:08 pm Would be surprised if Martin plays much rugby next year, outside of loan out to a Nat 1 team.

I do like the requirement of "A couple of experienced, mobile monsters who will come in and set a very physical tone".

What do people want "enforcers" or mobile style? because you rarely get the two together at a position like lock.
One of each but I’m a realistic person, I’d edge for someone more mobile like Petti (as I’ve touted multiple times before) to contrast our enforcer Spencer. Imo we should also be contacting Adam Beard’s agent amongst the region turmoil.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:08 pm Would be surprised if Martin plays much rugby next year, outside of loan out to a Nat 1 team.

Itoje, Lawes, Launchbury are all physical and mobile. We don't need a freak of nature like Skelton. A lump that gets round the pitch and likes the opposition to know about it and gets his team mates to follow his example. No one is expecting Nakawara style impact ball in hand.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:23 am

Itoje, Lawes, Launchbury are all physical and mobile. We don't need a freak of nature like Skelton. A lump that gets round the pitch and likes the opposition to know about it and gets his team mates to follow his example. No one is expecting Nakawara style impact ball in hand.
wouldn't call any of them Monsters though.

Speaking of which Tomas Lavanini being linked to us, in todays rugby paper.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:57 am

The penalty magnet? Might suit 46 but makes Barrow look like an angel and Anton Bresler like Jesus.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

JP14 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:58 am

The penalty magnet? Might suit 46 but makes Barrow look like an angel and Anton Bresler like Jesus.
Whilst I'd take Petti over Lavanini every day of the week I suppose Lavanini could be the big nasty "monster" people want

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNzOQylr7x4
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

People want an enforcer...
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

For me the best lock combination is an enforcer plus an "athlete". So a Johnno, Louis Deacon, Ed Slater, Martin Corry type of player combined with someone like Ben Kay, Geoff Parling or Graham Kitchener when he first joined us. Then supplement these with a back row who's a really good jumper like Peter O' Mahoney for Ireland to give an additional option. I believe Denton when he returns can fulfil this role.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:33 am People want an enforcer...
Days of the enforcer are gone. Dark arts these days are niggly bits. Look at the current master AWJ, fantastic bloke at getting under the skin of the opposition and getting away with it in the current era. Take him back 15 years to when we had Johnno and Kay and rugby was very different and he'd have his nose spread across his face inside the first 10 minutes and that would be an end to his niggling games.

If you look at Itoje he's always in the face of the opposition whether it's carrying, tackling, in the tight or when it all kicks off. He does it all with maximum physicality, doesn't take a backwards step. That's something we lack a little of in the second row. Kitch and Fitz are a bit nice. Slater has an edge to him and I see some of that in Wells.

Anyone know what the contract situation is with Ribbans at Saints. I'm not a fan of complimenting their players but I'd take him to the nicer part of the Midlands.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Spot on votc! As with the back row the second row is all about balance.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:31 am
Days of the enforcer are gone. Dark arts these days are niggly bits. Look at the current master AWJ, fantastic bloke at getting under the skin of the opposition and getting away with it in the current era. Take him back 15 years to when we had Johnno and Kay and rugby was very different and he'd have his nose spread across his face inside the first 10 minutes and that would be an end to his niggling games.

If you look at Itoje he's always in the face of the opposition whether it's carrying, tackling, in the tight or when it all kicks off. He does it all with maximum physicality, doesn't take a backwards step. That's something we lack a little of in the second row. Kitch and Fitz are a bit nice. Slater has an edge to him and I see some of that in Wells.

Anyone know what the contract situation is with Ribbans at Saints. I'm not a fan of complimenting their players but I'd take him to the nicer part of the Midlands.
I agree but weren't you last season calling for us to sign one?
rich1576

Post by rich1576 »

kpj tiger wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:23 am
JP14 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:58 am

Whilst I'd take Petti over Lavanini every day of the week I suppose Lavanini could be the big nasty "monster" people want

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNzOQylr7x4
Yes and we would play most of our games next season with 14 men. We need someone hard but fair
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Some people are never happy, the same was said of Genge when we signed him yet the club seem to have him under control.

We need uncompromising players like Lavanini and Taufua if we want to compete with the best. At the minute we have too few like Genge, Spencer, Thompson. The Tigers packs of old were built around such players.

For me Lavanini would be a great signing and exactly the sort of player we need. Big physicality and rough around the edges.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Really don't know that much about Lavanini other than that he's a bit of a thug as evidenced by the YouTube highlights. Found this interesting comment under one such clip...

"He is a different player now and a world class one at that! Any fan of the game would know this. He doesn’t deserve the negative title of his past. Look at what Manu Tuilagi did to Ashton and he’s treated like a hero. I think there are many more players that have done the same, but due to status, nationality or popularity, it’s gone unnoticed. It’s a shame this happened but credit to who he is now! Well done!"

So.......maybe!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:43 am
sam16111986 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:31 am

I agree but weren't you last season calling for us to sign one?
I want some one big and physical. I wish we could sign an enforcer to do what Johnno used to do for us because it would help us a great deal, the current laws make it nigh on an impossibility. Those that can niggle away and get away with it are worth far more than we can afford.

Snyman has been linked to Quins. He'd be a dream signing. He'd miss half the season though so the board would be slammed on here.