LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 6

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BG01

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 6

Post by BG01 »

Flash wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:35 pm
norfolkexpat wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:09 am We need 3 enforcer locks to go with Spencer.
I'd settle for one lock that's better than all our current ones.

Yes agreed.

For next year it looks like we have: Spencer, Green, Wells, Lewis, Voss?, Jordan, Martin. No idea what's going on with Fitzgerald, Mapapalangi or Voss actually but high chance they're off. Denton can also fill in (and would be a good partner for Spencer) but question marks over his health.

That's a pretty good bunch but compared to eg Sarries (with Itoje, Kruis, Skelton, Isiekwe, Day, Kpoku) it's clear we need to sign someone very good to leapfrog straight into the starting 23 if we're going to compete for the top 4. Probably only one person, but someone that can partner Spencer. It's probably the only area of our team where our first XV isn't top 4 level.

Wouldn't mind Jean Klyne...
Never believe generalisations
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

norfolkexpat wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:09 am We need 3 enforcer locks to go with Spencer.
When you say better - in what aspect? I've said this before - since Crofty retired, we've not looked a threat on opposition ball at all and we've not had a banker jumper who you could throw up at the front of a defensive lineout set and know with near 100% certainty that they'd come down with it, regardless of the pressure they are under. It's all well and good having two bruisers of locks to smash people and get around the park etc, but if we can't get turnover ball in the lineout and secure our own ball then we've not got the right balance (IMHO, of course)
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

BG01 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:48 pm

Yes agreed.

For next year it looks like we have: Spencer, Green, Wells, Lewis, Voss?, Jordan, Martin. No idea what's going on with Fitzgerald, Mapapalangi or Voss actually but high chance they're off. Denton can also fill in (and would be a good partner for Spencer) but question marks over his health.

That's a pretty good bunch but compared to eg Sarries (with Itoje, Kruis, Skelton, Isiekwe, Day, Kpoku) it's clear we need to sign someone very good to leapfrog straight into the starting 23 if we're going to compete for the top 4. Probably only one person, but someone that can partner Spencer. It's probably the only area of our team where our first XV isn't top 4 level.

Wouldn't mind Jean Klyne...
Kleyne would be a great shout.

We really do need a physical no.4 to partner Spencer. In comparison to the likes of Saracens, we are lacking in quality. Green is a very good squad player who I think will surprise some people next season, however, we need more than just two good locks to compete.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Gibson, Saints, did a very similar job to Crofty, when he was here, hes not a lock, not a starter at Saints, do we want him back to steal line out ball for us?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Gibson didn't leave on good terms apparently
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:13 pm Gibson didn't leave on good terms apparently
Under old coaches though, but it looks as if he is happy at Northampton.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

As I have previously stated, we need, in my humble opinion, three beasts for the 4, 5, and 8 positions, where our weaknesses have been badly exposed this season.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Dangerous4 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:36 pm As I have previously stated, we need, in my humble opinion, three beasts for the 4, 5, and 8 positions, where our weaknesses have been badly exposed this season.
Who would you recommend?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Dangerous4 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:36 pm As I have previously stated, we need, in my humble opinion, three beasts for the 4, 5, and 8 positions, where our weaknesses have been badly exposed this season.
I think we might get one more lock and one more backrow (hopefully an 8). With Wells, Spencer and Green there is one space with maybe Voss and then Jordan and Martin rounding out the range of lock options.

A couple of experienced, mobile monsters who will come in and set a very physical tone. Spencer has looked good when fit and Kalamafoni has looked good at times but he's being flogged every game for 80 minutes. Need more rotation.
Richardfje

Post by Richardfje »

What about Patrick Tuipolotu from NZ, a lot of fringe All Blacks are leaving, maybe he could come over to Europe?
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

People keep including George Martin in their list of possible Premiership locks, the lad I believe will one day make the grade but currently is way too young and is probably at least a couple of years away from being in contention.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

johnthegriff wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:07 am People keep including George Martin in their list of possible Premiership locks, the lad I believe will one day make the grade but currently is way too young and is probably at least a couple of years away from being in contention.
He will be in the development squad next season so I included him on basis of being part of the A league and prem cup squads (such as these go on next season with the RWC). It'll be an interesting step up for him as he's one of the biggest and most physical at academy level but that won't be the case at senior rugby. Thankfully from what I've seen he's got some skills as well, how long to take to adapt is anyone's guess.
BG01

Post by BG01 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:55 am
johnthegriff wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:07 am People keep including George Martin in their list of possible Premiership locks, the lad I believe will one day make the grade but currently is way too young and is probably at least a couple of years away from being in contention.
He will be in the development squad next season so I included him on basis of being part of the A league and prem cup squads (such as these go on next season with the RWC). It'll be an interesting step up for him as he's one of the biggest and most physical at academy level but that won't be the case at senior rugby. Thankfully from what I've seen he's got some skills as well, how long to take to adapt is anyone's guess.

Yes exactly this. Premiership locks next season likely to be Spencer, AN Other, Green, Wells, Lewis and Voss. Then there will be Jordan and Martin in the A league/Premiership Cup. Jordan could get some minutes at premiership level, like Lewis this season, but Martin unlikely to be getting serious minutes until the 2021/22 season.
Never believe generalisations
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

BG01 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:09 pm

Yes exactly this. Premiership locks next season likely to be Spencer, AN Other, Green, Wells, Lewis and Voss. Then there will be Jordan and Martin in the A league/Premiership Cup. Jordan could get some minutes at premiership level, like Lewis this season, but Martin unlikely to be getting serious minutes until the 2021/22 season.
Maybe worth keeping hold of Fitzgerald for another season. Can cover lock and no.6, also has the ability to offload in the tackle too.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:14 pm
BG01 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:09 pm

Maybe worth keeping hold of Fitzgerald for another season. Can cover lock and no.6, also has the ability to offload in the tackle too.
Meh. His form has been hit and miss for a couple of seasons. He isn't getting any younger and is certainly less mobile than he used to be. If we sign another lock and backrow with Denton recovering he's going to be well down the pecking order and not cheap either. If we can't bring in those additions then he can plug a squad gap for a year.