Tigers v Saints

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Saints

Post by Scott1 »

"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:58 pm https://www.northamptonsaints.co.uk/new ... -cup-final

Thoughts?
so much for the prem cup being a developmental competition
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

At least Sarries have gone down the right route! Good for us though,at least 15/16 players there that will be in the 23 to play us,let's hope it's an attritional barnburner!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

Will be supporting Sarries - they are using the competition to bring on younger players as intended . Saints have picked almost their best available team - lets hope they pick up a few injuries - only a 5 day turnround before Welford road .
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:56 pm
Scott1 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:58 pm https://www.northamptonsaints.co.uk/new ... -cup-final

Thoughts?
Saints have picked their strongest available 23 because this is their only realistic chance of winning anything this season. To be honest I'm not that bothered about the result. Next Friday is the important game. I would hope that with our returning England players and being at home we should have enough to win against a similar Saints 23.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:19 pm

Thoughts?
Saints have picked their strongest available 23 because this is their only realistic chance of winning anything this season. To be honest I'm not that bothered about the result. Next Friday is the important game. I would hope that with our returning England players and being at home we should have enough to win against a similar Saints 23.
And that has what to do with what I said? The Prem Cup is meant to be a developmental, anyone playing a full strength side should be expelled and heavily fined otherwise get rid of it and give the players extra rest and stop having to play League games whilst internationals are away
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Everyone keeps saying it is a development competition......it is a competition with silverware avaiable for the winners. This competition enables clubs to rest players and give others game times....nowhere does it state is a development competition so Saints and Sarries are entitled to pick whatever team they wish......didn’t Tigers play a strong team v Saints at Worcester in a Final and also against Exeter a few years ago?
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:51 pm Everyone keeps saying it is a development competition......it is a competition with silverware avaiable for the winners. This competition enables clubs to rest players and give others game times....nowhere does it state is a development competition so Saints and Sarries are entitled to pick whatever team they wish......didn’t Tigers play a strong team v Saints at Worcester in a Final and also against Exeter a few years ago?
Yes we did.
I'm sure Saints would argue, if challenged, that its not their full squad, I guess that's why they have listed their unavailable players.
They are simply hoping to win something!
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:19 pm

Thoughts?
Exactly this. Saints will want some silverware to show off after a season no better really than ours. The difference is that we would have not have picked an almost full strength side.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Just looking at Saints "premier signing?" James Haskell who was eventually signed up by Saints having left Wasps abruptly ~ Played 3 games Points scored zero! Good value? But apparently great on social media! :smt015
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

wormus wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:30 pm Just looking at Saints "premier signing?" James Haskell who was eventually signed up by Saints having left Wasps abruptly ~ Played 3 games Points scored zero! Good value? But apparently great on social media! :smt015
& to think quite a few people wanted him at Tigers.....
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

He was a good player, but not now. He seemed to go down hill,faster than a skier.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Skin_and_Muscle wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:34 pm
LE18 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:03 pm
voice of the crumbie wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:41 am

Williams is not an 8 period. There are tried and tested options. Assuming Denton is still injured Evans, O'Connor and Thompson have all played there. For balance I would have Evans or O'Connor at 7, Thompson at 8 and Williams at 6.
All of those fit are much lighter, they have 2 weeks to work on Williams at 8, we keep saying we need a big brute of an 8, Williams is the only one who could realistically be classed as a big brute. (other than Fred) So i don't think it would be too long a shot.
As much as a hefty option at 8 would be nice to see, I'm not sure it should come at the expense of rugby smarts. This isn't meant as a personal slight on Williams, but 8 is where you want your best reader (certainly in the pack, possibly on the park) of the game - O'Connor and Thompson are much better in this regard. 2 years would probably be a more realistic time frame for getting someone up to speed!
In an emergency, 2 weeks is a long time with given intensive training, I know he isn't a first or even 2nd choice 8, without Kali we are going to be lightweight, Spencer is relatively light, we must pair him with Kitch. Evans, O'Connor or Thomson are 2 stone lighter than Williams and his weight would be better deployed pushing from the back rather than from the side. Saints have been known to use the rolling maul a lot. I am not forwarding my opinions to the team, but as the board are known to read this forum, my advice might be noted. :smt001
BG01

Post by BG01 »

LE18 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:09 pm
Skin_and_Muscle wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:34 pm
LE18 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:03 pm

All of those fit are much lighter, they have 2 weeks to work on Williams at 8, we keep saying we need a big brute of an 8, Williams is the only one who could realistically be classed as a big brute. (other than Fred) So i don't think it would be too long a shot.
As much as a hefty option at 8 would be nice to see, I'm not sure it should come at the expense of rugby smarts. This isn't meant as a personal slight on Williams, but 8 is where you want your best reader (certainly in the pack, possibly on the park) of the game - O'Connor and Thompson are much better in this regard. 2 years would probably be a more realistic time frame for getting someone up to speed!
In an emergency, 2 weeks is a long time with given intensive training, I know he isn't a first or even 2nd choice 8, without Kali we are going to be lightweight, Spencer is relatively light, we must pair him with Kitch. Evans, O'Connor or Thomson are 2 stone lighter than Williams and his weight would be better deployed pushing from the back rather than from the side. Saints have been known to use the rolling maul a lot. I am not forwarding my opinions to the team, but as the board are known to read this forum, my advice might be noted. :smt001
How is Spencer relatively light? He's our heaviest back 5 player (and the second heaviest player in the whole squad), and heavier than any of the Saints players. He's light relative to a truck, but he's heavy for a rugby player.
Never believe generalisations
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Spencer is certainly our heaviest back five player but does not make the hard yards that someone his size should, as for an enforcer he is nowhere near in the same class as Martin Johnson and Danny Grewcock, two players who could intimidate the other sides, not any type of those players about now.