New Coach?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: New Coach?

Post by mol2 »

I suppose this has returned to the melting pot because we are still uncomfortably close to the bottom placed side.

Yes there is only another week of the 6 N to go but it’s still too close for comfort.

Some of our departing players look unmotivated and injuries have woefully exposed the depth of our squad.
bb2095

Post by bb2095 »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:08 pm Why o why is this rearing it’s head again.
Yes mistakes have been made previously but Geordan needs till the end of next season before he is judged. If that means European challenge cup for a season then so be it. I’m sure both Saracens and Exeter have played in that comp and they don’t change their coaches like last nights boxers and seem to be doing ok.
Give a whole season with his squad and his style and then judge him otherwise get over to the king power
Exactly. We need 2 or 3 years of stability.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

mol2 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:35 pm I suppose this has returned to the melting pot because we are still uncomfortably close to the bottom placed side.

Yes there is only another week of the 6 N to go but it’s still too close for comfort.

Some of our departing players look unmotivated and injuries have woefully exposed the depth of our squad.

This
+1
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

BFG is apparently concerned that I have backed every change all the way, that is incorrect, I have consistently stated that I think the Board were wrong to get rid of Cocker and have face to face informed Peter Tom & Simon Cohen of my opinion. That is the past, I always had reservations about MOC but believed he should have been given time to make his changes to the squad and a pre-season, I thought he would be given half a dozen games this season to secure his job, the Board acted quicker than I expected, I do support and agree with the appointment of Geordan Murphy and hope and expect the directors to support him with the acquisition of players to suit the style of rugby Geordan wants us to play.
For those critical of Geordan and the team at present please consider below what was arguably our expected first team as the season approached with support players, I have asterisked those players I believe to be unavailable last Friday.
1. Genge*. Bateman*, Maafu. Gigena.
2. Youngs, Polota-nau*. Kerr, Stevens*,
3. Cole*, Cortes* Hayes, Faeo, Hills,
4.Kitchener, Wells, Jordan, Lewis.
5. Spencer, Fitzgerald*. Lewis.
6. Denton*, Williams, Reffell*,
7, O'Connor.* Thompson. Evans.
8. Kalamafoni, Mapapalangi*. Tuilagi.
9.Youngs*, Harrison*, White*, Simmons.
10. Ford G*, Ford J, Hardwick,
11.Thompstone*, Olowofela,
12, Toomua*, Eastmond, Thacker*
13. Tuilagi*, Smith*, Owen*,
14. May*, Holmes. Aspland-Robinson,
15.Vieanu*. Tait*, Worth*.

Of course some players can play multiple positions and a couple of additions to the squad have been made but the umber of asterisks give some indication of the difficulties that Geordan has had to overcome, a number of the players listed as available have had lengthy spells out through injury during the season.
I expect to see changes in the squad for 2019/2020 season and I expect to see a considerable improvement in performance and results over the next twelve months justifying Geordan's claim to his job and the Boards decision to install him.
Knightonian

Post by Knightonian »

Great explanation of the availability (or lack there of) especially for centre and full back
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Well done John a very reasoned response and team analysis; 24 missing from any team is terrible and now we have a 3 match ban on Kalamafoni to add the pressure. So I suggest that you continue to pack your boots in your matchday rucsac! :smt002
I commend you John on your correct spelling of all the players names ~ Possibly a Messageboard first.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I agree it is impossible to get a team to perform consistently when vast parts of the squad is unavailable. I am not sure if Murphy is the right man in long term for the job.
However one thing that is certain, the failure of this club in recent years is due to the failure to do that which was always previously our greatest strength.. ie bringing Tigers academy players through to be the core of the team.
It is no accident that the two most successful teams in the league are those that use our exact model from the past.
It appears to me that we are now slowly getting back to that, however there is a three to five year gap in the chain. With people like Heyes, wells and worth breaking through and 2 years in succession of academy championships I anticipate us still being three to five years away from success again. In the mean time we need to muddle through as best we can.
If Cockers was guilty of not filling the pipeline then he is culpable , if the blame lays elsewhere then it it those that I blame. What is clear is cockers has performed since he left, we have not.
Whoever can exploit the raw young talent of rugby that surrounds Leicester and the midlands area is the person we need in charge. Frankly who that is I dont care!
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

There's no doubt Tigers face an availability crisis, but that was still an issue under Cockerill, MoC and Mauger, nothing new there.

]Three areas i'd ask about Murphy's performance to date: Forwards - how is the ball going forward, retention and availability going so far? Backs - how are the line breaks and try scoring going? Style of play - do we look remotely like we show signs to compete in the top half consistently? If after 6 months at the rein and nothings even changed slightly, then this long road I think is going to get even longer than the 2 to 3 years some predict.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

With regards to MightyMouse's post, MOC was IMO the issue over non-development. He stated he was first-team coach (i.e. not Development), to my memory avoided playing youngsters, and at Leinster was known as 'Black Door' after a local hostelry that shut the door on young people.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
nasher

Post by nasher »

Give Geordan a chance! If you want a new coach there is a Scalia Omnicity 42 seater on eBay for £39,000.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

nasher wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:37 am Give Geordan a chance! If you want a new coach there is a Scalia Omnicity 42 seater on eBay for £39,000.
Seems good value does it have its own toilet 😂😂
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Mark62 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:43 am
nasher wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:37 am Give Geordan a chance! If you want a new coach there is a Scalia Omnicity 42 seater on eBay for £39,000.
Seems good value does it have its own toilet 😂😂
Are you advertising?
nasher

Post by nasher »

No but I am fed up of pollsters continually wanting a new coach. The trouble is far higher than the coach!
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

jgriffin wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:55 am With regards to MightyMouse's post, MOC was IMO the issue over non-development. He stated he was first-team coach (i.e. not Development), to my memory avoided playing youngsters, and at Leinster was known as 'Black Door' after a local hostelry that shut the door on young people.
I agree JG. Our biggest mistake was appointing MOC head coach without a DOR above him. (For me Ged Glynn doesn't count because his role is more administrative rather than hands on with the players). Adequate as a number 2 coaching the backs (as we saw under Cockers and Meyer) and head coach thereafter with Cockers in charge but never in a million years was he the man for the top job. We didn't learn from Leinster's experience. We mistakenly believed that because he was successful here before he would be so again. There are 3 things I find it hard to forgive him for 1. Not developing young players 2. Letting Ed Slater go and 3. The shambles at the start of this season where our players were not adequately prepared.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:42 pm
jgriffin wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:55 am With regards to MightyMouse's post, MOC was IMO the issue over non-development. He stated he was first-team coach (i.e. not Development), to my memory avoided playing youngsters, and at Leinster was known as 'Black Door' after a local hostelry that shut the door on young people.
I agree JG. Our biggest mistake was appointing MOC head coach without a DOR above him. (For me Ged Glynn doesn't count because his role is more administrative rather than hands on with the players). Adequate as a number 2 coaching the backs (as we saw under Cockers and Meyer) and head coach thereafter with Cockers in charge but never in a million years was he the man for the top job. We didn't learn from Leinster's experience. We mistakenly believed that because he was successful here before he would be so again. There are 3 things I find it hard to forgive him for 1. Not developing young players 2. Letting Ed Slater go and 3. The shambles at the start of this season where our players were not adequately prepared.
I think MOC lacked belief in large parts of the current set up, just my opinion going on the body language.
He had no problem with bringing on the likes of Harrison and Tuilagi during his first spell with Leicester, if the quality was apparent then he gave youth the opportunity.
I can still remember MOC pairing Allen and Manu in the centres and some folk going potty about it on here saying Allen didn't offer enough in attack and Manu was too young and defensively naive.
Our current league position does back up MOC's reluctance to include the current youth, I haven't seen anything stand out and it's more in hope than certainty in my opinion.
These past few matches have been very disappointing and we are closer to relegation than ever.
MOC was lambasted for selecting the safe J Ford and yet he was the stand out in the Wasps win.
I was also under the impression that during his second spell MOC was simply head coach and not solely responsible for recruitment, I thought a committee did that sort of thing these days.
Expectations next season will be unrealistically high, the current state, new players and the World Cup won't bring the level of continuity required, in my opinion.