Manu to Racing 92? No! - Re-signed for Tigers!!!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: Manu to Racing 92?

Post by Mark62 »

strawclearer wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:06 pm
Mark62 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:03 pmWho is JD2
Jonathan Davies currently of Scarlets as opposed to 'Jiffy'...I assume.
Thanks. Certainly wouldn’t want Jiffy
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yes,that's why he's been coined JD2 to not mix them up.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Well Simon Cohen did acknowledge an inbalance in squad spending, let’s hope it’s soon rectified.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

JP14 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:52 pm
Scott1 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:39 pm JD2 is coming in for Toomua not Manu according to some.
We need centres but the money should be spent on the forwards!
The list of forwards potentially on the move that would offer value for money for the marquee spot isn't big sadly.

Sam Whitelock
RG Snyman
Lood de Jager
Pieter-Steph du Toit

Whitelock is rumoured a done deal to Toulon. Snyman apparently fancies the London lifestyle.

Part of me would love Genge to be offered a 4-5 year extension and make him a marquee player. With the money that Kitshoff has gone to Sale for it would cost marquee money to replace Genge with similar quality. Sign him to a long contract and look to build the pack around him for years to come.

It would also free up his not insignificant current wage within the cap to be invested into lock or back row.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Lood will be off to Sale most likely
Whitelock is in contract till end of next year.
Snyman Quins

I really don't see us getting a "marquee" lock.

Genge is currently one of the lower paid players, so wouldn't free up much cap either.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

He signed his current contract just after making his England debut and playing some fantastic rugby. He won't be earning what he's now worth having shown consistency but it won't be inconsiderable.

Point being though that if the club are struggling to recruit a top international lock or back row then I'd happily see a marquee spot be used to lock Genge down to a long contract. In my opinion that would be a good use in the long term.

Also a good way of getting ahead of Bristol looking to make a big offer when he's out of contract. Edinburgh have done very well to tie Mata to an extension a season before he's out of contract.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

ABClub wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:54 pm He signed his current contract just after making his England debut and playing some fantastic rugby. He won't be earning what he's now worth having shown consistency but it won't be inconsiderable.

Point being though that if the club are struggling to recruit a top international lock or back row then I'd happily see a marquee spot be used to lock Genge down to a long contract. In my opinion that would be a good use in the long term.

Also a good way of getting ahead of Bristol looking to make a big offer when he's out of contract. Edinburgh have done very well to tie Mata to an extension a season before he's out of contract.
Pretty sure he can't use that marquee spot.

The only spot he could use is Manu's.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Salary cap regulations

3.3 Excluded Players

(a) For the Salary Cap Year a Club shall be entitled to nominate up to two Excluded
Players.

(b) A Club shall nominate in writing to the Salary Cap Manager the name of their
Excluded Player(s). The nominations must be received by the Salary Cap Manager
prior to the end of the Salary Cap Year in which the Excluded Players are nominated
and any exclusion from the Senior ceiling will only be effective from the date of
receipt of that nomination.

(c) A Club shall only be entitled to nominate a Player as their first Excluded Player who:
(i) has been a Player of the Club for at least two full Salary Cap Years prior to the
Salary Cap Year in which he is nominated as the Excluded Player; or
(ii) has not been a Player of any Club during the previous Salary Cap Year, other
than a Player who (A) qualifies under Regulation 3.3(c)(i) or (B) has only
been a Player of a Club during the previous Salary Cap Year as a replacement
for an Injured Player following dispensation under Regulation 5; or
(iii) has been a Player (but not an Excluded Player) for the Club in the previous
Salary Cap Year and was not a Player for any other Club for at least one Salary
Cap Year immediately prior to joining the Club.

(d) A Club shall only be entitled to nominate a Player as a second Excluded Player who:
(i) has not been a Player of any Club during the previous Salary Cap Year; or
(ii) was that Club’s second Excluded Player in the previous Salary Cap Year.
He's been at the club two years so would be fine to take the first marquee spot from what I understand of that. Manu could remain the second excluded player despite being the higher paid player - if he re-signs of course.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

The performance of Mostart for Gloucester at the weekend demonstrated the impact a top class lock has on a team - two quality locks, exponential impact - and how the lack of quality locks really undermines a team. If we don't get the back 5 sorted with some quality we are dead in the water for another season.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Traveller wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:05 pm The performance of Mostart for Gloucester at the weekend demonstrated the impact a top class lock has on a team - two quality locks, exponential impact - and how the lack of quality locks really undermines a team. If we don't get the back 5 sorted with some quality we are dead in the water for another season.
Very sad but true. We have a great backline even with Toomua leaving. We need a hard nosed pack in order to give them the ball they need. Been lacking in that department for far too long.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

It's going extremely "interesting" to see our new squad for next season. :smt017 Will we be happy or will be sad, the news could be good, or the news could be bad. :smt016

Don't mean to be frivolous, but I am getting a little nervous.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Regardless of the squad,is the coaching good enough?! Thats what scares me!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Traveller wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:05 pm The performance of Mostart for Gloucester at the weekend demonstrated the impact a top class lock has on a team - two quality locks, exponential impact - and how the lack of quality locks really undermines a team. If we don't get the back 5 sorted with some quality we are dead in the water for another season.
Whilst I'm sure Glaws miss May I don't think they regret the deal. Prioritising strengthening their pack with a proven forward driven DOR has been a good move for them. Slater and Mostert are a very good pairing and the type of engine room you want come the playoffs.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:35 pm Lood will be off to Sale most likely
Snyman Quins

Genge is currently one of the lower paid players, so wouldn't free up much cap either.
Would Petti, if we signed him (not gonna happen but), be marquee?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

JP14 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:11 pm
RagingBull wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:35 pm Lood will be off to Sale most likely
Snyman Quins

Would Petti, if we signed him (not gonna happen but), be marquee?
Petti would be a very good signing but doubt he'd be on a big enough contract to be in a marquee spot ahead of Ford.

As Ford has been back at Tigers for two full salary cap years after this season he could be moved into a marquee spot. Hence freeing up cap space if Taufua or other signings were earning less than him.