New Coach?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: New Coach?

Post by jgriffin »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:16 am Why bring back the coach who was in charge when our present problems started?
Cockerill has improved because we sacked him, he was promoted above his ability with us & the rot started on his watch, we need to look forward not back.
I would of preferred a head coach with no previous connection to Tigers, a new DOR with that criteria is still a possibility.
Total disregard for the reasons for decline, that started when the BoD denied expenditure for years and continued until, hopefully, GMs appointment. RC didn't improve overnight to drag Toulon to the final, but he was at odds with some players and the BoD decided which way to go........
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

As I have stated elsewhere I would happily bring back "Cockers", but only if Murphy is having a bad season next year. He fully deserves the opportunity, although I feel that he doesn't have that special magic, and wont be forceful enough.

Things have gone from bad to worse since RC's departure, and it will take a miracle to revive our fortunes next season. Maybe, just maybe, Murphy will be a miracle worker. Twelve months from now, we should know the answer. :smt045
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

strawclearer wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:29 pm
BFG wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:03 pm
strawclearer wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:50 pm
Ridiculous suggestion. There is no mud in front of the Crumbie stand which doesn't even exist any more because it's called.......something else, apparently.
They should relay the pitch with a potato field from Lincolnshire immediately, defence sorted!
Planting potatoes would certainly give us the chance of picking something up at the end of the season!

(I'll get my coat.....)
Knowing the Tigers luck of late it will start the second famine?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
milesanderson
Tiger Cub

Post by milesanderson »

Well Coach Murphy needs a lesson or two in allowing imaginations to flourish , but he's so stuck in formulaic rugby that the players, many of whom are brilliant are mentally constipated. The joy has gone and the more they lose the worse it'll get. Recruit someone who can work on the players imaginations , allow them to flourish , stop having set formulas for every eventuality and allow individualism to sparkle . Then we'll start winning again. Its really simple Mr Murphy!
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

I just don't think Murphy has earned his place just yet, he hasn't been anywhere or done anything that made his bones to manage one of the biggest clubs in world rugby. Look at Gustard's CV compared to Geordie's, that's the example modern coaches should follow.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Such a shame that shorn of 19 players, losing a player in the warm up, having another sent off, a couple of posters want to slag off a head coach who's been in the job five minutes. Have a word with yourselves.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

ourla wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:56 am Such a shame that shorn of 19 players, losing a player in the warm up, having another sent off, a couple of posters want to slag off a head coach who's been in the job five minutes. Have a word with yourselves.
This. It's not even his squad.

We have 1 fit 9; the backline that started is literally the only fit guys left. No one expected us to go to Sale and win, and yet we were holding on until the red card. I was fearing a 50+ point defeat so for me it's a positive.

We won't finish top 4 this season, but top 6 is still achievable. We also wont get relegated. If nothing else weve still got to play Falcons. Add Manu, George, YBY, May, Cole and Genge to that side tonight along with Denton in the back row and we dont lose that game.

Do I think Smurf deserved the top job? Nope. Do I think he deserves a fair crack at the whip? Yes. This season isn't it IMO.

Getting the BoD to put their hands up and admit they've fudged decisions over the last 4 or 5 years would be a start. Ironically, Mr Cohen summed it up quite well when he said that the squad is a mix of Cockers style, Mauger style and Matts style.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

TTRITH wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:55 am
ourla wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:56 am Such a shame that shorn of 19 players, losing a player in the warm up, having another sent off, a couple of posters want to slag off a head coach who's been in the job five minutes. Have a word with yourselves.
This. It's not even his squad.

We have 1 fit 9; the backline that started is literally the only fit guys left. No one expected us to go to Sale and win, and yet we were holding on until the red card. I was fearing a 50+ point defeat so for me it's a positive.

We won't finish top 4 this season, but top 6 is still achievable. We also wont get relegated. If nothing else weve still got to play Falcons. Add Manu, George, YBY, May, Cole and Genge to that side tonight along with Denton in the back row and we dont lose that game.

Do I think Smurf deserved the top job? Nope. Do I think he deserves a fair crack at the whip? Yes. This season isn't it IMO.

Getting the BoD to put their hands up and admit they've fudged decisions over the last 4 or 5 years would be a start. Ironically, Mr Cohen summed it up quite well when he said that the squad is a mix of Cockers style, Mauger style and Matts style.
100% +++
Players on the move - Academy boys gaining experience -Injuries - players missing on international duty - Managing the team through ever changing rotation. Give the bloke a chance!!!! . Let him build the team and squad he wants to get the job done. Then and only then, hang him out to dry . Lets give him the next season or two. I for one would not have taken this poison chalice on. Whoever was brought in would have to put their own stamp on the team and would still have taken time to build. :smt013 :smt013 :smt013
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Tigers need to fix the head before it can sort out the body.

Very sorry Cohen has gotten so much abuse. (Which also goes to the players as well, but hey they are paid to play rugby so they shouldn't be such snowflakes right!)

But Cohen and Ged at the very least need to be replaced, Also the easiest to replace on the whole, getting the likes of Tom out would be very hard.
The CEO shouldn't have a say in the way the squad is built and should stick to the business side of things.

Ged well what has he done to justify his position?

Sort out the CEO and Director of rugby position before you can sort out the coaches.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Interesting RB. Do you think this is why they keep hiring internally so they don't get questioned and are afraid of outside "interference" if they did get a world class DOR? It's an interesting theory.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

There is no root cause of our apparent failure. The system is currently suffering variance from too many sources, internal and external, for a quick, knee jerk fix to be effective for the long term robustness of the aforesaid system.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:38 am Interesting RB. Do you think this is why they keep hiring internally so they don't get questioned and are afraid of outside "interference" if they did get a world class DOR? It's an interesting theory.
No I don't.
I think there is a lot of benefits to having coaches who know what the club is all about historically.

Look at the Champions cup quarter finalists.
Sarries rugby with Sanderson, Sorrell and before Gustard.
Leinster rugby have Cullen, farrell, Fogarty, Contepomi
Munster have Flannery and Jones
Toulouse have Mola, Sonnes, Servat, Bouilhou, Poitrenaud,
Racing have Laulala, Masoe,

There is big benefits to having that influence.

Trouble is we don't really have people with top elite level rugby experience running the day to day stuff of the club.
Toulouse is the model we should be looking at IMO.

I think they know that they need a coaching staff with the Tigers DNA, but the issues is their positions and they are not going to sign a person to replace them.
You can't get a world class DOR and a head of rugby ops because they both have the same jobs, and Ged won't resign and Cohen won't sack him.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Thanks RB,whatever reason we have gone down this route it's clearly not working. The tipping point for me was when Mauger was binned,that was the perfect time to get that DOR in and change things but for whatever reason the board bottled it and the rest is history.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:10 am Thanks RB,whatever reason we have gone down this route it's clearly not working. The tipping point for me was when Mauger was binned,that was the perfect time to get that DOR in and change things but for whatever reason the board bottled it and the rest is history.
The board decided that, that DOR was MOC. It was a terrible decision and now there's very little top DORs on the market. Maybe there'll be some people becoming available post RWC. Either way Murphy deserves at least a pre season.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

MOC was signed as a Head coach that would work under Ged for off field stuff.
MOC was not a DOR.

Tigers haven't had a DOR since Cockers was sacked.