Sale vs Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Sale vs Tigers

Post by ABClub »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:51 pm Calmed down a bit now but why are posters automatically thinking that we will rebuild next season and turn this battleship around? Blind faith? Evidence points to us just getting worse. AP winners to losing finalists to losing SFists to not qualifying for playoffs to looking like not qualifying for RCC rugby this season. When's it going to stop? I'm not buying that there going to be a guaranteed improvement next season and you know where the next step backwards goes!
Instead of calling me all the names under the sun or selling me dreams please someone tell me why this decline is all of a sudden gonna come to an end?
Biggest problem areas in the playing squad this season:

1) A set of under performing locks and back row players characterised by all being good players but none top draw, with several arguably earning a lot for what they provide.

2) Lack of depth in the centres with Tait and Smith out injured, Owen struggling after his latest injury.

Standout recruitment so far for next season:

Jordan Taufua - A top draw blindside and number 8.
Calum Green - A lineout lock who won't break the bank but should add significantly compared to current lock performances.
Noel Reid - A very shrewd signing, the sort that Tigers have lacked a bit in recent years.
Jaco Taute - An extra carrier in the centre with lots of experience and versatility.

Some feel the coaching not the squad is the biggest problem, in which case it's a different discussion. Personally I think the playing squad is very poor in key areas but by the sounds of the above signings the weakest areas are being looked at.

Vitally I am optimistic about the youngsters getting game time. Squad depth has largely suffered due to talent not being brought through as needed, hence overpriced squad signings have been made to pad out the squad. Kerr, Heyes, Lewis, Reffell, White, Simmons, Hardwick, Olowofela and Worth are all placed to play important roles in the squad next season. That is definitely a move in the right direction.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

...and across the road from Oval Park, Oadby Town FC go under apparently.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Did anybody really expect anything different from tonight based on the season so far? Only entertainment I got really was watching Faff repeatedly shank his kicks. For my two cents worth we desperately need more balance in the squad, can't keep pinning all our hopes on six lads who only play 10 games or so for us per season.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Thanks for the posters who have took time out to answer my thoughts. Appreciate it!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

ABClub wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:04 pm
Scott1 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:51 pm Calmed down a bit now but why are posters automatically thinking that we will rebuild next season and turn this battleship around? Blind faith? Evidence points to us just getting worse. AP winners to losing finalists to losing SFists to not qualifying for playoffs to looking like not qualifying for RCC rugby this season. When's it going to stop? I'm not buying that there going to be a guaranteed improvement next season and you know where the next step backwards goes!
Instead of calling me all the names under the sun or selling me dreams please someone tell me why this decline is all of a sudden gonna come to an end?

1) A set of under performing locks and back row players characterised by all being good players but none top draw, with several arguably earning a lot for what they provide.

2) Lack of depth in the centres with Tait and Smith out injured, Owen struggling after his latest injury.

Calum Green - A lineout lock who won't break the bank but should add significantly compared to current lock performances.
Noel Reid - A very shrewd signing, the sort that Tigers have lacked a bit in recent years.
Jaco Taute - An extra carrier in the centre with lots of experience and versatility.

Some feel the coaching not the squad is the biggest problem, in which case it's a different discussion. Personally I think the playing squad is very poor in key areas but by the sounds of the above signings the weakest areas are being looked at.

Vitally I am optimistic about the youngsters getting game time. Squad depth has largely suffered due to talent not being brought through as needed, hence overpriced squad signings have been made to pad out the squad. Kerr, Heyes, Lewis, Reffell, White, Simmons, Hardwick, Olowofela and Worth are all placed to play important roles in the squad next season. That is definitely a move in the right direction.
Kicking out time at the Wilted Daffodil. Now known as the Cocky Leek! Posh Richard rubbing it in, the Taffs gleefully anticipating roasted jock on the morrow. Dino puts his arm round me.
"Now you know why you wear red green and white......it's just like supporting Italy.......or the Dragons!"

I could have done without that last remark!

Seriously, ref your last paragraph, bringing the youth on is laudable. But we need retention and development as they mature. We don't wan to be a feeder club for the others.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Good post ABClub

And I also recommend listening to the Talking Tigers podcast with Simon Cohen as I've just done.

The board made the mistake of making a short term appointment with O'Connor which for a few months gave the illusion that we still had it. But we needed a reset and now we are getting it.

I do hope we finish top 6 though as I do believe that is where we should be and it will help with the development of the squad next season to competing at the level that ultimately we want to be successful at.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

[

[/quote]
+1 :smt038 :smt038
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Not being in the Champions Cup next season would be a benefit as far as I'm concerned, in a RWC year it would allow us to concentrate on the league & rest our international players.
It might also prove stark evidence of what will happen if we don't get back on course, but also provide a marketing opportunity for home Euro games for cheap tickets & a large crowd.
The parallels with Liverpool FC are there if you look at them.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Penalty try from the scrum!! :smt017 but then again I suppose it’s easy with no No8 at the tail. It does seem to me that whenever Diamond has a hissy fit about referees he gets his way the week after.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

A great club that won multiple european cups and league titles, playing in the european challenge cup......

That was Toulouse a couple of seasons ago, now look at them.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:01 am Thanks for the posters who have took time out to answer my thoughts. Appreciate it!
Would be nice if you answered my question too to be honest but I suppose I shouldn't expect anything different.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Well after the first 5 promising minutes Tigers didn't trouble the scoreboard again, nor did they look like doing so. In fact if FdK could kick it would have been even worse. :smt009

Sure we have internationals and injuries but that's true every season and doesn't mask the fact that this is without doubt the worst Tigers team I have ever seen.

BTW. Did anyone mention to Josh Beaumont that the Oscars and BAFTAs awards season is over for this year?
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Had a terrible nightmare last night we were crushed by Sale!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

We are learning to take it on the chin. We are being moulded in the fires of defeat .Its how we come through the other side.
All teams, Empires and Dogs have their day . Its how you adapt and learn from past mistakes.

Boy are we learning!!!!! :smt017 :smt017
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I don't know why the odd poster is having a hissy fit over this result as it was predictable.
My main concern is that I am not convinced by these youngsters, they're not contributing positively in my opinion.
They were surrounded by proven seasoned players last night and yet it was a real struggle to play before the red card, after the red card the lack of any grit and aggression to stop Sale playing was evident.
I am not seeing Leicester versions of Willis, Earl, Searle, Cockanasiga, Randall, or young Ben Curry and Reed who were on show for Sale last night.
Reed is only 19 years old and yet by comparison made ours of a similar age look like babies, either that's a talent ID or player development issue in my opinion.
I'm not convinced that those pulling the strings know what they are doing enough to get out of such a large hole, especially given that they contributed to getting us into it in the first place!